Reload this Page >

Young Family Moving to Spain

Young Family Moving to Spain

Old Jan 25th 2017, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Fun in the sun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young Family Moving to Spain

Hi All,

Totally new to this forum so please be gentle! thought it would be a great place to start and gain some good advice, so i hope you can help?!

I know this subject may have been covered many times before but i wanted to get some up to date advice on our personal situation. So apologies to anyone repeating any advice.

We are a young family 37 & 36 with two young children 2 & 4 Months. We are interested in moving to Spain for a healthier more outdoorsy life.

After travelling around Spain, France and Italy looking for somewhere to live we decided that Spain would be our best bet for a number of reasons. We travelled all over Spain and fell in love with many areas, but due to one reason or another those particular areas were not suitable. We have however decided that as far as regions go, Andalusia is the best place for us. We have narrowed our search down to the Malaga region not discounting Granada.

We are particularly interested in Estepona and feel that would be a good starting point.

Our requirements are:
- Good schools (Int'l & local) / nurseries
- Infrastructure - Activities for the kids, amenities etc..
- Not reliant on tourism, so open all year round
- Not brits abroad and only fools and horses bars (no offence to anyone if thats your thing)
- Spanish feeling town
- Reasonable distance to hospital / medical centre

Work is not an issue as we have our own business. We do not speak spanish but will learn.

We are open to all suggestions (even outside of Andalusia if its perfect for us) and look forward to hearing from you.

p.s. We are flying out to Malaga in March to finalise the area we want to live in and to also speak with agents re long term lets etc.. (another post which i'll save for a later date).

Thanks again

Last edited by Fun in the sun; Jan 25th 2017 at 12:57 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Family Moving to Spain

Have you looked into how you'll pay tax in Spain? You might have to register your business in Spain, which might throw up it's own set of complications and costs.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

I have spoken to my accountant regarding tax implications. As there is a tax treaty in place between Spain and UK we should be ok. I will be discussing this in more detail over the coming weeks as tax return has just gone in this month,
Old Jan 25th 2017, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to check social security payments as well. If you are working while resident in Spain it is not just a case of filling out a tax return each year. You need to pay into the social security system as well, and for that you either need to work for a company that is registered in Spain, or possibly you can register yourselves as autonomos (freelancers) and invoice your own company.

Not trying to put you off or anything (people do do this, and a decent gestor can simplify things immensely) but it's good to be aware of all this from the outset.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 1:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fun in the sun
I have spoken to my accountant regarding tax implications. As there is a tax treaty in place between Spain and UK we should be ok. I will be discussing this in more detail over the coming weeks as tax return has just gone in this month,
You do need to ensure that your accountant is up to speed with the Spanish tax system as that is where you will be being taxed, forget about UK tax, if you are living in Spain, then you will be taxed on your worldwide income in Spain, you will also have to set up as a business in Spain. Even if yours is an online business you will be living in Spain and therefore liable to Spanish taxes.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:06 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Totally new to this forum so please be gentle! thought it would be a great place to start and gain some good advice, so i hope you can help?!

Thanks again
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

We have a couple of properties we receive an income on in the UK.

So, what you guy's are saying is that, with the income we receive from our UK assets (which get paid into a UK bank account), we would have to pay tax on our income in Spain even if we are set up as a Ltd company in the UK?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We have a couple of properties we receive an income on in the UK.

So, what you guy's are saying is that, with the income we receive from our UK assets (which get paid into a UK bank account), we would have to pay tax on our income in Spain even if we are set up as a Ltd company in the UK?
Yes, you are taxed where you live. If you set up a UK Ltd company it will be taxed in the UK, but if you live in Spain you must pay Spanish income tax and social deductions on all salaries paid to you by the Ltd. You would also be taxed in Spain if your Ltd pays dividends to you.

I am not sure if you might get some credit in Spain for taxes paid by the Ltd in the UK.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pulaski. I will look into with my accountant in more detail.

Back to the original question.. does anyone have any advice?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Back to the original question.. does anyone have any advice?
I live in an area that probably won't interest you, so can't really help much. I'd only say that with such young kids there's no point worrying about international schools, just pick a town and head for the best state school. Also stay flexible (i.e. don't by a house to begin with) so you are free to move again if you decide somewhere else is more suitable.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I know this subject may have been covered many times before but i wanted to get some up to date advice on our personal situation. So apologies to anyone repeating any advice.

We are a young family 37 & 36 with two young children 2 & 4 Months. We are interested in moving to Spain for a healthier more outdoorsy life.

After travelling around Spain, France and Italy looking for somewhere to live we decided that Spain would be our best bet for a number of reasons. We travelled all over Spain and fell in love with many areas, but due to one reason or another those particular areas were not suitable. We have however decided that as far as regions go, Andalusia is the best place for us. We have narrowed our search down to the Malaga region not discounting Granada.

We are particularly interested in Estepona and feel that would be a good starting point.

Our requirements are:
- Good schools (Int'l & local) / nurseries
- Infrastructure - Activities for the kids, amenities etc..
- Not reliant on tourism, so open all year round
- Not brits abroad and only fools and horses bars (no offence to anyone if thats your thing)
- Spanish feeling town
- Reasonable distance to hospital / medical centre

Work is not an issue as we have our own business. We do not speak spanish but will learn.

We are open to all suggestions (even outside of Andalusia if its perfect for us) and look forward to hearing from you.

p.s. We are flying out to Malaga in March to finalise the area we want to live in and to also speak with agents re long term lets etc.. (another post which i'll save for a later date).

Thanks again
Hi! welcome to the idea of moving to spain..me and my husband moved here almost four years ago (my husband is spanish) and i am british from london.
We are both in our 30´s and have just had a baby here, however we live in the north of spain in the castilla y leon region..no tourists..plenty of rural villages..authentic spanish culture..it has its ups and downs, pace is much slower but the quality of life is great.. there is usually one bilingual school around in the areas and hospital care is clean and excellent. There is a local ski resort as well as other outdoor activities available, things your unlikely to be able to do everyday in england!We are driving distance from the cities so we get to have the best of both worlds.hope this helps.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

I am Andalucia based (Granada), although presently in Ibiza for a couple of years. I love Andalucia - it is a fabulous place to live for all sorts of reasons.

Given that you are looking at Estepona (and, presumably coastal, or near coastal towns) then, you are just going to have to enjoy the expat scene, the pubs, the British tourists etc alongside the traditional Spanish culture.

All of Andalucia is seasonal in respect of economics. Even the small villages in the mountains rely on tourism today for a large part of their income. Winter 'close down' will happen almost everywhere to a certain extent. Larger cities like Malaga, and Granada operate normally all year round, sort of! Many businesses in Granada will close for July and August mostly because of the heat. The university closes and takes away all the students also. The unwise foreign tourist is pretty much all you see during the day.

Malaga is very different. Although as much affected by seasonal business, it is very much an all year round sort of place. Plenty of people from all over Europe (and, indeed the World) make it their life 12 months a year amongst the local Spanish folk. It is a very easy city to settle in to. Good services. Ever improving infrastructure. Healthy business prospects. The airport makes a big difference. As do the cruise ships - you just can't escape the tourism aspect in this part of Spain.

I could ramble forever here, so I am going to cut it short. Forget going west to Estepona and go East instead. Take a look at Nerja. Easy drive to Malaga, or Granada, but all essentials are there, or there abouts.

Good luck!
Old Jan 27th 2017, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that Andalucia does not end at Gibraltar. There are some wonderful places to the West which have not been visited by mass Brit tourism. Cadiz, Jerez, Huelva, Ayamonte etc. All of them would tick your boxes and are far less 'expat' areas (although there are a few small but beautifully formed expat enclaves )
Old Jan 27th 2017, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your helpful responses.

We love Cadiz and spent a lot of time there. I have a good Spanish friend that lives in Chiclana so i am very familiar with the area. The only thing about the west is that it can become very quiet on the coast out of season and the good schools are either in Jerez or Seville which can take up a lot of time travelling back and forth from. If we had older kids it would have been easier to settle around there.

We were going to spend a week in Estepona and a week in Nerja to get a feel for both areas (east and west of malaga). Don't get me wrong, we're happy to have an ex-pat community but also really want to make an effort to integrate with the spanish people and culture too.

We will rent for at least a year or two before we even think about buying a place in Spain.

I think the key for us is to live somewhere that is close (within an hour) to a big city so we have all the amenities we may need at the quieter times of the year.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your helpful responses.

We love Cadiz and spent a lot of time there. I have a good Spanish friend that lives in Chiclana so i am very familiar with the area. The only thing about the west is that it can become very quiet on the coast out of season and the good schools are either in Jerez or Seville which can take up a lot of time travelling back and forth from. If we had older kids it would have been easier to settle around there.

We were going to spend a week in Estepona and a week in Nerja to get a feel for both areas (east and west of malaga). Don't get me wrong, we're happy to have an ex-pat community but also really want to make an effort to integrate with the spanish people and culture too.

We will rent for at least a year or two before we even think about buying a place in Spain.

I think the key for us is to live somewhere that is close (within an hour) to a big city so we have all the amenities we may need at the quieter times of the year.
There are 2 elements to your criteria that are problematic

You want to live on the Coast but in an area that isnt reliant on tourism

And you dont want to be around Brits abroad

Basically that is an impossible ask pretty much anywhere on the Andalucian and Med Coast, unless you go an live in a city such as Malaga. Estepona is primarily an area that tourists live and there are loads of Brits there. However, that doesnt mean that you have to eat at the greasy spoon etc.

I used to live in Benalmadena but I made it a rule to only speak Spanish when outside of the house. The problem being that English speakers assumed I was Spanish, and Spanish speakers (by the way I look) assumed I was a foreigner who didnt speak Spanish

It is difficult to integrate in any of the tourist areas because of this issue, but at the end of the day, personal relationships are built according to what you put into them, nothing else

So to conclude, Estepona is full of tourists in the summer, is very quiet in teh winter and has plenty of Brits who live there, but that shouldnt put you off. Plenty of Spanish, Germans and Finns live there too, you can mix with whoever you want to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.