Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Have you got your Eco sticker?

Have you got your Eco sticker?

Old Nov 23rd 2022, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you got your Eco sticker?

Originally Posted by DLC
It's also to help local police... police it. E.g., the town or city might make cheaper or free parking spaces for Eco or 0 cars and it would be immediately apparent without them having to run a search on each number plate.
Yes valid points. I would imagine that fines issued are probably simply for failing to display the badge in required area so akin to local bylaw. I think really all new cars should simply come with the badge to be fair, whether you live in an area that they are required or not. I will see if my new car comes with one or not, I don't live where there's a requirement for one however I do see vehicles with the badges around where I live.
Old Nov 24th 2022, 10:35 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Critair stickers are recognised in Spain, see here under

Turismos y furgonetas ligeras GASOLINA

or

Turismos y furgonetas ligeras de DIÉSEL

This is really useful, thank you.

My French Critair 1, that Ive had for some years now, should be valid, if Seville implement the same program. It is the nearest major (and beautiful) city to us in Ayamonte and an easy drive 1hr20-30mins.

The next problem is car rental. Which we do far more than the long drive. In our case the nearest airport is Faro, Portugal. So there is an additional problem to look at. Portugal isnt on the list you recommended and I suspect that most of the lo-cost rental co's wont have the stickers. Ive never seen one and we rent a lot.

If anyone already knows please advise. If I find out anything Ill post it.

Thanks

Jon
Old Nov 24th 2022, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I found this link all be it from 2019 stating that foreign vehicles not registered with DGT are exempt these laws? So I presume that would include vehicles registered in Portugal.
https://trans.info/en/eco-badges-in-...ehicles-134016
Old Nov 24th 2022, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here's another government link explaining it and about foreign registered vehicles
https://administracion.gob.es/pag_Ho...emisiones.html
Old Nov 25th 2022, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

My sticker arrived this morning - DGT efficient as usual.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 7:14 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Here's another government link explaining it and about foreign registered vehicles
https://administracion.gob.es/pag_Ho...emisiones.html
Thanks so much, Bob for all this information...

But I am a still little confused.... quote:

In Spain, emissions badges aren't awarded to vehicles registered abroad, because they aren’t needed. If you have a vehicle from another country with an emissions badges scheme (such as Austria, Denmark, France or Germany), you will be considered to have the equivalent Spanish badge.

The implication being that a badge isnt needed as every country has an equivalent one. Or its ok for these 'badge - countries'... But.... What about the others ?

Going back to renting a car in Faro and driving into major Spanish cities.... Something most/many people living in our area do.

Portugal dont have badges their LEZ's are based on the Euro rating only..

https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/portugal/lisbon

So I'm still not sure if I can drive my badgeless PT rental car into one of these ES cities - without getting done! Or am I missing something, (I hope so!) ?

Thanks again

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 29th 2022 at 7:30 am.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks so much, Bob for all this information...

But I am a still little confused.... quote:

In Spain, emissions badges aren't awarded to vehicles registered abroad, because they aren’t needed. If you have a vehicle from another country with an emissions badges scheme (such as Austria, Denmark, France or Germany), you will be considered to have the equivalent Spanish badge.

The implication being that a badge isnt needed as every country has an equivalent one. Or its ok for these 'badge - countries'... But.... What about the others ?

Going back to renting a car in Faro and driving into major Spanish cities.... Something most/many people living in our area do.

Portugal dont have badges their LEZ's are based on the Euro rating only..

https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/co...ortugal/lisbon

So I'm still not sure if I can drive my badgeless PT rental car into one of these ES cities - without getting done! Or am I missing something, (I hope so!) ?

Thanks again

Jon
Hi John I have had another look on the Web I did find a few articles it would seem that it all depends upon the city one visits as each city with eco zones sets its own criteria? I read a piece about Madrid which basically said the same as the link I gave I. E. Foreign vehicles can't be registered in Spain so are exempt the need to have the badge. However you must ensure that the vehicle driven complies with the requirements and you could be stopped and paperwork checked to ensure this? Barcelona it would seem is different in that foreign vehicles can apply for permission to drive and are somehow registered on a system allowing limited use in the zones. I suppose the only way to know for sure would be research the city you plan on visiting to ensure you can comply with the specific rules for that city. Here's another link that may help. I guess it depends on age of vehicle you hire. Most will be near new vehicles and would comply but if older risk of not complying.
https://www.green-zones.eu/en/produc...tivo-ambiental
Old Nov 29th 2022, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a new car last year and it doesnt have a sticker.

I have the app, but it doesn't recognise my number plate - 0425LPC. Its a 1.2 3cyl petrol engine.

I applied for a sticker for my 2001 megane and they said no.

I applied for a sticker for my g/fs 2010 seat ibiza and it got a 'C' sticker.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
I bought a new car last year and it doesnt have a sticker.

I have the app, but it doesn't recognise my number plate - 0425LPC. Its a 1.2 3cyl petrol engine.

I applied for a sticker for my 2001 megane and they said no.

I applied for a sticker for my g/fs 2010 seat ibiza and it got a 'C' sticker.

If you enter the registration number you have given on this site it shows your car is entitled to green C badge rating?

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/vehiculos...ivo-ambiental/
Old Dec 1st 2022, 12:12 am
BE Positive

Hi John I have had another look on the Web I did find a few articles it would seem that it all depends upon the city one visits as each city with eco zones sets its own criteria? I read a piece about Madrid which basically said the same as the link I gave I. E. Foreign vehicles can't be registered in Spain so are exempt the need to have the badge. However you must ensure that the vehicle driven complies with the requirements and you could be stopped and paperwork checked to ensure this? Barcelona it would seem is different in that foreign vehicles can apply for permission to drive and are somehow registered on a system allowing limited use in the zones. I suppose the only way to know for sure would be research the city you plan on visiting to ensure you can comply with the specific rules for that city. Here's another link that may help. I guess it depends on age of vehicle you hire. Most will be near new vehicles and would comply but if older risk of not complying.
https://www.green-zones.eu/en/produc...tivo-ambiental
Thanks again Bob. Blimey it reminds me of covid times and having to carefully check each countries' travel restrictions!!

I guess if I am stopped in my rental car it would be easy to provide the Euro rating, but I wonder if I've parked somewhere and a 'jobsworth' PC passes by, sees no sticker (on my badgeless PT rental car) ... And whips out his pad!

The low cost rental companies in Faro use older cars... But not that old so on paper should be OK. Even though the 'other paper', the sticker, is lacking. (Ive rented cars with over 50K kms on the clock..... )

It seems like a bit of a hole to me.

Seville where many visit from our area, as you well know, is a shortish drive away and the rules are not really clear

https://www.green-zones.eu/en/low-em.../spain/seville
Thanks

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 1st 2022 at 12:15 am.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I agree John it does seem to be a bit of a minefield. I am not really much of a large city fan to be fair and when I do visit them I get parked up and either walk or use public transport. I drove into Malaga to do my NIE exchange a couple of years ago, never again the mass of signage re restrictions combined with level of traffic did for me. I hadn't a clue if I should have been where I was. Luckily I managed to drop on a parking space opposite the big police station get to my appointment on time and get out. When I got home I said to the wife never again its the bus for me. Also we visited Córdoba a while back and were walking into the old part of town from the lower bridge area. I saw what looked like a brand new fancy Renault car being uploaded by the Grúa. I commented to the wife blimey broken down and looks like brand new car. We then got level and saw the reason it was being picked up. The driver had tried entering the taxi and delivery only zone and the automatic bollard type thing had come up right under his engine! So it's not just the fine to sort out sometimes.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

If you enter the registration number you have given on this site it shows your car is entitled to green C badge rating?

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/vehiculos...ivo-ambiental/

ahhh thanks Bob, I will have to nip into the post office when I have 6 hours to spare one day
Old Dec 6th 2022, 6:12 am
BE Positive

Yes I agree John it does seem to be a bit of a minefield. I am not really much of a large city fan to be fair and when I do visit them I get parked up and either walk or use public transport. I drove into Malaga to do my NIE exchange a couple of years ago, never again the mass of signage re restrictions combined with level of traffic did for me. I hadn't a clue if I should have been where I was. Luckily I managed to drop on a parking space opposite the big police station get to my appointment on time and get out. When I got home I said to the wife never again its the bus for me. Also we visited Córdoba a while back and were walking into the old part of town from the lower bridge area. I saw what looked like a brand new fancy Renault car being uploaded by the Grúa. I commented to the wife blimey broken down and looks like brand new car. We then got level and saw the reason it was being picked up. The driver had tried entering the taxi and delivery only zone and the automatic bollard type thing had come up right under his engine! So it's not just the fine to sort out sometimes.
LIke you Bob, we dont normally do big cities - but we dont tend to visit Spain-Portugal in high season either. But we need to keep the options open as we do like to get on the road and explore.

We've enjoyed e.g Seville, Cordoba and Granada in low season and still in shorts during the day and not sweating buckets, surrounded by throngs. We were able to e.g enjoy the Alhambra previously in relative comfort and openness. And of course hotel prices are significantly better too. We once shifted plans just a week as a posh hotel was +/- 60% cheaper, then, in a big city

Seville is so close too, we can easily make a day trip. Its why I 'woke up' when I read this thread regarding our private car ... And of course regularly renting cars from Faro.

Its been really informative - so thanks to the OP and all the interesting contributions from you and the others
Jon
Old Dec 6th 2022, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's been a great exchange of views and posts - not sure I understand all the details my bottom line - is for 6,50€ I have my sticker so I am covered for all situations.
Old Dec 6th 2022, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree it is worth having the sticker just in case. It's been a good thread .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.