Health care

Old Oct 5th 2014, 5:55 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I have to say that I agree with Fred on this and the UK Government are simply wrong in their use of terminology.
You are quite right, it is the terminology used in the translations.

To reside (as an English verb) means to stay in one place - it does not imply a time scale.

The Spanish law uses the verb "permanecer" which means to stay, not necessarily to reside permanently.

That law also refers to a signatory on the register applying later to take up residency.

To me, that clearly indicates that there is no question of automatically being "deemed" to be a "resident just by signing on the register.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
Dear Rosemary I hear what you say and from your posts I think you are a convert to most things Spanish.

So my wife has suffered from Rhematoid Arthritis for over 38 years and her fingers and feet are deformed. Without Humira (Google please) then life would be unbearable and going to meet our maker would be soon upon us.

So line of least resistance stay in the UK or go back to France where and sorry no one will convince me otherwise the Health system surpasses both the UK and Spain.

We want one last hurrah and for my wife to spend some valuable time with her brother in Calpe but seriously would you take a chance on Spain. Better the devil you know?

Rosemary and maybe it is a cause of the malaise in the UK but when faced with medical needs the medics do the work and argue later as to costs and who pays them. What do you say to that?
From what you have said in the past the biggest problem that you face is not knowing whether it will be possible to be able to get her the necessary medication. Is it frightfully expensive because of course that is a huge factor?

I was paying around 100 euros a month buying necessary items for my husbands care but was also receiving possibly double that amount on specific prescriptions which changed constantly. One month I might be able to fulfill most of his needs via prescriptions and then things would change and the new system would not be available unless I paid. One of the last expensive things that I had to buy in this manner I ended up ordering from the UK because the chemist would not buy it in as they had to buy a box so could not risk not selling ones that I did not need.

It is the insecurity that this develops that is difficult to deal with so I do understand your concerns for your wife.

Rosemary
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Rosemary here not the playing the card for someone who I love and is denied the appropriate medication but a call on us as a society to react.

It is alleged that Spain has and will continue to suffer from feathering the pockets of others by way of bribes and the like. It is endemic in society and on a bigger scale those who are Heads of big Co-operations use available tax laws to provide dividends for those who produce the capital and to by-pass moral but not legal obligations. In Wales we have a huge Amazon where does its profits go certainly not to the HMRC.

However I digress.

Spain and here no apologies is a system that has suffered at the hands of those who have gone before. If a PM was alleged to have had his hands in the pot in say the UK he would have gone. Then in France Hollande and with four children out of wedlock goes with the patch in France.

I live in a different society to which I grew up in and who believed we look after one's citizens.

What do I know. What I do is that the treatment in Spain health wise has some limitations both to its citizens and those who cross its boundaries.

But equally the EU has a mountain of problems but Rosemary the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

To make a decision you have to have a fair degree of certainty. That does not exist today in Spain.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You are quite right, it is the terminology used in the translations.

To reside (as an English verb) means to stay in one place - it does not imply a time scale.

The Spanish law uses the verb "permanecer" which means to stay, not necessarily to reside permanently.

That law also refers to a signatory on the register applying later to take up residency.

To me, that clearly indicates that there is no question of automatically being "deemed" to be a "resident just by signing on the register.
The law in relation to residency and fiscal residency and all that goes with that has caused many Law Lords in the Court of Appeal problems. Centres of economic interests and the like. It is not a science and many leading silks have made plenty of peseta (shows my age) in trying to argue their case.

It depends upon the facts and what a reasonable man as in Lord Alfred Denning thinks.

Here a salutary lesson if you are going as a resident of France and involved in a divorce to Ascot for the races. Upon arrival and the guy was widely recognised as having a love for racing in the UK was served a writ by his wife.

Their Lordships view was that due to his many soirées to the UK for horse-racing he was resident in the UK and the Divorce Laws applied to him.

He paid up.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:11 am
Just Joined

cp109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all!

I have a (probably stupid) question on the topic:

I now live in Barcelona and I'm contributing to SS. My understanding is that public health care services here in Catalonia are offered by CatSalut and I need to apply for a 'Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual'. Is this card valid only in Catalonia or in the whole Spain? Do I need to apply for anything else? (apart from the Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea)

Thanks a lot!!!
Christiana
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cp109
Hi all!

I now live in Barcelona and I'm contributing to SS. My understanding is that public health care services here in Catalonia are offered by CatSalut and I need to apply for a 'Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual'. Is this card valid only in Catalonia or in the whole Spain? Do I need to apply for anything else? (apart from the Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea)

Thanks a lot!!!
Christiana
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:08 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Thanks a lot!!!
Christiana
Unfortunately, each autonomous region is responsible for their own health care. Consequently, if you have a card in one area, it MAY not be accepted elsewhere. This is hoping to be changed - but it hasn't happened yet.

The TSE is ONLY for use outside of Spain whilst on holiday.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately, each autonomous region is responsible for their own health care. Consequently, if you have a card in one area, it MAY not be accepted elsewhere. This is hoping to be changed - but it hasn't happened yet.

The TSE is ONLY for use outside of Spain whilst on holiday.
Thanks for your reply snikpoh! When you say 'MAY', what do you mean? Does it depend on the sort of medical assistance needed or on the good will of the person in charge?

So, just to get in right, health care is covered within your autonomous region and outside Spain, but not in the other autonomous regions within Spain? It doesn't make much sense to me.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 7:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply snikpoh! When you say 'MAY', what do you mean? Does it depend on the sort of medical assistance needed or on the good will of the person in charge?

So, just to get in right, health care is covered within your autonomous region and outside Spain, but not in the other autonomous regions within Spain? It doesn't make much sense to me.
I agree - some regions do accept cover from elsewhere but some don't (I'm also not sure how you'de find out about this).

The issue is that there is no national health service so, if you pay in one area, it's a nightmare to have to cross-charge another area.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

When you say regions is that Andalucia, Murcia and Valencia for eg or Cadis Malaga, Granada and Almeria. Are the 4 than I named provinces within the region of Andalucia?

Hope that makes sense?
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

The autonomous communities are;

Castile and León
Andalusia
Castile–La Mancha
Aragon
Extremadura
Catalonia
Galicia
Valencian Community
Murcia
Asturias
Navarre
Madrid
Canary Islands
Basque Country
Cantabria
La Rioja
Balearic Islands
Ceuta
Melilla
Old Oct 5th 2014, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

With the little spanish I know, I managed to ask at my local health centre. TSI is valid only in Catalonia, but with the proof of the SS registration one can receive treatment in the rest of Spain as well.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 10:05 pm

With the little spanish I know, I managed to ask at my local health centre. TSI is valid only in Catalonia, but with the proof of the SS registration one can receive treatment in the rest of Spain as well.
Which possibly means that expats have an advantage over Spanish Nationals.

Rosemary
Old Oct 5th 2014, 10:21 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Which possibly means that expats have an advantage over Spanish Nationals.

Rosemary
Why? Only if they're working surely?

What about people who, like me, are not working and are not of pensionable age?
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:05 pm

Why? Only if they're working surely?

What about people who, like me, are not working and are not of pensionable age?
I should have said "some expats".

To be honest with you I find the whole thing extremely confusing due to the differences between areas.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.