British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   having a baby in majorca or uk? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/having-baby-majorca-uk-505429/)

jonesa80 Jan 11th 2008 3:41 pm

having a baby in majorca or uk?

Its a major decision my wife and I are going to make within the next year. Stay in the UK and have our family or move to Majorca and have our family there. The cost implications is major issue and language barrier my wife lived on the island for 2 and a half years has some spanish but isnt fluent.

can anyone give any recommedations? or any ideas about private health care? is it expensive, hassle free?

all comments would be welcome

I read the article on the free beer section very informative.

lcortez Jan 11th 2008 3:58 pm

Re: having a baby in majorca or uk?

Why would resources be less available in Majorca:confused:
Based on your lack of language skills,It would be safe to say you have no family in Majorca,so I would say have the baby in UK,as aftercare is not as exstensive as in UK,this is a culture thing as in Spain the family and relatives take care of the new mother and child:)

Mitzyboy Jan 11th 2008 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by jonesa80 (Post 5773990)

Its a major decision my wife and I are going to make within the next year. Stay in the UK and have our family or move to Majorca and have our family there. The cost implications is major issue and language barrier my wife lived on the island for 2 and a half years has some spanish but isnt fluent.

can anyone give any recommedations? or any ideas about private health care? is it expensive, hassle free?

Private health care is relatively cheap here, but I'm not sure if it extends to maternity cover

jdr Jan 11th 2008 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 5774094)
Private health care is relatively cheap here, but I'm not sure if it extends to maternity cover

It does if you are female. ;-))
Our daughter in law had cover with Salus and had a private room with a spare bed for our son so he could stay with them.

lee8 Jan 12th 2008 4:54 pm

My Spanish wife didn`t want to return to Spain to give birth.

What ever you decide I hope it works out well.:)

featherbum Jan 13th 2008 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 5774094)

my sister had private health care but she told me you need to have the policy for one year before you are covered for birht etc... that was with asisa tho. :)

Econ Jan 13th 2008 6:18 pm

Gosh, it's a really big move to make it the birth is not that far away.

I can't offer you much information on your questions but I know many foreigners who have had children in Spain and they have marvelled at the care, private and ss, so don't let anyone scaremonger you on that side, I can only guess that Majorca would be the same as the mainland.

Whatever you do, I hope everything goes well for you. :)