Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gordon Brown, Time too leave.

Gordon Brown, Time too leave.

Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gordon Brown, Time too leave.

Originally Posted by HBG
I don’t mind flogging a dead horse, but I saw on the news this morning that two of the European countries still in recession, Spain and the UK, both had a drop in GDP of 0.3 percent in the third quarter.

I wanted to shout at the telly, ‘how dare you compare us with Spain’, but just remembered where I was in time.

That’s the truth of it, the UK is just as much in trouble as Spain, it may be hard to swallow for the people still reminiscing about empire and all that nonsense, but those economic figures don’t lie.

I don’t mind the UK being compared to Spain, as long as they don’t start comparing us with Latvia, I would get really angry then.
So far this week Lloyds have announced 700 jobs losses at Aylesbury (just a few miles from me ), the bookstore Borders has gone bust, BMI have announced 600 job losses, and councils up and down the country have started announcing 8% council tax rises coupled with cuts. Add in the fact the government will have to bring in 10% cuts next year (whichever party wins) and you're looking at a potential collapse. Still, Gordon's spent how many 100 billion on propping up the banks, so at least their bosses get their bonuses.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:36 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

To elaborate on Brown. We had ten years of being told that our economy was better than anyone else’s in Europe and got brainwashed into believing it. I remember watching some budget speeches and the clown saying, “I commend this budget to the house.” To be cheered by all and sundry.

I don’t know who the Spanish chancellor was over the years, but whoever it was, he achieved the same result as Brown, a recession with 0.3 percent deficit announced for the last quarter today.

It’s the brainwashing that gets to me, because it happened to me. I believed it. We sleepwalked into the Iraq war, our boys are being decimated in Afghanistan, our town centres are spew-covered war zones at weekends, half the country’s on the dole, single mothers are spewing out babies to different fathers, and you can’t walk more than a few yards in the towns without passing a Mosque.

I’m not racist, far from it, but what really annoyed me was when one of my local pubs in London was turned into a Mosque. They forgot to tell me, and when I got there I wondered why they asked me to take my shoes off when all I wanted was a pint of lager and a packet of crisps.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:40 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
To elaborate on Brown. We had ten years of being told that our economy was better than anyone else’s in Europe and got brainwashed into believing it. I remember watching some budget speeches and the clown saying, “I commend this budget to the house.” To be cheered by all and sundry.

I don’t know who the Spanish chancellor was over the years, but whoever it was, he achieved the same result as Brown, a recession with 0.3 percent deficit announced for the last quarter today.

It’s the brainwashing that gets to me, because it happened to me. I believed it. We sleepwalked into the Iraq war, our boys are being decimated in Afghanistan, our town centres are spew-covered war zones at weekends, half the country’s on the dole, single mothers are spewing out babies to different fathers, and you can’t walk more than a few yards in the towns without passing a Mosque.

I’m not racist, far from it, but what really annoyed me was when one of my local pubs in London was turned into a Mosque. They forgot to tell me, and when I got there I wondered why they asked me to take my shoes off when all I wanted was a pint of lager and a packet of crisps.
you are talking about the old days, when folks spoke about Mecca, they meant a Bingo Hall..........
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

A & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Chulo is just another person trapped in a belief system. It would not matter what GB did. If he fed the 5 thousand, chulo and his ilk would complain that he had casued litter with all the bread crumbs.

For these people, this letter from GB was a great opportunity to throw dirt, but it appears that a lot of the electorate are disgusted by all the cheap politicking. As for the Sun then getting her name wrong, laugh? Boy, did I laugh. Hypocrisy of the highest order.

So Brown is a dour, crumpled Scot with apparantly little ability to spin? I thought that after His Tonyness and the Mandelson spinworm, we were all sick of spin and wanted something a bit more real.

I'll vote for Brown over that smarmy Etonian and his chums any day.
Yes, sadly, the next UK election probably will be fought on the basis of class, as Labour have run out of any alternative arguments. How depressing. But it's perhaps worth remembering that:

- a "smarmy" Harrovian defeated the Nazis
- a "smarmy" Wykehamist (Winchester College) was one of the most left-wing Chancellors of the Exchequer, who controlled the economy far more tightly than our current PM (Stafford Cripps)
- a "smarmy" Fettesian was the only Labour leader to win 3 general elections (Anthony Lynton Blair)
- the most right-wing Conservative PM in history (arguably) went to state school (M.H. Thatcher)

So who says the class / private versus public school issue is straightforward?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:12 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

If the next election is decided on the basis of most Smarminess then its GB by a landslide,......with the other GB continuing to rapidly disappear down the pan...
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:59 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

We didn't walk into the Iraq war. We were dragged into it, lied to by Blair and Bush, and the Tories were more than happy to go along without doing their job, which would have been to ask for just a bit of proof. Only Chas Kennedy got it right.

We despised the spin we had under Blair, and now we despise Brown because he is the least spun man on the planet.

I remember that ***** Lamont putting the mortgage rate up 50% THAT'S FIFTY, I REPEAT FIFTY PERCENT in a single day, so don't kid me we would have been any better off had the Tories been in control for the last 10 years. In fact, given that they were the cretins who took the brakes off the banks and bankers in the first place, (and which Labour went along with when they came in) I reckon we would be worse off today.

You all are hurting so it must be the man at the top who is wrong. If the Tories were in you'd all be screaming that the Eton ponce was thrown out.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are mistaken if you think that the Conservatives would have handled the situations any better than Gordon Brown's Labour. No matter what the Cons say, they would have had the same problems, and maybe handled them slightly differently, but with the same results

I'm thinking that when the election comes, people may have long memories.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bamba9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
If the next election is decided on the basis of most Smarminess then its GB by a landslide,......with the other GB continuing to rapidly disappear down the pan...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ting-Tory.html

Perhaps if you have time, read this and its my belief that the election results will come from these voters!!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Beware of what you wish for.

Gobbo has run a STRUCTURAL deficit for TEN YEARS. The gilt buyers are already close to strike. We are one a hairsbreadth away from Greece which is paying nearly 7 percent to finance its deficit. I have just come from a meeting in the Treasury where they are talking of current expenditure cuts of THIRTY percent over the next three years. And FIFTY percent in capital expenditure.

Do you really not get it? It was not real. It was all borrowed money - borrowed from our children and grandchildren and now is pay back time. E are in for a miserable ten years.

Vote for the tw*t by all means but absolutely do not complain when the pound goes down the toilet, inflation (already rampant again) roars and interest (and therefore mortgage) rates soar.

Wait and see the unemployment figures then

Would the Conservatives have done better? Who knows. But my dog could not have done worse than this bunch of cretins.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Beware of what you wish for.

Gobbo has run a STRUCTURAL deficit for TEN YEARS. The gilt buyers are already close to strike. We are one a hairsbreadth away from Greece which is paying nearly 7 percent to finance its deficit. I have just come from a meeting in the Treasury where they are talking of current expenditure cuts of THIRTY percent over the next three years. And FIFTY percent in capital expenditure.

Do you really not get it? It was not real. It was all borrowed money - borrowed from our children and grandchildren and now is pay back time. E are in for a miserable ten years.

Vote for the tw*t by all means but absolutely do not complain when the pound goes down the toilet, inflation (already rampant again) roars and interest (and therefore mortgage) rates soar.

Wait and see the unemployment figures then

Would the Conservatives have done better? Who knows. But my dog could not have done worse than this bunch of cretins.
Well maybe, the point I was making is that they are all as bad as each other. What your dog would have done doesnt come into it, unless he is standing for Parliament this year
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:35 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’m purely selfish, if Brown gets in again, the pound that I live on will stay at a low level.

If it’s a hung parliament, the pound will fall.

If Cameron gets in, the pound will rise but my grandchildren in the UK will suffer.

I love my grandchildren.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:44 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I for one hope Labour get in for another term, they haven't finished shafting us up the rectum and I am really keen to find out how much they can screw up and how far they can push an already over taxed population before they really become bitter, twisted and nasty to one another.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

When only 40% of the population (if that many) take enough interest to bother to vote the country gets the leadership it deserves.
Maybe we should introduce compulsory voting. I think they do that in Australia.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:05 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raddickle
When only 40% of the population (if that many) take enough interest to bother to vote the country gets the leadership it deserves.
That would make it a really democratic vote then ;-))
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:45 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raddickle
That's fine provided...

a) they have a box on the form to tick that says 'I hate you all'

and b) that too is tallied so that the population have a say so we can see how many of us are really dissatisfied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.