Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health Care in Spain

Health Care in Spain

Old May 4th 2009, 12:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care in Spain

Originally Posted by emsr2d2
This is a rather timely thread, and I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I came over to Madrid in early March to see if I could make a life there. I'm pretty happy there and have rented a flat until the end of June. I'm not working, so not paying into any Social Security etc.

I have popped back to the UK for a few days to tie a few things up, and while I've been here I've been pretty ill - very high temp amongst other things (I won't go into detail!) I only have one day left in the UK and it's unlikely that I'll manage to get an appointment with my UK GP before I fly back to Madrid on Tuesday.

What I don't know is what situation I'll be in if I get back to Madrid and continue to feel ill or have a relapse. If it doesn't exactly class as an emergency then I wouldn't need to go to hospital and make use of my EHIC card. So can I go to a Spanish doctor and get any treatment if I'm not there officially?

I have an appointment to get my NIE/Certificate of Residence but not until mid-June. I don't know where that leaves me health-wise until then.
If you were to have got an E106 sorted before you came you would have found yourself with a temporary sip card which would have given you treatment under the Spanish system for up to about 2 years depending on your previous UK contributions. It may not be too late, but its probably going to take a while to sort I'm afraid.

Im still confused. As a Spanish resident you cant use your UK EHIC card afaik to gain access to the Spanish system, its for temporary (i.e. holiday) use when you are a British resident abroad
Old May 4th 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

Yes, but if you were a UK pensioner living here, you could get a Spanish version of the EHIC from the INSS.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
Yes, but if you were a UK pensioner living here, you could get a Spanish version of the EHIC from the INSS.
Yes of course, but the person above is talking about using their UK EHIC for treatment in Spain whilst being a Spanish resident I think
Old May 4th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

UK EHICs are only valid if you're a resident of the UK.
Old May 4th 2009, 5:47 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
I believe that anyone can get a Spanish version of the EHIC if they are resident in Spain - or am I mistaken?
Old May 4th 2009, 6:56 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We have the EHIC (and in fact have just renewed it) - as Spanish residents this covers us in Europe OUTSIDE Spain (including the UK) whilst we are visiting other countries.

We are covered in Spain on my husband's E121.

The EHIC (called Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea in Spain) is for countries where you are non-resident. If you are resident in Spain your healthcare must be covered by paying into the system, or by an E106 or E121, or private health insurance.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I believe that anyone can get a Spanish version of the EHIC if they are resident in Spain - or am I mistaken?
Only if they are paying SS, the poster was not, hence the answer, "Yes, but if you were a UK pensioner living here, you could get a Spanish version of the EHIC from the INSS."
Old May 5th 2009, 6:19 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Only if they are paying SS, the poster was not, hence the answer, "Yes, but if you were a UK pensioner living here, you could get a Spanish version of the EHIC from the INSS."
JDR - I cannot believe what you are saying! I don't pay SS and am too young for an E121 so I have private cover in Spain.

Are you truly saying that I can NOT get emergency treatment in UK or France (for example) under the EHIC (Spanish equivalent) unless I pay for it?

In UK, even if I had private health care, I could get the EHIC for foreign care totally free.
Old May 5th 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

JDR - I cannot believe what you are saying! I don't pay SS and am too young for an E121 so I have private cover in Spain.

Are you truly saying that I can NOT get emergency treatment in UK or France (for example) under the EHIC (Spanish equivalent) unless I pay for it?

In UK, even if I had private health care, I could get the EHIC for foreign care totally free.
You can get emergency treatment in the UK without the EHIC. However, any follow-up treatment could be charged. The reason you can get the EHIC if you were living in the UK is because the NHS is a resident-based system, whereas in Spain it's a contribution-based system.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:57 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I am saying you have to be in the SS system in Spain before they will issue you with a card, but as DWPinSpain says it appears you will get the same cover anyway.
You should always take out holiday health cover as repatriation to Spain or ongoing treatment is not included.