Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

good place to live in Andalucia for young family?

good place to live in Andalucia for young family?

Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light
Default good place to live in Andalucia for young family?

Hello there

I have written on here before about us leaving Barcelona in search of finally buying a property that is affordable. We have a budget of up to 180,000 euros to buy our family home where we plan to live for a good while, and we simply cannot afford to buy in Catalonia (nor want to if we are honest). I know you will all tell us to rent first but we are not in a position to do that for various reasons, and also want to take advantage of the relatively low prices early next year before they start to go up again. We have a 2 year old son who will have to start school next September (don't want him to really but not much choice). I am a translator and my husband installs aircon. I can work anywhere with an internet connection and in theory could support us for a few months. The basic questions is, if you were to choose anywhere in Andalucia, especially the Malaga area, where would it be? We speak the language (my hubbie is Colombian), and I know Spain like the back of my hand as I used to work in tourism all over the country, so we are looking for a more Spanish-type place that also has some Brits as I do enjoy some links with UK culture and also my parents are considering moving out once we are settled. We are looking for somewhere child friendly basically, with friendly people and reasonable amenities (decent schools, shops, bars, health centre, etc.), and preferably not in the hottest town in Andalucia (I have heard Antequera is lovely but way too hot!!). We would like to be within one hour of the airport (Malaga?), ideally nearer. We are torn between looking at apartments on/near the coast, or town houses in a village. I have pinpointed Velez Malaga and Competa as two, very different, possibilities. Also Villanueva del Rosario as I have seen a property I like there. I have always liked Malaga as there is so much in the area and it has something for everyone. We would ideally love to set up a small b and b as a side business but that would just be a bonus at the moment. We are planning a visit over Christmas so would like to make a shortlist of places to visit and think about. Any positive or negative criticism of any of these places is gratefully received. We want a peaceful life in a friendly place where there are things going on and a good "vibe". Barcelona has got too big, too trendy and too expensive for us (as well as unfriendly, sorry to be so blunt). I am under no illusions about Andalucia being a paradise as I realise it has its problems too, but from what I know of it there is a different pace of life and outlook. Thanks Spain Expats! PS If anyone is selling a place in this area, we may be interested! (nowhere down a small country lane please, with a toddler this may spell insanity having to drive everywhere, we want to get right to the heart of the community where we decide to live)
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:36 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: good place to live in Andalucia for young family?

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
my husband installs aircon....We are looking for somewhere child friendly basically, with friendly people and reasonable amenities (decent schools, shops, bars, health centre, etc.), and preferably not in the hottest town in Andalucia (I have heard Antequera is lovely but way too hot!!).
The hotter the better if your husband installs aircon, surely? (IMHO Antequera is pleasantly hot in the summer months, cooler than up here but hotter than the coast.) Seriously though, I know that many people who live near the coast where the temperatures are more temperate don't bother with aircon...
Re Competa, check previous threads on here...it and its access road/situation have been discussed a few times before.
Velez Malaga is a very nice place, still Spanish enough, good transportation links, close enough to Malaga etc.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: good place to live in Andalucia for young family?

Hello there

I have written on here before about us leaving Barcelona in search of finally buying a property that is affordable. We have a budget of up to 180,000 euros to buy our family home where we plan to live for a good while, and we simply cannot afford to buy in Catalonia (nor want to if we are honest). I know you will all tell us to rent first but we are not in a position to do that for various reasons, and also want to take advantage of the relatively low prices early next year before they start to go up again. We have a 2 year old son who will have to start school next September (don't want him to really but not much choice). I am a translator and my husband installs aircon. I can work anywhere with an internet connection and in theory could support us for a few months. The basic questions is, if you were to choose anywhere in Andalucia, especially the Malaga area, where would it be? We speak the language (my hubbie is Colombian), and I know Spain like the back of my hand as I used to work in tourism all over the country, so we are looking for a more Spanish-type place that also has some Brits as I do enjoy some links with UK culture and also my parents are considering moving out once we are settled. We are looking for somewhere child friendly basically, with friendly people and reasonable amenities (decent schools, shops, bars, health centre, etc.), and preferably not in the hottest town in Andalucia (I have heard Antequera is lovely but way too hot!!). We would like to be within one hour of the airport (Malaga?), ideally nearer. We are torn between looking at apartments on/near the coast, or town houses in a village. I have pinpointed Velez Malaga and Competa as two, very different, possibilities. Also Villanueva del Rosario as I have seen a property I like there. I have always liked Malaga as there is so much in the area and it has something for everyone. We would ideally love to set up a small b and b as a side business but that would just be a bonus at the moment. We are planning a visit over Christmas so would like to make a shortlist of places to visit and think about. Any positive or negative criticism of any of these places is gratefully received. We want a peaceful life in a friendly place where there are things going on and a good "vibe". Barcelona has got too big, too trendy and too expensive for us (as well as unfriendly, sorry to be so blunt). I am under no illusions about Andalucia being a paradise as I realise it has its problems too, but from what I know of it there is a different pace of life and outlook. Thanks Spain Expats! PS If anyone is selling a place in this area, we may be interested! (nowhere down a small country lane please, with a toddler this may spell insanity having to drive everywhere, we want to get right to the heart of the community where we decide to live)
Take a look at Ayamonte €180,000 will get you a three bed town house on Costa Esuri. 45 mins to Faro airport then flights to everywhere in Europe and transit via Madrid for South America.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Take a look at Ayamonte €180,000 will get you a three bed town house on Costa Esuri. 45 mins to Faro airport then flights to everywhere in Europe and transit via Madrid for South America.
I thought Faro had just had a mega cutback on flight destinations?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

We are still quite keen on the Malaga area as I know it and have friends in Granada and Cordoba so prefer to be more on this side. I am interested to see you are in Colmenar fionamw? It definitely appeals (oops, just seen your pm, thanks!). We are planning on coming down to the area at Christmas time, anyone know of good and cheap b and b type accom? Thank you all! If you ever need help in Barcelona let me know and I'll return the favour!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:42 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
will you two kindley play your cards close to your chest.Ive been slagging the area off for ages to keep people away.Once people know how great it is around here they will here in there thousands.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

kayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nice

We are still quite keen on the Malaga area as I know it and have friends in Granada and Cordoba so prefer to be more on this side. I am interested to see you are in Colmenar fionamw? It definitely appeals (oops, just seen your pm, thanks!). We are planning on coming down to the area at Christmas time, anyone know of good and cheap b and b type accom? Thank you all! If you ever need help in Barcelona let me know and I'll return the favour!
I wanted to send you a PM about accommodation but can't work out how to do it!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: good place to live in Andalucia for young family?

Originally Posted by betris
will you two kindley play your cards close to your chest.Ive been slagging the area off for ages to keep people away.Once people know how great it is around here they will here in there thousands.
Looks like I've dropped a bo**ock and got corrie interested in our little bit of paradise!