Health cover

Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

GillianH99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health cover

We are planning to move to Spain but are worried about how my husband's health needs will be covered - both in the current situation and if the reciprocal arrangement does not continue post Brexit. He has diabetes and high blood pressure and in the UK gets everything free. Would we have to take out insurance and if so what would the ball park figure per month be?
Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health cover

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Is your husband a pensioner?

Rosemary
Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:27 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Is your husband a pensioner?

Rosemary
Post Brexit, that may not matter - who knows what the arrangements will be.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Post Brexit, that may not matter - who knows what the arrangements will be.
She is asking about the current situation first and foremost so at the moment it is relevant.

Rosemary
Old Nov 24th 2016, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

No - he is not yet a pensioner. Has another 5 years to go.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 7:45 am

It would be a good idea to approach some insurance companies to find out what they would charge.

No-one can tell you what will happen post Brexit which was confirmed by a message that I had this week from the Department of Health.

Rosemary
Old Nov 25th 2016, 9:59 am
Just Joined

I have had a look at insurance but how do I know which companies are reputable? The only comparison sites I have found are all in Spanish!
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:16 am

I do not have any personal experience of health insurance but it has been discussed many times on here so you could do a search of the forum or wait until members with the right experience respond to your thread.

Good luck with your research.

Rosemary
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:20 am

One thing that I can tell you is that the insulin and test strips are obtained by a prescription from the doctor and the needles are provided by the nurse of the health centre.

Rosemary
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:22 am

Here is one thread on health insurance.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...alth+insurance

Rosemary
Old Nov 25th 2016, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GillianH99
I have had a look at insurance but how do I know which companies are reputable? The only comparison sites I have found are all in Spanish!
Sanitas is probably the best known Medical Insurance in Spain and here is their international site in English

Sanitas health insurance for expats in English

This is their Spanish domestic site in English

Sanitas Más Salud

It might be a good idea to start studying Spanish before you move over as it will make your life here a lot easier
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I'm going to be as gentle as possible, having needed Private Health Insurance when we became Residents. Your Husbands condition will be excluded in Sanitas' eyes as 'pre existing'. Best bet to contact as many Insurers as possible and put your cards on the table. Just be prepared that IF a Company will cover him, then the premium may be high. Under private Insurance, you also pay for all drugs etc. However they MAY be reasonably priced in Spain. |Again, research is the key before you do anything radical.

All the very best.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 4:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Having a history of blood pressure and diabetes will exclude a whole load of possible claims. You should look at the possibility of buying into the Spanish NHS under the "Convenio Especial". This costs €60 a month per person up to age 65. It does NOT exclude pre- existing conditions, but it does not cover the cost of medicines.

Some info at https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/what-i-am-covered-for-under-the-convenio-especial-scheme/

Once either of you reach UK retirement age you may be eligible for free full cover, including medicine, under the reciprocal arrangement for pensioners ( assuming that Brexit does not change that arrangement).
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the responses - more research needed I think!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.