Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Guardia Civil shooting in Gib waters

Guardia Civil shooting in Gib waters

Old Jul 6th 2013, 4:24 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guardia Civil shooting in Gib waters

If you are referring to me , I am British of British descent goi ng back into the mists of time and a full passport holder.
This is in the Toros section of the forum so do not be surprised if you get contrary opinions. Maybe I am wrong but the incident that sparked off this thread received little of any attention in the UK indicating the low level of interest in the affairs of Gib and its local dsputes with its neighbour.
When the UK had an empire east of suez Gib had a strategc importance but today its value strategic and economic is declning.
There was a prog recently about the 10 most dangerous airports n the world, Gib was up there with the worst. This further limits its potential for just about anything.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I think you will find that the Petrol was €1.32 Diesel is €1.25.

Gib currency is the £ if you want a good exchange rate then go to a bank, if you want to pay in €s then expect the retailer who has then to go to the bank on your behalf to charge more.
However you can pay in €s at very good rates in some places Morrisson's and petrol stations due to their high € turnover.

Maybe you should have words with your MEP about racial discrimination within Europe!!
The Petrol (95 Oct) was £1,32 with 98 at £1.45 at Petroil I think it was called. Here in Malaga it's around 1.43€ for 95 Octane.
For the rest there was a sign up In GB soil in English and Spanish saying sorry for the problems and suggesting that one complain to the Spanish interior ministry and to the council of europe
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:06 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

So fuel is cheaper in Spain , so why go to Gib for it ???
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:11 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
So fuel is cheaper in Spain , so why go to Gib for it ???
If it is true then there is obviously no point whatever buying it in Gib. However I fill up there every few weeks and, if it is now more expensive, that is a very recent development.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:13 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Am I right to assume that Gib is then not part of the EU ?
Let's face it EMR, you are a little out of your depth here aren't you?
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:26 pm
EMR
Banned

No I am askng questions, like 95.% of Brits Gib is of no interest and we know little and have little interest in its affairs.
The last time it came to my attention was a few years ago when two friends who are in the army were posted there for a short time. To say that they were bored out of their minds would be putting it mildly.

£1.32 x E1.13/£1 = E1.49. The better the rate the cheaper in Spain fuel is and obviously the opposite would apply.
UK fuel is going up as the £ has taken a real hit against the dollar.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

The wishes of the residents should count more than anything else, if rights by conquist are to be discounted then that would mean Spain should give back Ibiza to Norway as the previous owner or to the first settlers i.e. Lebanon. Spain had nothing to with Ibiza until the early 13th century.
For me the Gib problem must go back to the original treaty. If all parties are in agreement to abrogate the treaty fine, If not it must remain. Remember the final settlement with Germany was only sorted between 1989/90 and most people know nothing about it. Without this, unification could not have taken place.
The Chinese in Hongkong have basically kept to their word and almost nothing changed. I spent 2yrs working their up until 2000 and everything was very British. I still get newsletters etc from there and there appears to be no desire for change. If Gib reverted to Spanish rule I don't believe that there would be no change, It would be one certificate of empadronamiento after another with a huge influx of civil servants etc etc.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Specsavers

Photos taken today
Attached Thumbnails Guardia Civil shooting in Gib waters-p7068851.jpg   Guardia Civil shooting in Gib waters-p7068853.jpg  
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boissano
Had Fish and chips for lunch, total for the meal 21,05 pounds, paid in Euros a whopping 29,47 (exchange rate 1.40)
Tell me what exchange rate do you get when you pay with pound notes in any €land shop???
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
No I am askng questions, like 95.% of Brits Gib is of no interest and we know little and have little interest in its affairs..
Apply that to the UK parliament or any other instittution.

However if the question was asked about X factor or some similar crap then the interested figures would be rather high.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:51 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by EMR
No I am askng questions, like 95.% of Brits Gib is of no interest and we know little and have little interest in its affairs.
The last time it came to my attention was a few years ago when two friends who are in the army were posted there for a short time. To say that they were bored out of their minds would be putting it mildly.

£1.32 x E1.13/£1 = E1.49. The better the rate the cheaper in Spain fuel is and obviously the opposite would apply.
UK fuel is going up as the £ has taken a real hit against the dollar.
So what you are doing is making pronouncements about what should happen to 30,000 Gibraltarians against their very firm will and international law and binding treaty when you admit you 'know little and have little interest in its affairs'. That is frankly bizarre.

I'm not being unkind or anything but you really should do some finding out. And I don't mean asking questions on here, you have been given answers and you're not listening.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tell me what exchange rate do you get when you pay with pound notes in any €land shop???
I hate to think ! However apart from Calais or other channel ports the situation would be somewhat different !
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Specsavers

Photos taken today
Hi Fred,
Is that the petrol station on the Left as you come into the town from the Airport? I thought that there were only 4 prices up, However driving past, the Euro signs were not evident, I had other probs with the car starting to overheat.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hate to think ! However apart from Calais or other channel ports the situation would be somewhat different !
Why you would compare Gib with a ferry port I have no idea, Algeciras would fit that bill.

Hi Fred,
Is that the petrol station on the Left as you come into the town from the Airport? I thought that there were only 4 prices up, However driving past, the Euro signs were not evident, I had other probs with the car starting to overheat.
Yes.

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Outrageous. Import duty on diesel raised by 6.5p per litre!
It will depend on whether the Spanish suppliers decide to swallow all or some of the increase.
The two quotes above are from a thread about Gib's recent budget.

The tax on diesel went up by 6.5 p per litre.

It was £1.035 before the budget, after two days I saw one sign at £1.10 and the following day it was down as now to £1.065. In other words the suppliers ( Spanish ) had done what I predicted, swallowed some of the increase in order to maintain sales volume.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Why you would compare Gib with a ferry port I have no idea, Algeciras would fit that bill.

Yes.

The two quotes above are from a thread about Gib's recent budget.

The tax on diesel went up by 6.5 p per litre.

It was £1.035 before the budget, after two days I saw one sign at £1.10 and the following day it was down as now to £1.065. In other words the suppliers ( Spanish ) had done what I predicted, swallowed some of the increase in order to maintain sales volume.
Because at Calais, Le havre etc. there are lots!!! of Uk tourist with Pounds in their pockets so many shops and petrol stations accept Pounds at good rates. Algeciras would probably be difficult with Pounds,,, Dirhams OK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.