Reload this Page >

Growing Grapes for Wine

Growing Grapes for Wine

Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Katee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Growing Grapes for Wine

Hi,

I am near Ayamonte and I wondered if anyone had any experience in growing grapes to make their own wine - I'm a total novice but, want a new hobby and challenge. Any ideas, tips, recommendations on books would be great!!

Muchas gracias!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing Grapes for Wine

Nice idea
Have no idea, but will be interested to read the thread as it progresses
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:23 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Living in a wine-growing region, I have to admit that I hardly know anything about viniculture. But that is not to say I have not leant anything, so here is what I do know.
If you start from starch, i.e. purchase new plants, the first grapes will not be good enough to harvest for a couple of years.
Work is not so easy, you will need to spray the vines quite often to stop the mildew, and here they use sulphates.
You have to trip back a lot of the growth so that the grapes get the sun. The vats and the bottles you use have to be very clean to keep the wine. If you use vats then it seems every few months they have to change the wine from one to another so that it does not get ruined.
Around here you can purchase a good table wine for little money, especially when compared with the amount of work involved. But at the same time you can get a lot of satisfaction form making your own.
Around here the valleys are steep and this makes for a lot of back braking work. I know I sound lazy!!
Personally I would start talking to some of your neighbours who have bodegas.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I have a grape vine growing in my garden....but I haven't even had one grape from it yet..