Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:40 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

Originally Posted by bil
Do you think that is because most Brits get innoculated with the French language in school, and the French pronunciation would be to drop the 's' ?
I'm sure the indoctrination of French has a lot to answer for

those of my students who know some French find Spanish pronunciation much harder than those who don't

I think the brain just thinks 'it's foreign' so spits out French!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

Originally Posted by lynnxa

those of my students who know some French find Spanish pronunciation much harder than those who don't

Yes a case of a little knowledge is more dangerous than none!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:52 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to keep my name as it is even though it is pronounced differently. My friends, Spanish/english couple have named their Son Cristian. Both parents say it differently. Mother (bi-lingual) still uses the English "Cristchan" Father Cristian.

I think changing names is a bit pretentious. One friend called Margaret has changed her name to Isabella
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Do you think that is because most Brits get innoculated with the French language in school, and the French pronunciation would be to drop the 's' ?
Yes, I think that is why they drop the "s" off the end of my name.

But when they put the S on the end of my name it sounds like a "Z" like in Louise.

I had a Spanish/ish mate in the UK, and his name was Federico, but everyone called him Frederico.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:19 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If your name is Sam in Spain, nobody will ever call you, and if it's Samantha, you'll never have a Spanish boyfriend.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:29 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I prefer to keep my name as it is even though it is pronounced differently. My friends, Spanish/english couple have named their Son Cristian. Both parents say it differently. Mother (bi-lingual) still uses the English "Cristchan" Father Cristian.

I think changing names is a bit pretentious. One friend called Margaret has changed her name to Isabella
Sometimes a person needs to change their name, because they are so unhappy with the one they have.

I know a guy in the UK who hated his name he was called - John Arselicker, he hated it so much that he changed it by deed poll to Simon Arselicker....
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Sometimes a person needs to change their name, because they are so unhappy with the one they have.

I know a guy in the UK who hated his name he was called - John Arselicker, he hated it so much that he changed it by deed poll to Simon Arselicker....
My mum used to tell me how my nan knew someone called billy stinky.He hated his name and changed it to jimmy stinky.

Dont know if its true.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Much the same in the Canaries also dropping the s of everything,maybe partly due to the Central American influence.

Another thing the locals there have thats different, is guaguas,..pronounced wawa,...whereas in almost all of Europe it is bus or autobus.
We always used to tell our friends,..."no wuffwuffs on the guagua".
Apparantly that's how they always talked and it was not Central American influence, because our Spanish accent is derived mostly from the Canaries with a mix of Andalusian thrown in there. My accent is a hybrid of someone from Seville and Canaries
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Apparantly that's how they always talked and it was not Central American influence, because our Spanish accent is derived mostly from the Canaries with a mix of Andalusian thrown in there. My accent is a hybrid of someone from Seville and Canaries
You're right to say there is no central american influence in the Canaries. The Canarians were speaking like that first! However, the word guagua for bus I believed is only used in the Canaries and Cuba, but since Cuba was under Spanish control for hundreds of years, its easy to see what may have happened.

However, its difficult to say how the regional American Spanish accents developed as there has been so much to-ing and fro-ing over the years. One theory is that when the Spanish missionaries went over to convert all the American people into good Catholics and Spanish speakers they would have taught them to say the soft s rather than the harder z, because the z/th accent used as "good" Spanish nowadays was only spoken in the Castillian courts hundreds of years ago.

However, its all guessing. They say American (USA) English is a cross between 18th century old English along with all the immigrant dialects that have entered the USA over the past 200 years. Similar for American Spanish too. And lets not forget that Argentinian sounds nothing like Ecuadorian or Cuban
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:42 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

An Italian guy who I know is called Enrico gets called Enrique by spanish and English. He gets really annoyed and always corrects them. Guess some people feel more strongly than others about it. Anyway it's better than being just called a Guiri.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I find myself counting in french sometimes.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:19 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I find myself counting in french sometimes.
you'd be OK round here - it's a bit like Valenciano

one two three four five six seven eight nine ten

un deux trois quatre cinq six sept huit neuf dix

uno dos tres quatre cinc sis set huit nou deu
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

you'd be OK round here - it's a bit like Valenciano

one two three four five six seven eight nine ten

un deux trois quatre cinq six sept huit neuf dix

uno dos tres quatre cinc sis set huit nou deu
That is close
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

When I was a child I was called Elpi for short and used that when I lived in Andalucia in the 60's because it was easy for the Spanish to say. When I returned to Spain in the 90's I became Isabel as it is Spanish for Elspeth and was easier for my neighbours of various nationalities to pronounce.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

My name starts with "Sh". One of our Spanish friends who couldn't say my name properly got round it by calling me "La Rubia". All was fine until I changed my hair colour. So now, when he says to the waiter "and another drink for La Rubia", there's confusion.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.