British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Health care experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/health-care-experience-636061/)

Cats-R-Us Oct 16th 2009 2:15 pm

Health care experience

Thankfully we are a health pair and don't have a lot of experience of hospitals either in the UK or Spain but have always heard that the Spanish system is great (I know some have knocked it though). Last Sunday my husband had a sharp pain in his right side (front). By Tuesday it was bad enough for him to agree to go to the Doctor (everything closed on Monday for national fiesta day). The doctor said she didn't think it was his appendix but to be sure gave us a form and told us to go to the emergency department at the local hospital. We got there about 11.30am. He was admitted at 9.30pm after having had blood tests, ECG, urine sample taken, ultra-sound scan and finally a CAT scan - how is that for a thorough check and all in one day. Once in the hospital bed a doctor came after 5 minutes and said he thought it was an appendix problem and they would operate 1 hour later (my husband hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast so no problem there). Thankfully there were no complications (other than my husband's poor Spanish) and he was sent home today (Friday). Certainly can't fault the system here. The staff were friendly and efficient, the hospital was spotless (beds and gowns changed every day too) and even the food he was given was not only tasty but served hot/cold as appropriate. The only thing that may have caused a problem is that although he is now over 65, we are still waiting for his E121 to arrive which could have meant we would have had to pay (apparently you cannot reclaim any money spent before the form is processed even if you are over 65). Luckily I was 60 a few years ago and knew that I could have him covered as a dependent, until he could be covered in his own right, as I was receiving my state pension. Always knew that paying a full stamp would prove worthwhile some day.

jdr Oct 16th 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Health care experience

Great story and hope he is on the mend.

I can only echo how great the Spanish health system is as I had a Hernia op a few months ago and also received excellent treatment. :thumbup::thumbup:

missile Oct 16th 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks for sharing your story and I wish your DH a speedy recovery :fingerscrossed:

agoreira Oct 16th 2009 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 8021571)
Great story and hope he is on the mend.

I can only echo how great the Spanish health system is as I had a Hernia op a few months ago and also received excellent treatment. :thumbup::thumbup:

Even the best have their off days!
http://www.diariosur.es/20091014/mal...-20091014.html

jackytoo Oct 16th 2009 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 8021825)

I don't think it's kosher to put anything negative on here, worst than spamming:rofl:

agoreira Oct 17th 2009 7:24 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 8022499)
I don't think it's kosher to put anything negative on here, worst than spamming:rofl:

You could be right!:) This was also in another Brits in Spain forum, and despite hundreds of reads, no comments. Strange, you always get good feed back, anything negative is generally ignored, and they all seem to know lots of bad cases of the NHS! In a recent EU report of health systems, out of 33 EU countries Spain came 21st(?), the much slated NHS, about 14th. So I'd prefer to go with the scientifically researched opinions rather than a few rose tinted views.

mikelincs Oct 17th 2009 9:14 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 8023381)
You could be right!:) This was also in another Brits in Spain forum, and despite hundreds of reads, no comments. Strange, you always get good feed back, anything negative is generally ignored, and they all seem to know lots of bad cases of the NHS! In a recent EU report of health systems, out of 33 EU countries Spain came 21st(?), the much slated NHS, about 14th. So I'd prefer to go with the scientifically researched opinions rather than a few rose tinted views.

In a WHO report about health services over the world, Spain came 6th UK came 24th. So you reads your report and takes your choice, statistics are only as good as the way the questions are formulated, and the way the answers are calculated. Remember the old saying,' there's lies, damn lies and statistics'.

jdr Oct 17th 2009 10:17 am

You go with that then, I would sooner go with my own experiences than any falsified government statistics. lol

Mitzyboy Oct 17th 2009 10:19 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 8022499)

With respect, thats not true at all. However, there are those on there who will refute any positive comments at all with negative comments all the time, whatever the subject, and people do get a bit tired of that ... yes! :)