Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has Spain had its day

Has Spain had its day

Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:05 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Spain had its day

Originally Posted by jdr
I seem to remember it was very hard to get, time limits before you could claim etc and then only if you had dependants.
That is why you see self employed people working in splints etc.
It`s the same with most handouts, they write them on red tape and by the time you qualify you are back at work.
Last year I alternated between getting £10 a week and nothing, when unemployed - as they based what you get on contributions in a certain tax year. Never mind that I've paid 25 years into the UK system... However my partner was able to get tax credit on her part-time work which meant we survived, but it makes you wonder. Skive, stay put and do nothing in the UK and it seems you get plenty of benefit support. Go out, moving in search of work etc., and you get clobbered when you end up out of work. I think the self-employed route is probably the best idea, but you have to be disciplined and save for the lean times, which there will be (unless you are very lucky or in a good location).
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:10 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

As for the thread question - I don't have the flight numbers to Spain, but I'd bet they are a lot higher than 10 or even 5 years ago. The numbers of people retiring there may ease off a little, but even then I can't see greater than a 10% reduction. The numbers of holidaymakers visiting places like Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid are far higher than before (I suspect this tends to be more weekend visitors). It's the Med costal resorts that may be suffering, but there again do we have any current (ie this year) data for numbers, and the amount they are spending?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:52 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think there were 2 million less British tourists visited Spain last year and the first 6 months of this year was well down. Happens to all countries...not many people want to return to the same place every year, drink in the same bars etc. There is a big world out there! Although I do know one couple who come to the CDS twice a year, stay in the same apartment and eat and drink in the same places, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Some travel "expert" said on TV last week that there is a growing trend for Britis to take their summer holiday in the UK and a winter one in far away tropical places.

As for selling up and setting up in Spain there aren't enough jobs around now, unless you are lucky enough to have a business which runs itself in the UK or you can work from home. I liked Spain better about 10 years ago when there were a lot less Brits living here. The spaniards dislike us now, unless spending money with them.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:03 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by JMOT
Where there are hard times for some there is opportunity for others. This is not unique to Spain.

A recession creates a land grab opportunity for the wealthy, rich or those who have been waiting to scoop up what others can no longer afford or lose.

I'm sure there's plenty of Expats with a few quid looking about at forced sales, commercial property and other opportunities scratching there beards and thinking about making a few quid...

Speaking for myself, being an Internet entrepreneur I can work from wherever! Spain has appeal to me for a number of reasons...but I've no doubt there are plenty of things just as wrong with Spain as there are with the uk.

To me Spain offers an awesome opportunity right now to change my lifestyle for the better. I'm biased tho as I'm sick of the uk but haven't experienced living in Spain yet.... Maybe I'll get a rude shock and have my bubble burst earlier than I expected.... Who knows?!

The easy times for many will return.....It's called boom and bust lol
Good luck in your ventures. If you do earn from the Internet I suppose location isn't a problem (well once you have sorted internet access out). You'll find that many of the annoyances of the UK - traffic, bureaucracy, street noise etc are present in Spain, but sometimes feel worse because of the language barrier.

I don't see any reduction in people falling for the charms of Spain, even in these money-straightened times. Even on this board (famed for certain negative posters) we see some posters who've struggled to go back again after many years. Judging by the numbers of Spanish I see in London (they can't all be tourists surely?) maybe we're going to end up having a total switch around?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:06 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Some travel "expert" said on TV last week that there is a growing trend for Britis to take their summer holiday in the UK and a winter one in far away tropical places.
Other way around I'd have thought. Quite a wet August this year in the UK - the rain's needed though. The planes are flying in and out of Heathrow, Gatwick etc just as often as they ever did, well when the volcano isn't spouting away.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:17 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
As for the thread question - I don't have the flight numbers to Spain, but I'd bet they are a lot higher than 10 or even 5 years ago. The numbers of people retiring there may ease off a little, but even then I can't see greater than a 10% reduction. The numbers of holidaymakers visiting places like Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid are far higher than before (I suspect this tends to be more weekend visitors). It's the Med costal resorts that may be suffering, but there again do we have any current (ie this year) data for numbers, and the amount they are spending?
It seems that Madrid airport is still doing well in terms of numbers - Apparently in May this year 4.28 million passengers passed through Barajas, an increase of 5% over the previous year. However I seem to remember that there was a 5% reduction that year, so it's back to 2008 levels. Probably..

http://blog.mirayvuela.com/madrid-ba...os-y-viajeros/
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:21 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about it, it's bucketing it down here in the UK. When we came last summer it was hot for the whole of August. Just had 3 weeks of really lovely weather though, nice temps of 23C to 25C just right.

There does seem to be a lot of spanish around the UK right now. Went to Hampton Court last week and lots of spanish voices there. Yesterday went to a local picnic spot and a party of guys from madrid were there having fly-fishing lessons!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Tell me about it, it's bucketing it down here in the UK. When we came last summer it was hot for the whole of August. Just had 3 weeks of really lovely weather though, nice temps of 23C to 25C just right.

There does seem to be a lot of spanish around the UK right now. Went to Hampton Court last week and lots of spanish voices there. Yesterday went to a local picnic spot and a party of guys from madrid were there having fly-fishing lessons!
You're on the wrong side of the country, it's lovely here! Walked the coast for 5 hours yesterday, couldn't do that in 43º. Mind you, it has been fairly grim this summer, you have done better than us overall. July was poor for us. The Spanish here don't seemed fazed by the weather either, reading their forums I'm always amazed how many seem to settle here, and even in Scandinavia.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
. It's the Med costal resorts that may be suffering, but there again do we have any current (ie this year) data for numbers, and the amount they are spending?
If you watch the first part of this programme, there are some facts and figures re tourism in recent years. Seems they have lost around 8m visitors over the last few years, and last year was the first year that the income from tourism actually went down. But things seem to be improving! Nice hotel in Marbella featured where you can book for only €8,000 a night!
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/todos/re.../5.html#847156
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

people that are well off will always tell you spain is great,they have 2 houses,

the average person that has moved here in the last 5 years has lost money and gone back to the uk if they can sell their overpriced apartment or bar that the estate agent told them was a good investment,thing was people lost their minds when buying here,partly due to tv living the dream stuff and the rest was their stupidity

i aint rich but i laugh at these idiots who i still see wanting too buy bars,they wouldnt listen too me anyway as they have their mind set to do it

for the brits,spain has lost its day,those countries in the euro it has not,they are the ones investing here now
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Rich66 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK we are looking into checking accommodation areas before retiring to Spain. We would be self-sufficient in finance, my question is would it be different with our financial circumstances, apart from the weather. I am not yet 60 and my wife is not yet 50, so would it be worth the move which we are looking for?

Richard and Jackie
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich66
OK we are looking into checking accommodation areas before retiring to Spain. We would be self-sufficient in finance, my question is would it be different with our financial circumstances, apart from the weather. I am not yet 60 and my wife is not yet 50, so would it be worth the move which we are looking for?

Richard and Jackie
apart from weather & language - no I don't think it is very different - especially if your income is UK based with the current exchange rate

of course that could all change

& the weather does make for a more outdoor lifestyle, & depending on where you finally settle the air could be so very much cleaner
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Richard and Jackie
An impossible question to answer, nobody here knows what you are really looking for.

I feel the whole "expat" thing will come to an end, but it may take 20 years. The huge movement of Brits to Spain was driven by an increase in British house prices and cheap prices in Spain meaning people with modest incomes in the UK felt much better off in Spain.

That is no longer the case and it is now very much more difficult to get a job just speaking English.

A few years ago I applied for a job in BCN (a professional job in marketing), they loved my marketing experience but said they are looking for someone who at least speaks English, Spanish, Catalan and French. The Catalan system at least is churning out students who speak at least 4 languages well. In this kind of environment, Brits have no chance until they change their mentality completely.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:59 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
The Catalan system at least is churning out students who speak at least 4 languages well. In this kind of environment, Brits have no chance until they change their mentality completely.
Damn straight. Part of the problem is that the UK treats languages as the poor relation, and even when they do teach it it seems to be badly.

IMO primary schools should teach basic maths, English, grammar and the basics of two or three foreign languages. The young brain needs to be stretched at that age as it makes learning easier.

I love language, but my kids were never inspired at school and while the eldest did quite well at German, (I worked with her a lot) the other two frankly weren't interested, and I just gave up.

After spending 6 years allegedly learning German, they couldn't even decline the verb 'to be' I am, you are, he is, we are, you are, they are.

Couldn't even do that. Now to me that implies that the teaching at their school was CRAP.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:03 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Richard and Jackie
As people have already said, you haven't said how long the string is.

Spain offers you a massive range of locality, weather and living. Town, campo, or village. You can chose whatever suits you, expat community, all Spanish, whatever you wish.

Just do learn the language as it will massively improve you experience.

Health wise, it's far better here, and remember this. In the UK, many pensioners have the choice of eating or staying warm. Here the winters aren't as bad, and the lifestyle is more relaxed.

Why not rent here for the coming winter? That will give you a better taste for the life here and you can maybe try different areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.