Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Guadiana Market (Esuri shop)

Guadiana Market (Esuri shop)

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:38 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guadiana Market (Esuri shop)

What a RIP OFF! Went to friends bbq on Esuri, had to go for some extra beers & bread. The guy is charging over €1 for 1 can of beer (to compare: regular supermarket 44 cents, at a regular late night shop 60 cents!) and € 0,95 for a stick of bread (Media barra). No way in hell I´m going back there!!!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:57 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guadiana Market (Esuri shop)

Hi
We are still very jealous that you can have a BBQ !!!
We live in the South of France (not the expensive bit) and are stuck with either very strong mistral wind or rain ...
At the moment its raining, about 10 degrees, this afternoon strong wind and dry. Hope to move in your direction but have to sell the house first. Very difficult not getting depressed here at the moment. Believe it or not but reading this forum often cheers me up. We WILL get there though !!!
Meantime, enjoy yourselves over there !
Annetje
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jur
What a RIP OFF! Went to friends bbq on Esuri, had to go for some extra beers & bread. The guy is charging over €1 for 1 can of beer (to compare: regular supermarket 44 cents, at a regular late night shop 60 cents!) and € 0,95 for a stick of bread (Media barra). No way in hell I´m going back there!!!
Expensive? Yes. But I am prepared to pay a bit over the odds for the convenience. I take the (longer term) view that unless ventures such as this are supported, then there wil be no other services provided. If the little shop can make a go of it, then we might start to see a bar or similar.

Steve

Last edited by Steve and Pat; Apr 4th 2010 at 10:57 am.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:56 am
Jur

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
Expensive? Yes. But I am prepared to pay a bit over the odds for the convenience. I take the (longer term) view that unless ventures such as this are supported, then there wil be no other services provided. If the little shop can make a go of it, then we might start to a bar or similar.

Steve
Sure, "a bit" is fine to me as well, but they´re charging way over the top!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jur
Sure, "a bit" is fine to me as well, but they´re charging way over the top!
Can see your point of view; but everything is relative. For now (while Esuri is so devoid of alternatives) I'm prepared to give him a bit of slack.

Steve
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
Can see your point of view; but everything is relative. For now (while Esuri is so devoid of alternatives) I'm prepared to give him a bit of slack.

Steve
I agree with you - I usually nip up there to get a fresh barra in the morinings -he wasn't doing the fresh croissants - and the odd other things we run short of. But he is expensive so I wouldn't dream of doing a decent shop - he might even sell more if his prices were reasonable. However, I notice he now has a Brit shelf (although no marmite!)
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant futurematt begley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I agree with you - I usually nip up there to get a fresh barra in the morinings -he wasn't doing the fresh croissants - and the odd other things we run short of. But he is expensive so I wouldn't dream of doing a decent shop - he might even sell more if his prices were reasonable. However, I notice he now has a Brit shelf (although no marmite!)
I used the shop once to buy beer 2 years again....never again.

the thing is that the shop keeper has an extremely limited market for 10 months of the year and makes nothing until July & Aug.

However, come July and August we buy very little there (and our house is a 2 minute walk) due to the high prices. If his prices were 'fair' perhaps we would buy all our beer and wine there (and we do neck a lot) + the kids goodies (sweets/ice cream etc) are just so expensive there.

Because of the knowledge of extortionate pricing we simply avoid the small shop....unless it is for a barra in the morning - and there is no way a shop keeper can sustain enough income/turnover/profit to survive by selling bread.

I suspect folk make the 'mistake' of trying it once and just find the open wallet surgery just too painful to endure twice?

So it looks like Mercadona will get the benefit of the majority of our hard earned again. Shame - we would use it for whatver we could if it wasn't 100% more expensive than the 10 minute drive into town.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by matt begley
I used the shop once to buy beer 2 years again....never again.

the thing is that the shop keeper has an extremely limited market for 10 months of the year and makes nothing until July & Aug.

However, come July and August we buy very little there (and our house is a 2 minute walk) due to the high prices. If his prices were 'fair' perhaps we would buy all our beer and wine there (and we do neck a lot) + the kids goodies (sweets/ice cream etc) are just so expensive there.

Because of the knowledge of extortionate pricing we simply avoid the small shop....unless it is for a barra in the morning - and there is no way a shop keeper can sustain enough income/turnover/profit to survive by selling bread.

I suspect folk make the 'mistake' of trying it once and just find the open wallet surgery just too painful to endure twice?

So it looks like Mercadona will get the benefit of the majority of our hard earned again. Shame - we would use it for whatver we could if it wasn't 100% more expensive than the 10 minute drive into town.
Have any supermarkets in Ayamonte started to do online shopping yet?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:12 am
Jur

Originally Posted by olivia
Have any supermarkets in Ayamonte started to do online shopping yet?
Why do you have to do your shopping on-line? (www.mercadona.es)

A supermarket like Supersol (they have some British Products as well) will do free delivery to your house if you spend over a certain amount. I think € 35, but you have to shop at the shop.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jur
Why do you have to do your shopping on-line? (www.mercadona.es)

A supermarket like Supersol (they have some British Products as well) will do free delivery to your house if you spend over a certain amount. I think € 35, but you have to shop at the shop.
Not me! but for those on Esuri an online order would be good wouldn't it?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:54 am
Jur

O sorry, yes it´s a good site from Mercadona and even comes in English.

I would like to add that I´m not connected commercially to Mercadona and hope that you are not connected to the Mercadona as well, because all this secret advertising for Mercadona gets on my nerves ! Do you shop at Mercadona as well?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jur
O sorry, yes it´s a good site from Mercadona and even comes in English.

I would like to add that I´m not connected commercially to Mercadona and hope that you are not connected to the Mercadona as well, because all this secret advertising for Mercadona gets on my nerves ! Do you shop at Mercadona as well?
When we are there. yes we shop at Mercadona for easy parking and we also like Sol. Our Daughter however likes Dia. I have to agree with her that the Fruit & Veg is nicer than Mercadona and for the heavy and bulky stuff you can usually park right outside the door. Eroski however! it is the underground car park that puts me off shopping there. Never been good at hill starts!!
I can usually get all the things I need in the Spanish products and I like to improvise rather than pay over the top for imported English brands.
I am struggling a bit with cornflour for my sauces etc. The Spanish one I have doesn't just perform quite like any I use in the U.K. My husband has to have a Gluten Free diet and finds the selection and labeling in Spain better than the U.K. and NO I am not a shareholder plugging any Supermarket!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Why whats the point. We have such a selection of shops to choose from both in Portugal and Spain it makes for an interesting outing. Regards Bryony
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Guadiana Market (Esuri shop)

In the dark wet days of winter it has been great to see the how the shop has engendered a community spirit with a couple of tables inside and a nice group of people enjoying a pint which does not come too expensive at €2 for a full litre bottle and a chair and table and free wifi. Don't knock it he has survived the winter which the first guy did not. He not only has his lease to pay but the greedy developer also demanded a % of the profits (8% I think) We don't buy a lot there but we do go in for bread and pasties and emergancy fodder.

Come summer when the evenings are lighter and warmer it has the best view on Esuri from the terrace and the beer will still be €2 a litre straight from the fridge the wfi will still be free and the company is good pop round and support us we are Esurians not just golf clubbers or Jags cafe crowd we need the diversity!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Why whats the point. We have such a selection of shops to choose from both in Portugal and Spain it makes for an interesting outing. Regards Bryony
Well I guess so if you are retired and short of something to do with your time!!! I would hardly call supermarket shopping an interesting outing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.