British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Great book for gardeners! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/great-book-gardeners-424083/)

Compost Mentis Feb 4th 2007 11:52 am

Great book for gardeners!

Thanks very much, Steve in Pago, I have been reading the book you recommended, 'Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain' and what a jewel it is. Including a dictionary at the back, so I can learn the vocab in advance. It's just what I need. Thanks again. :D

EsuriJohn Feb 4th 2007 12:24 pm

Re: Great book for gardeners!

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather (Post 4362463)
Thanks very much, Steve in Pago, I have been reading the book you recommended, 'Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain' and what a jewel it is. Including a dictionary at the back, so I can learn the vocab in advance. It's just what I need. Thanks again. :D

Hi Brenda,

Have you had a look at "Your Garden in Spain" by Clodagh and Dick Hansombe they write columns in a couple of English/Spanish papers and also on a couple of websites. I met them at a London Spanish exhibition and they seemed very nice people so I bought the book in anticipation of the move and it seems good for a bloke with no green fingers.

Regards, :thumbup:

John.
</IMG></IMG>

Compost Mentis Feb 4th 2007 2:15 pm

Hi John,

They are the authors of the book that I mentioned. Sounds like you are having some success with yours. I shall be doing most of my veg growing on my roof terrace, so was very interested in ideas re using limited spaces,and water conservation. Also interested that they mentioned planting according to the phases of the moon. Apparently it is all to do with the effect that the moon has on bodies of water. Makes sense I think. Just have never had the time to test it out. :)

EsuriJohn Feb 4th 2007 2:43 pm

Hi Brenda,

Not built the villa yet but have appointed my sister as head gardener and she can make stuff grow anywhere but her experience is in wet Wales so I thought she would need guidance for a dryer climate.

Regards, ;)

John.

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather (Post 4362677)
Hi John,

They are the authors of the book that I mentioned. Sounds like you are having some success with yours. I shall be doing most of my veg growing on my roof terrace, so was very interested in ideas re using limited spaces,and water conservation. Also interested that they mentioned planting according to the phases of the moon. Apparently it is all to do with the effect that the moon has on bodies of water. Makes sense I think. Just have never had the time to test it out. :)

</IMG></IMG>

steve in pago Feb 4th 2007 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather (Post 4362463)

no problem glad to help:thumbup: