Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It has all gone wrong.....

It has all gone wrong.....

Old May 6th 2008, 12:57 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default It has all gone wrong.....

Has anyone read the Sun today? There is an article about Brits living in Spain, who are having a hard time due to different circumstances. The exchange rate for pound to euro has hit hard, and pensioners are suffering. To the people who are thinking about making the move, take heed. Dont put all your eggs in the one basket. I hope these people can have a happy ending and hope that good times and good news are coming.
Old May 6th 2008, 1:01 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It has all gone wrong.....

The Sun

Even if the Euro became 1:1 it would still be cheaper for pensioners to live there than in the UK I'd imagine.
Old May 6th 2008, 1:10 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
The Sun

Even if the Euro became 1:1 it would still be cheaper for pensioners to live there than in the UK I'd imagine.
It depends on the amount of pension because a person with a low income or pension can get extra payments in the UK. They can get help with rent and things, and if they are disabled they can get carers allowance and such. Of course the more well off pensioner need not worry about such things as the exchange rate.
Old May 6th 2008, 2:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
It depends on the amount of pension because a person with a low income or pension can get extra payments in the UK. They can get help with rent and things, and if they are disabled they can get carers allowance and such. Of course the more well off pensioner need not worry about such things as the exchange rate.
A lot of the extra payments can move with you to Spain if you ask DWP for the paperwork.
Old May 6th 2008, 3:33 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO You'd be off your rocker if you moved to Spain if your pension was that minimal and you couldn't afford to buy a property outright.

Do pensioners do this? move there and rent permanently? seems a bit insane since as you said they would be better off in the UK in that respect, even before the pounds strength compared to the euro.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:45 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

You read The Sun? You sick freak!
Old May 6th 2008, 5:42 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I bet like most of us he just wipes his bum with it, and thus can't help but catch the odd word .

I stopped reading the papers more than a year ago, and feel a lot better for it.
Old May 6th 2008, 6:00 pm
Banned

It is not only pensioners that are having a hard time, one story is about a couple in their 50s who tried doing odd jobs and airport runs, but there are so many Brits providing these services that they cannot sustain themselves. They are trying to sell up before they are repossessed.They dont have Spanish health care. It is stupid, but people come to Spain all the time and think that they can get by doing odd jobs. I would never be that brave, we came here speaking the language fluently, I am UK born of Spanish parents and my OH is Spanish from the North West. We still thought long and hard about making the move, though.
Old May 6th 2008, 6:04 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bil
I bet like most of us he just wipes his bum with it, and thus can't help but catch the odd word .

I stopped reading the papers more than a year ago, and feel a lot better for it.

Read the sun and others here www.wrx.zen.co.uk for free however no bum wiping material included
Old May 6th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

.................... It is stupid, but people come to Spain all the time and think that they can get by doing odd jobs. I would never be that brave, we came here speaking the language fluently................

So is it possible to make a living by speaking Spanish and not doing anything else? I don't get your point there MM?
Old May 6th 2008, 6:32 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
So is it possible to make a living by speaking Spanish and not doing anything else? I don't get your point there MM?
I don't think that was the point, more that even with more going for you (eg fluency in Spanish which is an advantage out there if you want work) it's pretty damn reckless to go out there without proper support.

...and yet, isn't chasing the dream what it is all about? I bet that if onle sensible people with full financial backing and carefully thought out plans went to Spain, there would be a lot less of us out there.

A little madness is like yeast......
Old May 6th 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
.................A little madness is like yeast......
Madness gives you thrush too, bloody hell!!

Take the point B, but as you point out there must be plenty of peeps getting by, doing all sorts of stuff - I couldn't do it, but many may not have much to lose - skint and homeless in the UK, skint and homeless in Spain - you decide?
Old May 6th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Madness gives you thrush too, bloody hell!!

Take the point B, but as you point out there must be plenty of peeps getting by, doing all sorts of stuff - I couldn't do it, but many may not have much to lose - skint and homeless in the UK, skint and homeless in Spain - you decide?
Well that's what brought me here! Lasted 5 years so far!
Stuck a pin in the map, packed the car and left!
Old May 6th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Well that's what brought me here! Lasted 5 years so far!
Stuck a pin in the map, packed the car and left!
And look at you now, a newly painted pool - no house, living of Mcd's scraps - but what a pool!!!
Old May 6th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

And look at you now, a newly painted pool - no house, living of Mcd's scraps - but what a pool!!!
No, the rest is there too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.