Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Have you learnt any new skills since moving?

Have you learnt any new skills since moving?

Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you learnt any new skills since moving?

I have never been into DIY much. But after finding out that nearly everything we touched in our old house either ..
Fell off, leaked, jammed, stuck or simply refused to work. I have had to learn quickly
As an ex mechanic / truck driver I have always been fairly handy with mechanical things, but now I know that nothing is impossible.

These are just a few of my projects so far.

For those damp patches on the wall, simply bang away with the hammer until the plaster stops falling off, and then mix up some mortero with water until it sticks to the wall rather than the floor. Smooth off and re paint.

Turn off the water and remove siezed shower taps, take them to the plumbers supply shop and say "Tiene algo como este??"

To get the landing light working
Turn off the electric supply and remove the sticking plaster holding the bulb holder wires together and fit a proper connector.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:04 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you learnt any new skills since moving?

Originally Posted by big wheels
I have never been into DIY much. But after finding out that nearly everything we touched in our old house either ..
Fell off, leaked, jammed, stuck or simply refused to work. I have had to learn quickly
As an ex mechanic / truck driver I have always been fairly handy with mechanical things, but now I know that nothing is impossible.

For those damp patches on the wall, simply bang away with the hammer until the plaster stops falling off, and then mix up some mortero with water until it sticks to the wall rather than the floor. Smooth off and re paint.

Turn off the water and remove siezed shower taps, take them to the plumbers supply shop and say "Tiene algo como este??"

Turn off the electric supply and remove the sticking plaster holding the bulb holder wires together and fit a proper connector.
We're learning how to speak proper Spanish as opposed to Spanglish
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:35 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

Yes - how to smile at officials when you really want to hit them as they are being so arrogant! So temper control is good.

And how to smell a conman at 20 paces!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels

Or get someone in to do the job, in any case every light fitting we have bought had fitting includied in the price, so why do it yourself, and the damp patch on our wall turned out to be a leaking pipe.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Ive learnt not to take anyones word for it and to find everything out for yourself.

Also that, Manana, means next week. and Quiza Manana, means never.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:32 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
We're learning how to speak proper Spanish as opposed to Spanglish
....and I have also just now learned that it is not advisable to multitask (ie posting on forums) while doing monthly expense reports
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:53 pm
Still young member

Oh yes - gets very confusing doesnt it!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Never leave Leroys without that can of expandable foam, you never know when you might need it.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casa del sol
Never leave Leroys without that can of expandable foam, you never know when you might need it.
Only one ? LOL
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

You just reminded me that I need some of that....Thanks!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:39 pm
Still young member

I know Im going to regret asking this but...what do you use it for? I saw it in CSI once as a murder weapon. It was sprayed in the victims throat! That image has stayed with me.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

I never thought of using it that way...could come in use!

Well I was talking to someone the other day about a problem with damp around my window.

They said...make a hole in the wall about a metre up and fill it with expanding foam...

So thats it!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j0197
I never thought of using it that way...could come in use!

Well I was talking to someone the other day about a problem with damp around my window.

They said...make a hole in the wall about a metre up and fill it with expanding foam...

So thats it!

Won't that just move the problem higher?
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:44 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rixxy
I know Im going to regret asking this but...what do you use it for? I saw it in CSI once as a murder weapon. It was sprayed in the victims throat! That image has stayed with me.
OH used it for going round the front of every tile on our new porch roof, then painted it with red water proofing, looks a treat and most importantly NO LEAKS!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rixxy
Filling cracks and holes, also around door and window frames.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.