Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has Spain gone soft on benefits?

Wikiposts

Has Spain gone soft on benefits?

Old Oct 17th 2010, 7:00 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Spain gone soft on benefits?

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
Thanks for that. I just assumed it had to be unbroken. I've heard of cases when your last employer refuses to sign you off and so you can't claim. How does that work?

I not exactly sure what you mean, do you mean when someone wants to leave the job of their own free will?

Because in that case you will not be entitled to dole, the employer must sack you or you must finish the contract, then you can get dole.

iF YOU Leave a job before the end of your contract you CANNOT GET DOLE, I think that is what you are talking about.

A lot of employees ask the employer to sack them but a lot will not do it because if it happens too often, they will get an inspection from the SS.

Last edited by JLFS; Oct 17th 2010 at 7:32 am.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JLFS
I not exactly sure what you mean, do you mean when someone wants to leave the job of their own free will?

Because in that case you will not be entitled to dole, the employer must sack you or you must finish the contract, then you can get dole.

iF YOU Leave a job before the end of your contract you CANNOT GET DOLE, I think that is what you are talking about.

A lot of employees ask the employer to sack them but a lot will not do it because if it happens too often, they will get an inspection from the SS.
I think your right except that in several situations recently the boss wasn't paying them and still refused to sign them off.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:33 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
I think your right except that in several situations recently the boss wasn't paying them and still refused to sign them off.
I was not thinking along those lines.......

But in that case, I think the problem is that the employer may not have the money to still pay the workers (in some cases they may get paid some and others not get paid at all) at the end of the month, but the reason why they dont sign them off is because they cannot afford to pay them the finiquito, which must be handed over when the are finished off.
This lump sum finiquito can be very large if the employer has been with the company for a long time, and if the company is in financial trouble, it is impossible for them to get rid of the workers, a no win situation.

Although I have heard that in certain circumstances, the number of days per year "redundancy" payment has been relaxed if the firm in question is in financial trouble, but even then it is still difficult for a struggling business to finance the system of getting rid of staff.

It is a catch 22 situation, because the longer the worker is kept on, the higher the amount of the finiquito will be.

An employer can delay paying the wage a lot longer than he could avoid paying the finiquito, if you see what I mean.

There are no government schemes on funds in place to help the people who are not receiving their wage, either you are employed or unemployed, the fact that they are working for no pay does not enter into the equation.

A worker in this situation would sometimes complicat things further by walking out of the job, then they would not be entitled to any dole......if they have another job to go to with an immediate start, that is a different matter.
But they would still have a fight on their hand, trying to get what is rightfully theirs ie the finiquito.

IMO there should be a stop gap to help workers in this predicament, as they still have bills to pay.

A sad mess to be in, for both employee and employer........
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by avocados
The system is Spain can be quite generous, but to the wrong people.

I get a daily commentary from my OH, who works in the system and its clear that benefit fraud is alive and well in Spain, unmarried mothers with children being the biggest fraudsters, followed by women in general and then old people of both genders.

They will lie, cheat and do almost anything to get "free" money which they think they are entitled to.

Some people can live on various benefits for years, combining pregnancy, redundancy, sickness, fake jobs, etc. A lot of people are trying to go permanent incapacity at the moment.

Fortunately, there has been a big clampdown on these cheats in the last 6 months. I should also point out that the fraud is not limited to Spanish Nationals. A lot of foreigners that have made various claims, but who have now left the country with the money (without informing the authorities), may get a very big surprise, if they return (repay all benefits claimed in previous 4 years). The debt stays on file forever.

The only people to get nothing from the system are young single men, who are left to rot and are completely ignored, leaving a lost generation which will have a big impact on Spain, in the future.
There may be some benefit fraud in Spain, but I personally have never seen it on a grand scale.
Ok, I suppose we all know of someone who" gets employed" so that they can work the system, as in if someone health is a bit dodgy and they do not have enought contributions to be able to apply for permanent disability. That way the number of contributions gets reached and they can go through the process of being signed off for good, with a payment.

I knew a woman some years ago, who has since died, who became a self employed cleaner and paid her "stamp" she was nearing 60 and in bad health, but she was about 11 months short of payments to qualify.
So life was very difficult for her.

Under those circumstances, even though the law is being broken, it is very hard not to give a little helping hand to someone in those circumstances, and she was give a little help by people claiming that she was their cleaner and her employment was legit.

Some might condem this form of fraud, but it is the harsh reality of the desperation of some folk that they have to resort to these measures.
Of course not all of them are ill, as in the case of "el caso Kampanario"
Where the mother in law of a famous bullfighter paid a disabled woman to take her place at a medical.
She "bought" a work contract to get her credits up to the level at which she could claim, (she is in her 50s, so it was a bit suspicious).

They also paid about 25k to bribe doctors and officials, to get her application through.
So quite a few conspiritors are waiting in the dock at the moment.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 3:31 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I was not thinking along those lines.......

But in that case, I think the problem is that the employer may not have the money to still pay the workers (in some cases they may get paid some and others not get paid at all) at the end of the month, but the reason why they dont sign them off is because they cannot afford to pay them the finiquito, which must be handed over when the are finished off.
This lump sum finiquito can be very large if the employer has been with the company for a long time, and if the company is in financial trouble, it is impossible for them to get rid of the workers, a no win situation.

Although I have heard that in certain circumstances, the number of days per year "redundancy" payment has been relaxed if the firm in question is in financial trouble, but even then it is still difficult for a struggling business to finance the system of getting rid of staff.

It is a catch 22 situation, because the longer the worker is kept on, the higher the amount of the finiquito will be.

An employer can delay paying the wage a lot longer than he could avoid paying the finiquito, if you see what I mean.

There are no government schemes on funds in place to help the people who are not receiving their wage, either you are employed or unemployed, the fact that they are working for no pay does not enter into the equation.

A worker in this situation would sometimes complicat things further by walking out of the job, then they would not be entitled to any dole......if they have another job to go to with an immediate start, that is a different matter.
But they would still have a fight on their hand, trying to get what is rightfully theirs ie the finiquito.

IMO there should be a stop gap to help workers in this predicament, as they still have bills to pay.

A sad mess to be in, for both employee and employer........
Good post JLFS, we have a situation at work where one of the directors came into some money and now wants the boss to sack him (I think his finiquito would be around €126,000) but as this isn't going to happen he's causing lots of problems for the company including denouncing for anything & everything which has cost the company a lot of money, part of the downfall of this idiots plans is that we're in a crisis, we don't have a lot of work and the boss hasn't been able to pay our August nomina (by law your boss can pay up to 2 months late twice a year). The system can be abused by both sides but all in all it's a no win situation, for every person that manages to fidle the system someone else will lose out.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Peter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to allPeter James is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scampicat
Why do you think many asylum speakers ignore all the other countries they pass through and go to the UK?
Because Britain has the least regulated labour market in Europe. Hence it is the easiest country to disappear into the black economy.
Illegal immigrants drive down wages, and drive up property prices as they increase the demand for housing. Hence the British Establshment has long tackled illegal immigration in a half hearted manner.