Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health care for early retirees in Valencia

Wikiposts

Health care for early retirees in Valencia

Old Dec 23rd 2012, 6:16 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care for early retirees in Valencia

Anyone in the Valencian region have any concerns about the present situation regarding availability of medication and ongoing problems at the Pharmacias ?

I'm hearing a lot of scare stories, though I'm probably not fully aware of the true facts, however unless the various issues are sorted out I would have thought it would be of great concern to long term residents who will be totally reliant on the Valencian health service in months and years to come.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 6:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Anyone in the Valencian region have any concerns about the present situation regarding availability of medication and ongoing problems at the Pharmacias ?

I'm hearing a lot of scare stories, though I'm probably not fully aware of the true facts, however unless the various issues are sorted out I would have thought it would be of great concern to long term residents who will be totally reliant on the Valencian health service in months and years to come.
yes it's a worry - & I think there will be more strikes yet

during the last strike some farmacias were only processing the prescriptions of 'regular' customers - others were running out of some medications & only ordering them in for cash purchases
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:38 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Not had problems getting any medication here in Valencia but the Chemists have been on strike a few times so if I had needed something urgently it would not have been so easy to get. ASAICS no need to panic yet.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the original point - no one seems to have mentioned referring to the UK in Spain site which does a pretty good job of explaining the new entitlement.

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...thcare-updates

I have in fact today applied (as an early retiree) for my SIP (the Valencia version) card to access Spanish healthcare and after producing the DWP letter, passport, residencia, social security number, padron and Spanish tax return I was accepted and have a temp SIP card with a perm one being issued in April.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Albi is an unknown quantity at this point

Read through everything and am still confused. Somebody mentioned about having to be resident here before April 2012, does this mean you are not covered for health care until you reach state pensionable age? Also is it possible to buy into the Valencian Health Care System if you only become resident in 2013?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albi
Read through everything and am still confused. Somebody mentioned about having to be resident here before April 2012, does this mean you are not covered for health care until you reach state pensionable age? Also is it possible to buy into the Valencian Health Care System if you only become resident in 2013?
yes, that's exactly the situation unless you qualify for S1s having up to date NI payments in the UK - that would cover you for up to two years

when the new rules were announced they said at the time that there would be a facility to 'buy in' to the system - but I haven't heard any more about it

until about April 2012 the same system was in place in Valencia, but around that time they stopped new subscriptions

Last edited by lynnxa; Jan 8th 2013 at 7:29 am.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

For those who became residents after the 24th of April 2012, and who otherwise fall into the category of “personas sin recursos”, a new agreement is about to be published whereby they will be able to voluntarily contribute to the Spanish Social Security System on a monthly basis and thereby receive full sanitary assistance.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by spainrico
For those who became residents after the 24th of April 2012, and who otherwise fall into the category of “personas sin recursos”, a new agreement is about to be published whereby they will be able to voluntarily contribute to the Spanish Social Security System on a monthly basis and thereby receive full sanitary assistance.
yes, that's what was announced back in August - any idea when this will be published?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

I will check my source and get back.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Got an instant response:

"No, (dont know exactly when) but they said it will be very soon now."
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Albi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for responses to my recent post, I will watch out for any developments.