Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Guiri With No UK Car Insurance?

Wikiposts

Guiri With No UK Car Insurance?

Old Jun 10th 2011, 11:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guiri With No UK Car Insurance?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats interesting, I have PLI for our car shows and thats about £450 in total
Yeah mine was about £295 about 18 months ago and that was for tools and up to 3 million if I remember right but its well over £600 now and they are trying to say I need 5 million which is utter crap as I have all my tickets to use machinery and saws.

Originally Posted by Rotor
Have you tried gocompare and the likes? I got cover on a 98 Defender down to 230 quid tpft , 6 yrs ncb , 3rd car .
Yep, I actually think sites like that are crap, I've always used an agent and I have never had anything other than fully comp, not even my first insurance was third party
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Yeah mine was about £295 about 18 months ago and that was for tools and up to 3 million if I remember right but its well over £600 now and they are trying to say I need 5 million which is utter crap as I have all my tickets to use machinery and saws.

Yep, I actually think sites like that are crap, I've always used an agent and I have never had anything other than fully comp, not even my first insurance was third party
Some cars are not worth fully comp, especially if your in the trade and can fix them for a fraction of the cost to Joe public should the need ever arise, comparison websites are the best, you can tweek/change your requirements to get the best deal for yourself in a few minutes , sure they take a commision but then so dose your local agent who will no doubt use one of the companies on the comparison websites
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:39 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Some cars are not worth fully comp, especially if your in the trade and can fix them for a fraction of the cost to Joe public should the need ever arise, comparison websites are the best, you can tweek/change your requirements to get the best deal for yourself in a few minutes , sure they take a commision but then so dose your local agent who will no doubt use one of the companies on the comparison websites
My problem is that my truck can have around 5 grands worth of tools in it when I go off to work and third party would just not cut it.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 6:14 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
OK change of topic but what do you mean by funeral insurance? Do you mean and insurance that pays out when you die or paying for your funeral in advance with a funeral director? If it is the second one you will need to go into it very thoroughly. My MIL thought that she had paid for her funeral several years before she died but when the time came we found that we had to pay for the majority of it, apparently the plan only covers certain items (the cheapest as it turned out). So glad that MIL was not aware she thought that she was being sensible and that we would not have any expense.

Rosemary
Personally, I haven't researched it sufficiently, I'm trying to put it off for a bit longer.

However, my wife is an interpreter and has frequently dealt with sad cases where expats have died unexpectedly in foreign fields. We've had many calls from expats needing help. A common scenario is a spouse being admitted to hospital as an emergency and the partner phoning to enquire about the partner's condition and not understanding the Spanish response.

When my wife subsequently phoned, she was informed that the person had died and from that time on we have tried to help the people concerned, a heartbreaking task.

When there is suitable insurance, the various company's response is varied. The expat companies who advertise extensively, but only with mobile phone numbers and web sites are generally hopeless, often uncontactable.

The main Spanish insurance companies vary. Some are unhelpful and only speak Spanish, others take over completely and arrange everything, as should happen.

Repatriation costs around £14,000, a Spanish cremation with a minimal church service around £3,000. It's worth being prepared.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 10:56 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

What drives me mad is when you have a car that's wrecked, the insurance will only give you 700, but to get a replacement is a couple of grand.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 3:25 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
By the way, on a car over (I think) 6 years old you struggle to get fully comprehensive insurance. I certainly didnt have it on my UK car, and on my Spanish one I think it will revert to TPFT
Our car was first registered in 1997 and we still have fully comp, through Linea Directa.