Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has anyone driven to Spain since Jan 1st 2021

Has anyone driven to Spain since Jan 1st 2021

Old Apr 25th 2021, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone driven to Spain since Jan 1st 2021

Hi all
I've posted a couple of other threads on here and have had amazing responses and help. So thank you

My next question is, has anyone, since the UK left the EU on 1st Jan 21, driven from the UK to Spain in a vehicle, with their own personal belongings with them?

As they only information I can find online relates to items that are either shipped or when using a removal firm.

I have spoken to a law firm in Spain who feel that I should not require anything to land in Spain via Portsmouth. However, I have also spoken to a Spanish customs company that say I need to declare everything and pay 21% IVA (VAT).

I found this link that says I do not need to pay IVA :
https://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEAT.internet/en_gb/Inicio/La_Agencia_Tributaria/Aduanas_e_Impuestos_Especiales/_Presentacion/Procedimientos_y_gestiones_en_la_Aduana/_PARTICULARES/Franquicias_por_traslado_de_residencia/_INFORMACION/Folleto_informativo/Folleto_informativo.shtml

So my question is, has anyone driven to Spain recently, and how did they manage the move and customs?

Thanks in advance

Old Apr 26th 2021, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone driven to Spain since Jan 1st 2021

The problem I see with that link is that it would seem to refer to those who HAVE transferred their residence and NOT to those who have merely acquired an NLV which only permits them to enter Spain and then apply so the idea of packing it all in van and travelling with just the visa may not fly.

There is another piece here which alludes to that https://www.thelocal.es/20210420/exp...ings-to-spain/

There is further potential pitfall in the requirement "to have lived consecutively for 12 months in a non-EU country" as technically UK only became non-EU on Jan 1st. this year.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
The problem I see with that link is that it would seem to refer to those who HAVE transferred their residence and NOT to those who have merely acquired an NLV which only permits them to enter Spain and then apply so the idea of packing it all in van and travelling with just the visa may not fly.

There is another piece here which alludes to that https://www.thelocal.es/20210420/exp...ings-to-spain/

There is further potential pitfall in the requirement "to have lived consecutively for 12 months in a non-EU country" as technically UK only became non-EU on Jan 1st. this year.
No idea....
Even your link doesn't help
Especially the part that says the spanish need a document, but are not sure what that document is....
Am I the only one that wants to/has driven to Spain since Brexit...
Old Apr 26th 2021, 8:22 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I am waiting to hear how you get on :-)
Old Apr 26th 2021, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
I am waiting to hear how you get on :-)
So am I....
Old Apr 27th 2021, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Owls is an unknown quantity at this point

That makes 3 of us waiting to see, hopefully planning an early July trip although just with a loaded car.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Mid-June I'm hoping to drive from Germany to southern Spain, fortunately not with all my household goods in the car though, just some new bedding and a couple of suitcases.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Owls
That makes 3 of us waiting to see, hopefully planning an early July trip although just with a loaded car.
have u tried looking at customs or are you just going to risk it Owl?
Old Apr 27th 2021, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mark604
Mid-June I'm hoping to drive from Germany to southern Spain, fortunately not with all my household goods in the car though, just some new bedding and a couple of suitcases.
Should be no issue for u as you're in the EU 🤢
Old Apr 27th 2021, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of. UK passport though. Don't quite know yet if that will make a difference. I'll look into that closer to the time.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Owls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfonsocolli
have u tried looking at customs or are you just going to risk it Owl?
As I understand it, if it's our personal belongings, clothing and other small bits and bobs, really didn't think we'd have an issue but must admit not checked in depth, probably should lol and will.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of. UK passport though. Don't quite know yet if that will make a difference. I'll look into that closer to the time.
As you are in Schengen, there should be no customs or immigration checks when crossing borders. There may be checks for Covid tests etc.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 7:40 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Keep an eye on the up-to-date info in the France forum!
"Normally" the 10 km travel restriction will be lifted next week, and the President is expected to announce it before the end of the weekend. Even so, the 30 km restriction might still be in force and there's speculation that the 19h00 curfew will continue well into June. Everything depends on the Covid/hospital bed figures.....
Have you got Spanish Residency? For international overland travel, it may be that only Spanish Residents will be able to transit France, to go "home". Something else to check beforehand, esp. if you have a UK Passport.
HTH
Old Apr 28th 2021, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dmu, that's the quandary. I don't have Spanish residence so the knock on effect regarding France and/or Spain is something I'm having to try and keep abreast of. I have the normal NIE and deeds to a house but that only goes so far and currently not good enough. The 90/180 Schengen rule won't be a problem initially and I'll leave Schengen before that is up anyway.
It's just the restrictions if still relevant for France and especially if I'd be able to either/and enter Spain and get to and enter Andalusia.
Difficult at times to find out what the exact regulations are specific that rather than the general local mask wearing, shopping, bars etc.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 9:28 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If you have German residency and you can prove it (passport + residency card) it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have German residency, maybe you might need to show something like your flight booking in and out of Germany.

If you're travelling by road or rail you don't need a negative test result. Not sure about France's restrictions though.

Spain Travel Health website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.