Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Having a car officially sealed (precintado) by Customs or Guardia Civil

Having a car officially sealed (precintado) by Customs or Guardia Civil

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 5:49 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a car officially sealed (precintado) by Customs or Guardia Civil

Originally Posted by bob_day
What extra expense, inconvenience and safety issues??? I bought my car over from the uk, put it onto spanish plates and drove it for 11 years. Never had any work done that cost more because it was RHD. Only time it ws a little inconvenient was when entering a car park and being the only person in the car. In actual fact driving on campo tracks or narrow roads I found RHD safer as it is far easier to judge ehere the track stops and the drop down the mountain begins.

I think youll find second hand cars are way cheaper in the UK. Like for like often one half to two thirds of the cost in Spain and normally with far far lower mileage/kilometerage. You will however have to matriculate it and pay import duty which goes some way to evening up the cost, but still way cheaper. Of course it will be worth less when you ultimately try to sell it.
I was responding to OP. I believe he is seeking advice on bringing a UK registered car to keep it indefinitely in Spain on UK plates?
++++++++++
In response to your post:
The cost of bringing a UK car to Spain and re-registering it has been debated many many times.
Like for like often one half to two thirds of the cost in Spain and normally with far far lower
Not in my experience. However, if you would like to advise the age, make and model of the car you imported and the costs incurred to ship it and re-register it, I might believe that you saved more than a few euros.
Most insurers will charge more to insure a RHD car.
I am amazed that you believe it is more convenient and safer to drive a RHD car ........ for 11 years

Last edited by missile; Dec 2nd 2019 at 6:56 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a car officially sealed (precintado) by Customs or Guardia Civil

Originally Posted by missile
I was responding to OP. I believe he is seeking advice on bringing a UK registered car to keep it indefinitely in Spain on UK plates?
++++++++++
In response to your post:
The cost of bringing a UK car to Spain and re-registering it has been debated many many times.
Not in my experience. However, if you would like to advise the age, make and model of the car you imported and the costs incurred to ship it and re-register it, I might believe that you saved more than a few euros.
Most insurers will charge more to insure a RHD car.
I am amazed that you believe it is more convenient and safer to drive a RHD car ........ for 11 years
​​​​​​
If you read my post i said i felt it was safer on certain types of road.. Never said more convenient, i said other than the occasional car park i never found it inconvenient.

Insurance, well the premium for my LHD Volvo XC90 4x4 is virtually the same as it was for my RHD Merc Ml 270 4x4.

Pricewise i just paid 9500euros for a 2009 Volvo XC90. There are many dealers on ebay selling the same model for between £3k and £5k with far less miles on the clock. Cost around £400 to drive it back here. Matriculation would be well under 1000euros. Not sure of the amount of import duty that would be levied.

Just this week someone was adkingn15000euros for a 2007 Range Rover, again under £5K in the UK

The saving could be greater on more expensive cars

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 3:16 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​
If you read my post i said i felt it was safer on certain types of road.. Never said more convenient, i said other than the occasional car park i never found it inconvenient.

Insurance, well the premium for my LHD Volvo XC90 4x4 is virtually the same as it was for my RHD Merc Ml 270 4x4.

Pricewise i just paid 9500euros for a 2009 Volvo XC90. There are many dealers on ebay selling the same model for between £3k and £5k with far less miles on the clock. Cost around £400 to drive it back here. Matriculation would be well under 1000euros. Not sure of the amount of import duty that would be levied.

Just this week someone was adkingn15000euros for a 2007 Range Rover, again under £5K in the UK

The saving could be greater on more expensive cars
I did read your post, as I said it was not relevant to the OP's post.

You have been selective with your examples:
There are several 2009 Volvos for sale in Spain @ less than 9,500 euros and several @ more than £5,000 on eBay e.g. LN09 LXP is currently advertised at £9,995.
Just this week, there is a rather nice 2011 MB MI 300CDI advertised in Spain for 6,600 euros.

In any event; If you truly believe there is a huge saving to be had, why did you not buy your Volvo in the UK and import it to Spain?

Perhaps after only 11 years, you have realised it is safer and convenient to drive a LHD car in Spain?
https://tenor.com/view/suzana-mancic...88j1oge1vd1JRY

Last edited by missile; Dec 3rd 2019 at 3:18 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

I did read your post, as I said it was not relevant to the OP's post.

You have been selective with your examples:
There are several 2009 Volvos for sale in Spain @ less than 9,500 euros and several @ more than £5,000 on eBay e.g. LN09 LXP is currently advertised at £9,995.
Just this week, there is a rather nice 2011 MB MI 300CDI advertised in Spain for 6,600 euros.

In any event; If you truly believe there is a huge saving to be had, why did you not buy your Volvo in the UK and import it to Spain?

Perhaps after only 11 years, you have realised it is safer and convenient to drive a LHD car in Spain?
https://tenor.com/view/suzana-mancic...88j1oge1vd1JRY

​​​​​​Wasn't being selective atball, just 2 examples.

Why not buy my Volvo in th UK, bssically i couldnt be bothered just to save a couple of grand. But mostly i needed to replace my Merc quickly due to family coming to visit.

I have also been driving an LHD car for 11 years in spain, so am in an excellent position to make comparisons. Some people have more than 1 car.

If you're not comfortable driving RHD in spain, the don't do it. But dont spread untruths....

Last edited by bob_day; Dec 3rd 2019 at 5:26 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 5:43 pm
Started off with nothing

​​​​​​Wasn't being selective atball, just 2 examples.

Why not buy my Volvo in th UK, bssically i couldnt be bothered.

I have also been driving an LHD car for 11 years in spain, so am in an excellent position to make comparisons. Some people have more than 1 car.

If you're not comfortable driving RHD in spain, the don't do it. But dont spread untruths....
Where have I spread untruths?

It is you who chose to comment on my post with carefully chosen examples to your support your banal claims.
You claim it is safer and more convenient for you to drive a RHD car, but claim you are so rich you couldn't be bothered to make a huge saving by importing another?

Some of us value our safety and convenience above saving a few euros and can afford better than a 10 year old banger @ 9.500 euros.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m2m2012
This also dates to before Spain joined the EU. And more importantly, before the Schengen Zone.
​2013 version if you prefer, essentially the same in most respects.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...lex:32013L0013

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Dec 3rd 2019 at 6:00 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Where have I spread untruths?

It is you who chose to comment on my post with carefully chosen examples to your support your banal claims.
You claim it is safer and more convenient for you to drive a RHD car, but claim you are so rich you couldn't be bothered to make a huge saving by importing another?

Some of us value our safety and convenience above saving a few euros and can afford better than a 10 year old banger @ 9.500 euros.
Always tell when someone is losing an arguement when they start to get personal. I dont need a flash car, i grew out of having to impress others with a new car years ago. Believe me if i wanted to i could go out and buy a ferrari, cash,.
But i don't want one and i expect they dont handle campo tracks too well.

Your right RHDs are dangerous,. Can't understand why i and my wife have driven one for 11 years and not had a single accident, not even a near miss....
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 8:55 pm
Started off with nothing

Always tell when someone is losing an arguement when they start to get personal. I dont need a flash car, i grew out of having to impress others with a new car years ago. Believe me if i wanted to i could go out and buy a ferrari, cash,.
But i don't want one and i expect they dont handle campo tracks too well.

Your right RHDs are dangerous,. Can't understand why i and my wife have driven one for 11 years and not had a single accident, not even a near miss....
It is you who started this pointless debate and you are the one who started the personal insults .… and no I don't believe you.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 10:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

OK children that is enough,

Thread is being closed.

Rosemary