British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Google Street View (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/google-street-view-727827/)

Cptnemo Aug 8th 2011 8:20 am

Google Street View

Google Street view is now available for CE. Google have not updated the satellite view and looking at the state of some of the developments, even the street view seems to have been filmed some time ago.

Worse of all they have picked an cloudy and miserable day ! but at least we are on the map !

EsuriJohn Aug 9th 2011 6:29 am

Re: Google Street View

Originally Posted by Cptnemo (Post 9544261)
Google Street view is now available for CE. Google have not updated the satellite view and looking at the state of some of the developments, even the street view seems to have been filmed some time ago.

Worse of all they have picked an cloudy and miserable day ! but at least we are on the map !

Yes but the images are vg quality.

Just looked at our place and the reed fence was still there before the wind took it and we had not planted the roses and the skips were still where the tent used to be all in all about 18mths-2yrs old. We were just coming back up from Ayamonte and saw the camera car just passing the shop. Very annoying they dont update the sat images they are available if you look on the cadastral site.

EsuriJohn Aug 14th 2011 9:33 am

Just found a more up to date set of ariel photos but it is scary big brother.

The site is:-

http://www.maps.data-spain.com/cadastral/

this mapping based I think on google is far more up to date when you go to a large scale say one or two steps from the highest on the sigpac tab. Most of the new builds are there in some detail. This is scary because it means that the "authorities" know more than google about where we are and what we are doing. This information is used to update the charging system for IBI.

johnnyone Aug 14th 2011 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9558315)

this mapping based I think on google is far more up to date when you go to a large scale say one or two steps from the highest on the sigpac tab. Most of the new builds are there in some detail. This is scary because it means that the "authorities" know more than google about where we are and what we are doing. This information is used to update the charging system for IBI.

What a great link. Found my place and details with no trouble. I could see that it could cause problems if unauthorised works have been carried out.

MikeJ Aug 15th 2011 7:54 am

When you think about it it shoudn't be scary. The authorities always did have this info but it was usually updated manually and could be inaccurate and you didn't know what they knew (that's the Big Brother scenario). Now at least you know what the authorities know and can correct it if it's wrong. I'm a great beleiver in more transparency that you get through the net and don't really understand why people make such a big fuss about Google street view.

Mitzyboy Aug 15th 2011 8:17 am

Using that, it's at least 2 years old in our area as there is mountainside where houses were actually built that long ago

Domino Aug 15th 2011 8:42 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9546491)
Yes but the images are vg quality.

Just looked at our place and the reed fence was still there before the wind took it and we had not planted the roses and the skips were still where the tent used to be all in all about 18mths-2yrs old. We were just coming back up from Ayamonte and saw the camera car just passing the shop. Very annoying they dont update the sat images they are available if you look on the cadastral site.

is this based on the one used by the EU who had to find a way of confirming that IIRC Greece had suddenly got 200% increase in olive production based on the acreage of land under trees. Turned out that people had been claiming subsidies for cliffs and ravines that had trouble supporting a weed letalone olive trees.

anothe scam sorted but in the meantime we end up with the benefits of being able to look at the world around us
rgds

EsuriJohn Aug 15th 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by johnnyone (Post 9558763)
What a great link. Found my place and details with no trouble. I could see that it could cause problems if unauthorised works have been carried out.

Thats why they do it overflights are getting more frequent with the distinct intention of finding illegal builds and activity. It does of course give them the opportunity to Tax people for things that they find and regularise.

EsuriJohn Aug 15th 2011 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9560065)
is this based on the one used by the EU who had to find a way of confirming that IIRC Greece had suddenly got 200% increase in olive production based on the acreage of land under trees. Turned out that people had been claiming subsidies for cliffs and ravines that had trouble supporting a weed letalone olive trees.

anothe scam sorted but in the meantime we end up with the benefits of being able to look at the world around us
rgds

The trouble with that is that it is not just you the GC and the Hacienda who look at these images the robbers muggers and general low lifes who probably have better computer skills than me also look and use, just as the armed forces of nation states do, for targeting purposes.How do you get your own photographs removed? It is possible in UK since people threatened court action but I don't know about Spain. I certainly want mine removed from Google.

Fred James Aug 15th 2011 9:19 am

I looked at our house on the site you gave.

The Sigpac pictures are more recent than the Google pictures (about 12 months) but the quality is far less than the Google one.

It really depends on where you are as to how good the Google resolution is.

Domino Aug 15th 2011 9:24 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9560098)
The trouble with that is that it is not just you the GC and the Hacienda who look at these images the robbers muggers and general low lifes who probably have better computer skills than me also look and use, just as the armed forces of nation states do, for targeting purposes.How do you get your own photographs removed? It is possible in UK since people threatened court action but I don't know about Spain. I certainly want mine removed from Google.

thought Google agreed that they would erase all faces, car registrations, even vanside adverts irrespective of country.
or do you mean removing your property?

looking for a rental property and streetwalked the address, it would only let us look at 2 houses one side and two houses the other, the one we were looking to rent was only visible from very acute angles and even the overhead was blurred. unlikely to be the home of the Defence Minister, so something had been "tweaked" there.

have you asked them the question ? ?

Domino Aug 15th 2011 9:34 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9560098)

agree about the security aspect of these modern things we tell all our friends and relatives about and copy into our genealogy files

household security is only as good as the system(s) you have in place but more importantly use. (many don't bother when nipping round the corner to buy a bottle of milk)

most systems will be discrete enough for anyone not to know what you have fitted unless you are really overt about the size of the bell box, blatant cctv etc etc. if in real worry areas then make sure you have an alternative to the telephone landline, that might get cut.

however, all those using GPS in any form walking, driving etc will be using technology that has been up there since the 1960's, installed to allow nuclear deterrent submarines to know exactly where they are and to input that into missile control systems.
what will happen when Europa gets its own over budget and ever so late GPS, Galileo ?
what else will be up there with the gps ?

Fredbargate Aug 15th 2011 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9560157)
unlikely to be the home of the Defence Minister, so something had been "tweaked" there.

If you go to the military base at Moron, on Goole Earth it is blanked out. On Google maps it gets blanked when you zoom in. There are many places in Spain like this

37° 9'41.05"N 5°36'13.25"W

Domino Aug 15th 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 9560188)
If you go to the military base at Moron, on Goole Earth it is blanked out. On Google maps it gets blanked when you zoom in. There are many places in Spain like this

37° 9'41.05"N 5°36'13.25"W

yes, many place around the world are "tweaked"
have tried looking down on some of the places i visited in the navy and find they suddenly get blurred

conversely looking down on some of the American historical fleet locations you can get some very good shots.

EsuriJohn Aug 15th 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9560157)
thought Google agreed that they would erase all faces, car registrations, even vanside adverts irrespective of country.
or do you mean removing your property?

looking for a rental property and streetwalked the address, it would only let us look at 2 houses one side and two houses the other, the one we were looking to rent was only visible from very acute angles and even the overhead was blurred. unlikely to be the home of the Defence Minister, so something had been "tweaked" there.

have you asked them the question ? ?

No but how do you do that anyway. I am specifically refering to the streetview photos not the Sat photo's indeed I would want to see them updated for the sake of the whole Urbanisation which is proud of our two golf courses which look like the moon on google earth and yet have recently sucessfully hosted Spanish PGA tournamants. This is not good for house sales, holiday rentals and the general wellbeing of the area.