Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Good news on the tax front

Good news on the tax front

Old Jan 2nd 2023, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good news on the tax front

One for the tax experts to analyse

https://www.heraldo.es/noticias/econ...f-1621580.html

(in Spanish)
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news on the tax front

Yes, an increase in the amount people can earn before they start to pay tax is always good news. What people used to the UK system may not realise, though, is that this doesn't mean the personal allowance for everyone will be €15,000. In the Spanish system there is a low income allowance which is added to the basic personal allowance of €5,550 plus the general allowance for expenses of €2,000 meaning that from this new tax year someone earning below €15k will not pay income tax. That low income allowance tapers away on a sliding scale for those earning between €15 and €21k until on income of €21k or over there are only the basic personal allowances.

Both my husband and I have benefited from this low income allowance for the past few years, but since I started to receive my UK state pension last year I won't receive it in the future so I will be paying a lot more tax.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this only effects those of us who are residents without the NLV as, in theory, they should have incomes exceeding the minimal tax levels. For those of us who work it definitely helps as our incomes are so low.
Just been in uk and to be honest it's a world apart from Spain. I can understand people's anger toward the government with its handouts to ministers for PPE contracts and MPs doing 2 jobs etc but is it really the case that paramedics, junior doctors, train drivers, are unable to feed themselves? That teachers go to food banks? It seems a tad exaggerated to call themselves poor and TBH shameful when you consider the real meaning of poverty. When my son was in the state school in Spain one of his friends parents actually collected stuff from bins as a living!! He would sometimes go to his friends flat( he was young so didn't understand poverty) and say that it was without light and smelt bad. Now that's poverty!!.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
I guess this only effects those of us who are residents without the NLV as, in theory, they should have incomes exceeding the minimal tax levels. For those of us who work it definitely helps as our incomes are so low.
Just been in uk and to be honest it's a world apart from Spain. I can understand people's anger toward the government with its handouts to ministers for PPE contracts and MPs doing 2 jobs etc but is it really the case that paramedics, junior doctors, train drivers, are unable to feed themselves? That teachers go to food banks? It seems a tad exaggerated to call themselves poor and TBH shameful when you consider the real meaning of poverty. When my son was in the state school in Spain one of his friends parents actually collected stuff from bins as a living!! He would sometimes go to his friends flat( he was young so didn't understand poverty) and say that it was without light and smelt bad. Now that's poverty!!.
I guess you would have to look at individual circumstances. What is the lifestyle they maintain what do these people possess property, cars etc. Some claim they can't afford to live yet you see them driving expensive cars living in expensive houses etc. Obviously people are allowed to buy and own whatever they want legally. Problem is there are some who have absolutely nothing and some of these claims of "poverty" take away from those deserving and desperately needing help. Also some will have a short term issue which is very different to someone living in real and absolute poverty with little hope of breaking the cycle. Without knowing individual circumstances it's difficult to know the truth however your comment has some merit in my view.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my UK pension (not that high!) seemed to cause a disproportionate amount of extra tax last year.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
​​Both my husband and I have benefited from this low income allowance for the past few years, but since I started to receive my UK state pension last year I won't receive it in the future so I will be paying a lot more tax.
Lynn thanks for your explanation as it makes what our Gestor said when we submitted our tax last year make more sense. First two years I was here on my own and paid a relatively small amount of tax to Spain on my UK State pension. My other income is from Crown pensions declared to Spain but taxed in the UK. Last year as my wife had joined me full time in Spain we did a joint spanish tax submission my wife has no pension currently but since joining me here we do have a UK property rented out. This again we declare income to Spain but pay tax on in the UK where property is located. Net result was no spanish tax to pay for me we actually got a 35 cent rebate which yes they did pay into the bank. Gestor said when my wife gets state pension then I will start to pay tax again.