Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

This happened in our village tonight

This happened in our village tonight

Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default This happened in our village tonight

Thought you might be interested to see a few photos from an event in our village this evening.

Our neighbouring village is celebrating the Fiesta of San Marco today.
This involves them spending all day at a Romeria (big picnic in the countryside) and then at about 8.30pm they arrived here in our village in a convoy of cars and vans............and on horseback

Apparently, the reason they come here is because their Plaza is very small (and people in the two villages are friends and relatives)
So they announce their arrival by hooting their horns repeatedly (and they continue to do so while they're crammed into our Plaza!)
Obviously, people have been drinking all day at the Romeria, so spirits are fairly high, and there's plenty of dancing and singing going on.
There doesn't seem to be any consideration about not drinking and driving!!

Everyone waits excitedly for the horses and riders to arrive, and they make a dramatic entrance down the stone paved streets.
Many riders wear traditional dress, and others come swathed in Spanish or Extremaduran flags.
Then there's a chance for the local children to ride some of the horses, and for the horsemen to show off some of their handling skills.
The horses are incredibly calm, considering all the noise that goes on around them throughout!

Most of our villagers come out to greet the visiting villagers; a few drinks are shared and then after about an hour of noise and hilarity, off they go back to their village for the Verbena (night of dancing and singing, and general partying!)

Here are a few photos:
Attached Thumbnails This happened in our village tonight-29-april-009.jpg   This happened in our village tonight-san-marco-28.4.07-004.jpg   This happened in our village tonight-san-marco-28.4.07-015.jpg   This happened in our village tonight-san-marco-28.4.07-016.jpg   This happened in our village tonight-san-marco-28.4.07-020.jpg  

Last edited by brisca; Apr 28th 2007 at 8:51 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This happened in our village tonight

Just a few more photos!
Hopefully they give an idea of the atmosphere??
Attached Thumbnails This happened in our village tonight-san-marco-28.4.07-024.jpg   This happened in our village tonight-san-marco-28.4.07-025.jpg   This happened in our village tonight-29-april-018.jpg  
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:13 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Sam for sharing the pictures with us,there certainly looks to be a jolly atmosphere,I must have missed you riding It looks as if your quiet little Plaza has been livened up,It is nice to think that the traditional fiesta,s are still alive and kicking,I will look forward to joining in a few when we relocate.As you know we used to have carnivals every summer when we were kids,unfortunately long in the past.Very nice pictures.......
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam,
Great photos! So colourful! Thank you for taking the time to post these on the forum.
Now, where is Antonio Banderas?
It still looks a bit chilly, eh? That flag helps to keep him warm...
Any more holidays coming up? (Labour Day?)
Regards,
Carol
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sam, very interesting.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Thought you might be interested to see a few photos from an event in our village this evening.

Our neighbouring village is celebrating the Fiesta of San Marco today.
This involves them spending all day at a Romeria (big picnic in the countryside) and then at about 8.30pm they arrived here in our village in a convoy of cars and vans............and on horseback

Apparently, the reason they come here is because their Plaza is very small (and people in the two villages are friends and relatives)
So they announce their arrival by hooting their horns repeatedly (and they continue to do so while they're crammed into our Plaza!)
Obviously, people have been drinking all day at the Romeria, so spirits are fairly high, and there's plenty of dancing and singing going on.
There doesn't seem to be any consideration about not drinking and driving!!

Everyone waits excitedly for the horses and riders to arrive, and they make a dramatic entrance down the stone paved streets.
Many riders wear traditional dress, and others come swathed in Spanish or Extremaduran flags.
Then there's a chance for the local children to ride some of the horses, and for the horsemen to show off some of their handling skills.
The horses are incredibly calm, considering all the noise that goes on around them throughout!

Most of our villagers come out to greet the visiting villagers; a few drinks are shared and then after about an hour of noise and hilarity, off they go back to their village for the Verbena (night of dancing and singing, and general partying!)

Here are a few photos:
Thanks for sharing your fiesta - real Spain at its best.

Are you ready for the next one?

Rosemary
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:42 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Thanks Sam for the photo's, looks like it was good fun for all.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 10:08 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

brill pics, traditions really do mean something to the spanish, the village looks really quaint, do you live in the village or are you in the campo? My little bit of spain is in my photo gallery,there is one view of my village, also very old. thanks for posting pics, light hearted and nice to see after some of the heavier issues that have been going on.
Luv Eve
Old Apr 28th 2007, 10:38 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

nice one .. thanks for sharing that ..
Old Apr 28th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey folks!

Glad you've enjoyed seeing the photos
Thank you all for your appreciative comments.

I will answer people's questions tomorrow, but I must head off to bed now as I've got to get up early for my Sunday walk!
Should've been in bed ages ago!

Night night all xx
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Hey folks!

Glad you've enjoyed seeing the photos
Thank you all for your appreciative comments.

I will answer people's questions tomorrow, but I must head off to bed now as I've got to get up early for my Sunday walk!
Should've been in bed ages ago!

Night night all xx
Wonderfully atmospheric - excellent scenes.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:18 am
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

it happened here this morning outside the town hall, could have been somthing else but lots of bikes for about an hour.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello folks

Sorry for the delay in replying to questions, but I've been out walking (in the sunshine!) all day
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jandy44
Thank you Sam for sharing the pictures with us,there certainly looks to be a jolly atmosphere,I must have missed you riding It looks as if your quiet little Plaza has been livened up,It is nice to think that the traditional fiesta,s are still alive and kicking,I will look forward to joining in a few when we relocate.As you know we used to have carnivals every summer when we were kids,unfortunately long in the past.Very nice pictures.......

You won't catch me riding Jean!!

However, a man in the village has asked me several times to go riding, and he's taken me to see his horses.
When I told him I was scared of riding (I'm not scared of horses) he assured me that he'd keep me safe, and that I could ride on the same horse as him!
Well, he's a very nice person but....................................
He works with cows all day, and I think he possibly has a bath/shower/wash once or twice a year so somehow that idea didn't appeal to me too much!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi Sam,
Great photos! So colourful! Thank you for taking the time to post these on the forum.
Now, where is Antonio Banderas?
It still looks a bit chilly, eh? That flag helps to keep him warm...
Any more holidays coming up? (Labour Day?)
Regards,
Carol

Hi there Carol,
Well it certainly would have been a treat if Antonio Banderas had shown up!
However, I do think that the young man in the 4th photo is worth a second look!!
I also took his photo last year.
We'd not been here very long, and we didn't know why all these people had suddenly arrived making so much noise!
He looked right at me just as I took the photo, and I was really embarrassed. The only thing I could think of (with my limited language) was "muy guapo!!"
This year, I was just a brazen hussy snapping away willy nilly!

As to the weather; yes it's still unseasonably chilly and not at all settled
We had HAIL yesterday, for goodness' sake!!
Still, the weather didn't seem to dampen anyone's spirits - and judging by the dancing, singing and acrobatics going on, everyone was so well oiled that they weren't noticing the cold!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.