Health Care

Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health Care

Just a thought. If you don´t have private health care in Spain and you are seriously ill, possibly dying, and you are not allowed to go back to the UK for health treatment because you have been living out of the UK for more than 6 months, what would happen if you had no resources at all. Would you just be allowed to pop your clogs? What happens to the Human Rights Act there with the clause, "The Right to Life". Perhaps Cherie Blair would like to try a test case!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:10 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care

Originally Posted by glynis
Just a thought. If you don´t have private health care in Spain and you are seriously ill, possibly dying, and you are not allowed to go back to the UK for health treatment because you have been living out of the UK for more than 6 months, what would happen if you had no resources at all. Would you just be allowed to pop your clogs? What happens to the Human Rights Act there with the clause, "The Right to Life". Perhaps Cherie Blair would like to try a test case!
If you DONT have private health care then I'm afraid your only option is paying. You saw the recent controversy re the breast cancer drug (which is now being made available on the NHS) where people in the UK were dying but the local health care wouldn't give them this seemingly life saving drug!

Save that if you have relations you could stay with, go back the UK , register with the doctor stating that you have moved back to the UK, and use the health system
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:26 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That is just another one of the things the EU has to sort out. If you have paid taxes and insurance stamp etc in any part of the EU then you should be able to make claims in any part of it.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
That is just another one of the things the EU has to sort out. If you have paid taxes and insurance stamp etc in any part of the EU then you should be able to make claims in any part of it.
That´s exactly how I feel, I have paid the equivalent amount in stamps to ensure that I get a full pension, so why shouldn´t I get health care. If I went back to the UK and stayed with someone and said I was back living in the UK they can make you wait 6 months before treating you!! Could be dead by then! I hope I am not tempting fate by putting this thread on!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
That´s exactly how I feel, I have paid the equivalent amount in stamps to ensure that I get a full pension, so why shouldn´t I get health care. If I went back to the UK and stayed with someone and said I was back living in the UK they can make you wait 6 months before treating you!! Could be dead by then! I hope I am not tempting fate by putting this thread on!
I think you will find in the UK they cant refuse you treatment if you reside there.
Just collapse in the hospital
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

I have asked this before on similar threads but never got any conclusive answers....

How do I stand when we move over to Spain, if I'm still under ongoing treatment with my consultant and breast care nurse? (breast cancer) I have to have 6 monthly check ups and have to take tamoxifen for the forseable future. Surely private healthcare wont cover an ongoing medical history like mine.
Mary
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:30 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maryg
Surely private healthcare wont cover an ongoing medical history like mine.
Mary
I think you are probably right. when I took out my private health care i had to sign a form to state that i did not have any on going medical problems. They would only cover me for problems that arise AFTER taking out the policy.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

You dont say how old you are, but if you are retired I think you will be covered by the national health service in Spain for any ongoing treatment.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have asked this before on similar threads but never got any conclusive answers....

How do I stand when we move over to Spain, if I'm still under ongoing treatment with my consultant and breast care nurse? (breast cancer) I have to have 6 monthly check ups and have to take tamoxifen for the forseable future. Surely private healthcare wont cover an ongoing medical history like mine.
Mary
In general no private health care company takes on existing problems. In fact if you have been to a doctor within a few years they decline to treat for the symtoms unless you have been symptom free for a number of years or get a letter from your doctor declaring that you are free of the ailment.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
You dont say how old you are, but if you are retired I think you will be covered by the national health service in Spain for any ongoing treatment.
I am 47 and will still need to work, though hopefully not as hard as here!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 9:03 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I am 47 and will still need to work, though hopefully not as hard as here!
As long as you get a legal job with a contract then the Spanish NH should cover you.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
As long as you get a legal job with a contract then the Spanish NH should cover you.
I think there is a couple of ways around this,
For the First two years you can get cover on the Spanish System by getting F106 before you leave the UK
If your over 65, men , 60 Women, you can get cover also on the Spanish system ( if your spouse is at the required ages you can also get cover)

You can get private medical cover, but with all the associated issues of previous health etc,

You can pay as you go, not recommended

Go to spanish hospital emergency when condition critical and use E111 card
You'll get a bill eventually, but you ignore it,. (no good for ongoing treatment though)

Register as Autonomo, in the Spanish Social system ( IE go self employed, use a Gestor) and pay about 236€ per month into the social system, and you will get NH care and a pension,, ( You will need to actually do something, to get this as the authorities have been know to check up on people)

A lot of info is contained here

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_06.asp
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:27 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
If your over 65, men , 60 Women, you can get cover also on the Spanish system ( if your spouse is at the required ages you can also get cover)
Where did you read that you can be covered under the state system in Spain if your spouse is of retirement age. That could save me a lot of money if true!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Where did you read that you can be covered under the state system in Spain if your spouse is of retirement age. That could save me a lot of money if true!
This is true as you are then covered as a dependant.

Can you get an E111 if resident in Spain?
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:08 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

If you become a French resident after retirement age you enter their health service at the highest level of benefits.. they have a three tier system dependant on your level of contribution. Could this possibly be an EC thing and apply to Spain as well ?? I believe the E111 is only valid for a limited period but check out the website. Also I know one only has to work for a short period in France to qualify for their health service as a resident.
A friend of mine living in the Charente on a widows pension under retirement age was employed for about six weeks for language practice at a rural college, and this entitled her to NHS treatment, operations the lot.
I talked to a contact over here employed at an NHS hospital, and she was as clear as mud! Said for the most part anyone returning to Britain would be treated...they rarely check, and she said in the midlands town where she is they have such a high influx of asylum seekers,non-european workers etc it becomes almost impossible to keep track or refuse treatment..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.