Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health card S1 or E106. Help please.

Health card S1 or E106. Help please.

Old May 18th 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

durobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud of
Default Health card S1 or E106. Help please.

Hi All. I am on the Italian forum,but somebody suggested you Spanish ex-pats may help on my question.

I have heard about a form from Newcastle that gives you up to 2 1/2 years medical cover abroad,paid for by the NHS. But you then have no rights to UK NHS anymore.
I just phoned Newcastle,but they said they dont give out any info and I can only apply a max of 4 weeks before my move abroad for the card.
They will only then tell me if I am eligible or not!!!!!

On their web page it says " must be able to prove you have worked and paid NI contributions for up to 3 years before departure."

Does this mean I MUST have worked say from 2007 -2010, ie the last 3 years till now.
Or does it mean ANY 3 years work in the UK, or is it saying I have up to 3 years after giving up work in the UK to apply for the card? I'm very confused and Newcastle wouldnt help me.

I gave up work in August 2008, after having worked for 21 years non-stop in the UK. I am not near retirement age, and wont be working in Italy.

Has anybody got this card? If so,can you give me some info on it please.

Many many thanks.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health card S1 or E106. Help please.

Originally Posted by durobird
Hi All. I am on the Italian forum,but somebody suggested you Spanish ex-pats may help on my question.

I have heard about a form from Newcastle that gives you up to 2 1/2 years medical cover abroad,paid for by the NHS. But you then have no rights to UK NHS anymore.
I just phoned Newcastle,but they said they dont give out any info and I can only apply a max of 4 weeks before my move abroad for the card.
They will only then tell me if I am eligible or not!!!!!

On their web page it says " must be able to prove you have worked and paid NI contributions for up to 3 years before departure."

Does this mean I MUST have worked say from 2007 -2010, ie the last 3 years till now.
Or does it mean ANY 3 years work in the UK, or is it saying I have up to 3 years after giving up work in the UK to apply for the card? I'm very confused and Newcastle wouldnt help me.

I gave up work in August 2008, after having worked for 21 years non-stop in the UK. I am not near retirement age, and wont be working in Italy.

Has anybody got this card? If so,can you give me some info on it please.

Many many thanks.
It has to be up to when you leave the UK, so unfortunately you will need private cover in Italy. Thousands of early retired expats are in the same position with no cover despite paying all their lives while in the UK.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

durobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud of

If I apply for this card at the start of the New Year..ie Jan 2011,then I THINK that means they will take into account how many months I paid N.I for from 2008-2011. Is that correct?
I actually only worked for 6 months during that 3 year period,then gave up work.
Does anybody know if that means I would get a card valid for just 6 months? Does the length of the cards validity correspond to how many months NI you paid in those 3 years?
Old May 18th 2010, 5:10 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

If I apply for this card at the start of the New Year..ie Jan 2011,then I THINK that means they will take into account how many months I paid N.I for from 2008-2011. Is that correct?
I actually only worked for 6 months during that 3 year period,then gave up work.
Does anybody know if that means I would get a card valid for just 6 months? Does the length of the cards validity correspond to how many months NI you paid in those 3 years?
The maximum that the E106 allows you is two years but I think it's nearer 18 months worth of cover.

I believe that there is a sliding scale of NI contributions paid in the immediate 3 years preceding your move and the amount of cover that you will get.

I suspect in your case this will be almost nil.

The reason that they are cagey about details until you have applied is so that you don't magically alter the date that you moved abroad to suit your own needs!
Old May 18th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The maximum that the E106 allows you is two years but I think it's nearer 18 months worth of cover.

I believe that there is a sliding scale of NI contributions paid in the immediate 3 years preceding your move and the amount of cover that you will get.

I suspect in your case this will be almost nil.

The reason that they are cagey about details until you have applied is so that you don't magically alter the date that you moved abroad to suit your own needs!

Methinks this is a lottery,of the paper jungle, I applied for the E106 just before I left, no problems, bought it to Spain, registered at the local centro de salud, no problems even scored an english speaking doctor, been using the same doctor since for over 4 years no problems, wife also registered, but she goes back and uses our doctor in the UK for HRT checks and treatments, on a couple of occasions when in UK have used our Old GP with no questions or issues,,,,
Conclusion neither system seems to know the other exists in detail, both have rules that they have their own interpretation of, if your lucky you win , if your not you dont,

Summary, I dont think in our case anybody quite knows what the situation is and we bumble along, using the services of both UK and Spain simultaneously depending on where we are ,, and nobody seems to take any notice!!
And we certainly are not going to inform them that they have it wrong or right whichever the case may be,

Recommendation, get an E106, register it if you win hurrah, if you lose you are no worse off than if you did nothing!!
Old May 18th 2010, 7:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Methinks this is a lottery,of the paper jungle, I applied for the E106 just before I left, no problems, bought it to Spain, registered at the local centro de salud, no problems even scored an english speaking doctor, been using the same doctor since for over 4 years no problems, wife also registered, but she goes back and uses our doctor in the UK for HRT checks and treatments, on a couple of occasions when in UK have used our Old GP with no questions or issues,,,,
Conclusion neither system seems to know the other exists in detail, both have rules that they have their own interpretation of, if your lucky you win , if your not you dont,

Summary, I dont think in our case anybody quite knows what the situation is and we bumble along, using the services of both UK and Spain simultaneously depending on where we are ,, and nobody seems to take any notice!!
And we certainly are not going to inform them that they have it wrong or right whichever the case may be,

Recommendation, get an E106, register it if you win hurrah, if you lose you are no worse off than if you did nothing!!
But you could end up with unexpected bills in both countries.
Old May 18th 2010, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like I would get practically nothing from the card,as I only worked 6 months in the last 3 years,so I will give it a miss.
Looks like Private is the only way.
Incidentally ,Solarwhizz, how did you keep your old GP in the UK if you had moved/sold your house. Did you somehow keep your old address?
Old May 18th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like I would get practically nothing from the card,as I only worked 6 months in the last 3 years,so I will give it a miss.
Looks like Private is the only way.
Incidentally ,Solarwhizz, how did you keep your old GP in the UK if you had moved/sold your house. Did you somehow keep your old address?
AH Good question, and very relevant I keep the house in the UK and rent it out!!! All correspondence I still get albeit a little late
Old May 19th 2010, 7:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
AH Good question, and very relevant I keep the house in the UK and rent it out!!! All correspondence I still get albeit a little late
But when you leave the UK you are supposed to tell your doctor and hand in your medical card.
You are getting cover that you are not entitled too as you are not resident there.
Old May 20th 2010, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

shoemanpete is an unknown quantity at this point

All interesting comments.
Went yesterday to an open day run by the Consulate and Health & Benefits team of UK Dept Work & Pensions. Good useful info. All these points were covered but what you do not mention is that when you fill in your S1 and register it with the Spanish clinic, apparently this is known by UK so you do take a risk in using the Dr in UK subsequently.

The interesting one is that if you turn 60 this year and still have official residency in UK during a week in Sept,( not sure which one) then you will qualify for winter fuel allowance each year thereafter. But of course you must not do the Padron or NIE or get Spanish residency too soon. Wait until after.
I know this is a controversial issue of Brits getting this abroad, but whilst we may not have much in the way of heating bills, there are certainly big airconditioning bills for many.
Old May 20th 2010, 3:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by shoemanpete
All interesting comments.
Went yesterday to an open day run by the Consulate and Health & Benefits team of UK Dept Work & Pensions. Good useful info. All these points were covered but what you do not mention is that when you fill in your S1 and register it with the Spanish clinic, apparently this is known by UK so you do take a risk in using the Dr in UK subsequently.

The interesting one is that if you turn 60 this year and still have official residency in UK during a week in Sept,( not sure which one) then you will qualify for winter fuel allowance each year thereafter. But of course you must not do the Padron or NIE or get Spanish residency too soon. Wait until after.
I know this is a controversial issue of Brits getting this abroad, but whilst we may not have much in the way of heating bills, there are certainly big airconditioning bills for many.
You have to be actually living in the UK on the date you said and have it paid to you there, then transfer it over with you.
Old May 20th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, that's right. I haven't suggested otherwise. You do not physically have to be in UK, just be resident i.e. have an address that is yours and not be resident in Spain at that time. It's paid in the winter is it not, into a UK bank account?
Old May 20th 2010, 3:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by shoemanpete
Yes, that's right. I haven't suggested otherwise. You do not physically have to be in UK, just be resident i.e. have an address that is yours and not be resident in Spain at that time. It's paid in the winter is it not, into a UK bank account?
Perhaps you can explain that to the DWP for me then, cos I was not a Spanish resident but was not in the UK on the required date after my 60th birthday and was refused it.
Old May 20th 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Oh........
Out of interest then, what was the procedure when you were informed, perhaps I have missed something or your situation was different to mine?
Old May 20th 2010, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

I just looked up the direct.gov website. I have missed out on the wfa by 2 weeks, as I was born too late in July to qualify. The age to receive it is now 65. Otherwise I would be right.

You could get Winter Fuel Payment if both the following apply:

you have reached the qualifying age (born on or before 5 July 1950)
you normally live in Great Britain or Northern Ireland on any day in the week of 20–26 September 2010

To have reached the qualifying age for a Winter Fuel Payment between 2010/11 you will need to be born on or before 5 July 1950.

This is because the qualifying age for Winter Fuel Payment is rising in line with the increase in State Pension age from April 2010.

In the future, the Winter Fuel Payment qualifying age will increase from 60 to 65 between 2010 and 2020. Use the calculator below to find out when you will reach the qualifying age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.