Goodbye Sky TV

Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:23 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye Sky TV

The guy is right.

We still receive everything on satellite with strong signal. HD and all.

I will re-iterate that we also have all the holy internet tv so many are trying to sell you on the presumption of "goodbye sky tv". No, not from some unnecessary subscription service, but using regular old smart tvs and widely available inexpensive internet tv boxes, which work very well, but we use only occasionally for playing downloaded movies.

With the benefit of have both to compare, I can confidently say that considering ease of use, simplicity, reliability, and quality, satellite is quite obviously still far better than receiving TV over broadband. If you can get sat kit sufficient to receive UK tv, you'll be much happier with it. In our neighbourhood, the kit isn't so expensive either.

On the other hand, all these scare tactics by those with a vested interest in selling you what you can otherwise have for nil might just flood the market with perfectly good used satellite kit for peanuts.

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 9th 2014 at 8:44 am.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where theres a WILL there is SES way

Originally Posted by Saxy
If you have 10Mb and buffering, your computer simply isn't up to it!
What computer, it buffers on the TV ! TV Not up to it I guess ?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I always felt - as an ex Telecom Engineer - that moving from satellite back to copper (or fibre if you are really lucky) was a retrograde step. With the best will in the world a physical tube will have bandwidth limitations, particularly if you have to share it with half of Madrid! Satellite has no such restrictions and although expensive in set up costs should always perform better in terms of quality. For the user like me who doesn't have a fixed ground line and wouldn't want to pay 12 months for something I might use for 3 months then it's a no-brainer.
IMHO - and this is borne out in spades by the posts on this and other similar threads - is that the rush back to IPTV is about controlling the service delivery in order to extract even more money fron the poor old consumer - who ends up with a lower quality poduct at a much higher cost.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Nowadays, computers are designed for different purposes. There is the Home computer for general use, the business computer for office work, and the Games computer which is designed to handle high speed graphics, making it eminently suitable for internet TV use .
You cannot expect the poor old "workhorse" home computer (which most people have), or the business computer, to handle the high speed graphics of modern games, or internet TV.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:54 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Nowadays, computers are designed for different purposes. There is the Home computer for general use, the business computer for office work, and the Games computer which is designed to handle high speed graphics, making it eminently suitable for internet TV use .
You cannot expect the poor old "workhorse" home computer (which most people have), or the business computer, to handle the high speed graphics of modern games, or internet TV.
No doubt you're right.

But you CAN expect a satellite receiver to receive satellite TV. No flaming hoops, no proxy servers, no boot-up, no rebooting the router, no freeze-ups in the middle of a programme.... Just turn it on and watch tv with best possible quality. At my age, I find that proposition very attractive.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
No doubt you're right.

But you CAN expect a satellite receiver to receive satellite TV. No flaming hoops, no proxy servers, no boot-up, no rebooting the router, no freeze-ups in the middle of a programme.... Just turn it on and watch tv with best possible quality. At my age, I find that proposition very attractive.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt you're right.

Me too, please hurry up and get the results of the satellite move !
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

No doubt you're right.

Again, the problems you quote are the result of either poor internet speed, or poor equipment! Get the right gear and you won't have problems.
When in Spain, my lounge computer is switched on when I get up and off when I go to bed. The excellent "Astrill runs continually, and programs are selected via "bookmarks", it's quick and easy!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:33 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

There was a article about the impeding changes in last weeks expat newspaper.
Taken from comments and contributions from those in the trade two paras stand out.
1) Summary, Although TV via the internet is possible and can be excellent it is very reliant on your internet speed and the speed of the server used to supply a UK address.
As this can be unreliable a satellite option is always preferable
2) Do nothing now, sign up to nothing until the changes are known expected in late Feb.
The scources quoted are two of the more reputable suppliers not the IPTV providers whose adverts can be found on almost very forum.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Again, the problems you quote are the result of either poor internet speed, or poor equipment! Get the right gear and you won't have problems.
When in Spain, my lounge computer is switched on when I get up and off when I go to bed. The excellent "Astrill runs continually, and programs are selected via "bookmarks", it's quick and easy!
I not accepting that, you can have a 100mb line and still get buffering if the servers are being hammered.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMR
Taken from comments and contributions from those in the trade two paras stand out.
1) Summary, Although TV via the internet is possible and can be excellent it is very reliant on your internet speed and the speed of the server used to supply a UK address.
2) Do nothing now, sign up to nothing until the changes are known expected in late Feb.
The scources quoted are two of the more reputable suppliers not the IPTV providers whose adverts can be found on almost very forum.
Absolutely good advice, especially for those in poor signal areas, but when I lived in RIO PARK (10 minutes inland from EL Campello), a large dish standing in what looked like a concrete gun emplacemnt, really enhanced the appearance of the garden (YUK!). Every tme that a strong wind blew, it required realignment, and when it rained there was a loss of signal. All of which compared to internet TV, was just not acceptable, in fact a complete waste of money!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I not accepting that, you can have a 100mb line and still get buffering if the servers are being hammered.
Not in my experience, or that of my local friends (most of them changed to internet TV when they saw my results) I had 8Mb with Europa, and no problems!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:57 am
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where theres a WILL there is SES way

Originally Posted by andyrich666
What computer, it buffers on the TV ! TV Not up to it I guess ?
so you have an english smart tv connected via a ethernet cable ???
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:03 am
Banned

Again I'm sure you're right.

Unfortunately, internet speed and reliability are outside my sphere of control (and I'd rather not be bothered with doing so), and equipment is wide and varied and can't be relied on to be the "right" one.

In contrast, any €25 satellite receiver just works every time. You can buy a more posh freesat or sky box/subscription if you choose, and it also "just works" everytime (as long as you have a suitable antenna installed) instead of futzing around with technogoggery that in many cases is beyond your control and delivers obviously lower quality anyway

If you can get satellite kit that receives UK tv, it's (still) by far the best solution. Othetwise you're faced with a confusing array of less desirable solutions.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:05 am
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
1) we have sold hundreds of IPTV boxes ...as i say some people watch our low service which pushing it works on 0.5mb THATS HALF and no buffering
what has ´´uk servers´´ and ´´uk adress´´ got to do with it
our servers are in Distrito Telefónica madrid and are fed the 300m underground to the NATIONAL SPANISH FIBRA OPTIC RING . it works 24/7 365
2) true but then its supply/price and demand ...if a man in a large villa want TV today as he is getting €3000 a week rent then he will pay €500 for a box thats €150 today ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.