Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Heading for Spain January 2016

Heading for Spain January 2016

Old Dec 4th 2015, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Wanderindoll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heading for Spain January 2016

I'm heading for the Calpe/Denia/xabia area for a look, see with a view to moving in June (ish) I've chosen this area as it seems to have good local transport. I want to be close to the coast but don't mind an hours walk or 10minute bus/tram journey. Any recommendations for local estate agencies for rental properties? I don't want to live on a complex with a pool etc, I'm looking for a much more basic lifestyle. Thanks
Old Dec 6th 2015, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Ynola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heading for Spain January 2016

Hi
We brought a property in May this year and started with the Tv programme A Place in the Sun sounds nav but was actually very good we ended up with an Estate Agent Called The Olive Tree based in Pinoso, they are English, we looked at loads of property's through them and they do the area your looking at. The main advice we were given was to go South. Of Alicante not North as it's very English up north. Through a place in the sun we got our currency sorted and solicitor although the estate agents can recommend solicitors. Look on line at The olive tree, get in touch with them let them know what your looking for then when you go out there they will have viewings of your choice to look at we checked out about 15 different ones we didn't want a complex either.
At the moment for 2 years we are holidaying there until can move over per mantle and we brought a re possession. Hope this helps I seemed to have gone on for ever, if you have any questions come back to me.

Nola
Old Dec 6th 2015, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Heading for Spain January 2016

[QUOTE=Ynola;11808976]Hi
We brought a property in May this year and started with the Tv programme A Place in the Sun sounds nav but was actually very good we ended up with an Estate Agent Called The Olive Tree based in Pinoso, they are English, we looked at loads of property's through them and they do the area your looking at. The main advice we were given was to go South. Of Alicante not North as it's very English up north. Through a place in the sun we got our currency sorted and solicitor although the estate agents can recommend solicitors. Look on line at The olive tree, get in touch with them let the
m know what your looking for then when you go out there they will have viewings of your choice to look at we checked out about 15 different ones we didn't want a complex either.
At the moment for 2 years we are holidaying there until can move over per mantle and we brought a re possession. Hope this helps I seemed to have gone on for ever, if you have any questions come back to me.

Nola
Old Dec 6th 2015, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Some people will see "very English" as a problem, for others it will be welcome. Either way, I don't agree with the view that north of Alicante is very English and to the south isn't. There are plenty of places in Murcia that are teeming with Brits. Xabia is 6000 ish Brits in a population of 35000 ish overall. Denia, 10 minutes away by car, is 1000 ish Brits out of 45000 ish population.

One thing you should decide on is whether you want to be near the coast or inland. Inland seems fine if you don't like or want to the sea but inland towns are very quiet. Sleepy is one way the English would describe them.

If you don't want a complex with a pool then you will benefit from the lower prices of apartments and houses which don't, in general, attract foreign buyers, most of whom do want a complex with pool or a private villa with pool. If you would consider an apartment then you can find something close to shops and amenities in both Denia and Xabia for good prices.

Try this site: http://www.javea-hamiltons.net/
Old Dec 6th 2015, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Sorry didn't mean to say more Brits up north I was thinking about the weather at the time and how south of Alicante seems to have more of a micro climate. Also I know Torrevieja etc has a great no of Brits we have our property 10 mins from the beach and 30 mins from Alicante.
Nola
Old Dec 6th 2015, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if the estate agent was honest you'd have to avoid the whole province of Alicante. Apart from Benidorm, there are also areas North of Alicante with fewer Brits.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

I agree but I knew the area well as I've lived in Spain for about 18 years previously
Old Dec 7th 2015, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere seems to claim to have a micro climate. If everywhere south of Alicante shares a micro climate, the word micro doesn't apply.

It's greener north of Alicante. The contrast is surprising in fact. But English, it isn't.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Comparing November:

Torrevieja:
Max Avg Min
Max Temperature 25 °C 21 °C 16 °C
Mean Temperature 20 °C 16 °C 10 °C
Min Temperature 18 °C 11 °C 4 °C

Calpe:
Max Avg Min
Max Temperature 26 °C 21 °C 15 °C
Mean Temperature 19 °C 16 °C 10 °C
Min Temperature 16 °C 10 °C 4 °C

A couple of degrees between the maximum minimum is the biggest but on the whole it can be said November in the two places was pretty much the same.

I could post the stats for any English place and I think you'll find Spain is not very English.

Estate agents are good for opening doors to places you want to view, and not much else.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Wanderindoll, the chance of picking up a suitable property in every way by some recce visits is low. If you can live in whatever area you like for 6 week off season. Believe me, you will be 100% sure if you want to live there or not or if even Spain is for you.

Keep an open mind, believe little of what you hear, ask questions and you will learn more of the Spanish reality. Always keep some of that reality in the back of your mind i.e. there is more traffic of Brits in the opposite direction.

Treat those with vested interests with what they deserve and keep the route open for a dignified retreat if necessary.

Best of Luck.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
It's greener north of Alicante. The contrast is surprising in fact. But English, it isn't.
And that contrast is one of the reasons we love the area, lots of greenery and sun, a great combination, as far as loads of brits go l would agree with you 100%, it's like a little Europe, Swiss, French, German, Russian, British, Belgiums Etc with the majority still Spanish

Last edited by Longlegpete; Dec 7th 2015 at 9:09 am.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Aye Pete, but the estate agent was apparently referring to the weather and not the population being "very English". Which therefore implies that England's weather is very Spanish, which is odd, because lots of English people travel to Spain each year for something they can apparently experience right outside their own houses.

I can understand an estate agent wanting to tell people that the area they are selling properties in is more suitable than any other. If they can convince them by claiming that the area north of Alicante, specifically, in this case, Calp, Denia and Xabia, has "very English" weather, then they are indeed talented. With the ability to spin such yarns, if ever the property game goes tits up they can always sell sand to arabs and ice to eskimos.

The c**p some people will believe.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Wanderindoll is an unknown quantity at this point

If an agent shows me a place knowing that I need to be close to public transport and tells me that there is a bus every 20 minutes, even on Christmas Day, then I believe. If he tells me there are plans to upgrade the road, then I believe. If he tells me the owner will upgrade the property if I sign for 12 months, then I believe.if he tells me it is like an English summer in July, I believe. Would I have the audacity to question such a learned person????? Not me, I will sign for the first property I see, give 2 months, no lets make it 6 months deposit. receipt? No an englishman's handshake is perfectly adequate. Thanks folk, I'm sure that there are many good agents and, like many folk in business, they tell clients what they want to hear. Fortunately, I am partially deaf-this bit is actually true!
Old Dec 9th 2015, 1:30 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

It is greener i.e. it rains more North of Alicante. Perhaps that may have been what was meant by more English weather?
Old Dec 9th 2015, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderindoll
If an agent shows me a place knowing that I need to be close to public transport and tells me that there is a bus every 20 minutes, even on Christmas Day, then I believe. If he tells me there are plans to upgrade the road, then I believe. If he tells me the owner will upgrade the property if I sign for 12 months, then I believe.if he tells me it is like an English summer in July, I believe. Would I have the audacity to question such a learned person????? Not me, I will sign for the first property I see, give 2 months, no lets make it 6 months deposit. receipt? No an englishman's handshake is perfectly adequate. Thanks folk, I'm sure that there are many good agents and, like many folk in business, they tell clients what they want to hear. Fortunately, I am partially deaf-this bit is actually true!
I think you're on the road to a good experience in Spain. Good Man!