Reload this Page >

Health Care in Spain

Health Care in Spain

Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

lance47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Care in Spain

Can anyone help?

My wife and I have recently taken early retirement and moved to Spain. We have a small flat in the UK for my wife to go back to to visit her family and also for investment purposes, so have a UK address as well. So far, we have not taken residencia in Spain and are still making N. I. contributions in the UK in order that we may receive full penson at retiral age. I am 57, so have 7 years to go until then. I am not working in Spain.

We had intended to take out private medical care here in Spain. My problem is that I have been turned down for cover by private companies because of a problem I had 2 years ago. As I understand it, I will be able to access the Spanish health care system free when I reach 65 years of age.

So my questions are...............

If I need urgent medical attention here in Spain in the next 7 years, will I have to pay for it , and

if the treatment is non-urgent, could I go back to UK and receive it there under the NHS?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 1:59 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

The National Health Service (NHS) is a residence-based scheme. Entitlement to use the services of the NHS is not dependent on nationality nor is it reliant on taxes you may have contributed. You simply have to live here for the majority of the time. It is also essential that a UK resident maintains a permanent UK address that is registered in his or her own name. It is not enough to simply be living with friends or relatives on a casual basis.

The Department of Health' view is that for someone who wishes to consider himself or herself to be ordinarily resident in the UK, and therefore a health care responsibility of the NHS, one must remain in the UK for at least six months in any twelve-month period. Therefore if you are planning on spending a greater period abroad you would not be considered a UK health care responsibility and would not be entitled to the E111 form.

Last edited by sibsie; Apr 15th 2004 at 2:02 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

lance47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your prompt reply. I take it then that the answer to my first question will be yes. And if I cannot afford the treatment............?

Just one other point, how does the Department of Health know how long I am spending in or outside the UK?
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:19 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to use the pay as you go system in Spain, though it is relatively cheap. You may want to look at Sanitas who are the main provider there.

As for how you cheat the system in the Uk, that's entirely up to you!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 9:32 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought as I seem to remember when I was offered private healthcare in the UK I would be covered if i were taken unwell anywhere in the world.

As you are still technicaly a british citizen why not take out private healthcare here (probably will be very expensive due to your previous health issue) but at least you will know you're covered.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:11 am
Just Joined

movetogandia is an unknown quantity at this point

My folks moved to Spain a couple of years ago, and have extensive experience of the Spanish health system.

Might I suggest perusing my father's web pages on the Spanish health system and Residency options.

If you have further queries, try mailing him your query, I'm sure he'll be pleased to help.

HTH

Steve