Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Growing Rhubarb/Gooseberries in Spain

Growing Rhubarb/Gooseberries in Spain

Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Growing Rhubarb/Gooseberries in Spain

I am wanting to start to grow some fruit in part of my garden.
Can any one tell me if it is possible to grow Rhubarb and Gooseberries in Spain.
If so, is it easy or difficult

Regards
Pauline
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing Rhubarb/Gooseberries in Spain

Originally Posted by polly.walker
I am wanting to start to grow some fruit in part of my garden.
Can any one tell me if it is possible to grow Rhubarb and Gooseberries in Spain.
If so, is it easy or difficult

Regards
Pauline
Depends on where in Spain you are, in the north should be simple for both, in the south I supect more difficult with the lack of water..
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you.

I live in Benissa in the Alicante region by the coast.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We live a bit further south and inland from you. Last September we planted a half dozen gooseberries along our fenceline. Hoping that if they take it will help be a deterrent for people cutting holes in the fence!

Anyway they were on the irrigation system until November getting water every two days. We won't know if they have survived until we go out again in March and to be honest we will only know for sure this time next year, after they have had a proper summer on them.

We even had a pine tree we planted two years ago die this winter, seems we may have provided it with too much water! so planting anything really is an adventure in horticulture.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

angie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really nice

hiya,
my daughter brought me a rhubarb root over from UK and so far its doing OK in a large pot.
i've had it for about 3 years now and this year im going to move it to an old bath to give it a chance to get bigger.
im not so sure it would survive in the garden, but good luck anyway.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to all.

Angie , I will certainly try the rhubarb in container rather than in the garden What type of compost did you use
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

angie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really nice

just ordinary compost, nothing special, the cheapest!! ha ha, but i did mix some earth in with it as compost on its own would dry out too quickly in the summer temperatures, and i soaked it every evening. oh and kept it in the shade of a big tree.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I have nurtured the indiginous plants in my garden, just trimmed & shaped them. Anyway, they are so deep rooted & hardy that they survive anything, even strimming back to roots, they just grow back.

So no watering or feeding, just a monthly hair cut.

Chap who owned it before me planted pine trees & with no water they have dug in so deep they are doing v well. My other trees have self seeded & bred.

Total spend in 8 years on my 1600m plot = 0!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:50 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Tried rhubarb, but no luck, ditto with jostaberries, blueberries and redcurrants. Passionflowers did fine, but are too aggressive and too easily frost damaged.

Strawberries seem good, but raspberries not worth it. Loganberries and blackberries very good.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone.

My fruit garden is going to expand this year with Rhubarb, Loganberries, Blackberries and Strawberries.

Any further fruity suggestions welcome Edible that is

Thanks again

Polly
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
We live a bit further south and inland from you. Last September we planted a half dozen gooseberries along our fenceline. Hoping that if they take it will help be a deterrent for people cutting holes in the fence!

Anyway they were on the irrigation system until November getting water every two days. We won't know if they have survived until we go out again in March and to be honest we will only know for sure this time next year, after they have had a proper summer on them.

We even had a pine tree we planted two years ago die this winter, seems we may have provided it with too much water!
so planting anything really is an adventure in horticulture.

Never a truer phrase posted when it comes to gardening in Spain!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

is there anywhere u can buy rhubarb seeds? or like canned or frozen? I am in the Valencia region. I do not have a green thumb whatsoever so I am not much for trying to grow it myself.
thanks.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:12 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
is there anywhere u can buy rhubarb seeds? or like canned or frozen? I am in the Valencia region. I do not have a green thumb whatsoever so I am not much for trying to grow it myself.
thanks.
Not canned or frozen, no, I thing you'd find the seeds would be killed. It's possible that you can buy seeds, but I'd suggest that you buy a root. That way you know what you are getting. I've never seen rhubarb sold as seeds, but I have seen it sold as roots.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:38 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You can get seeds.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit...erpetual/831TM

The climate in Spain is really not right for growing it though as it doesn't like temperatures much over 30c.

I did try the seeds but they didn't make it through the summer. You might have a better chance with an established crown but again, it won't like the temperatures.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:14 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
You can get seeds.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit...erpetual/831TM

The climate in Spain is really not right for growing it though as it doesn't like temperatures much over 30c.

I did try the seeds but they didn't make it through the summer. You might have a better chance with an established crown but again, it won't like the temperatures.
That was my experience here to a T.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.