Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Good motorbike insurance wanted

Good motorbike insurance wanted

Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good motorbike insurance wanted

Originally Posted by bobd22
Not rode the GS much as not had it that long. I am hoping to ride it down through France etc to Spain next summer. Although it is a large lump of a bike quite light to manouver when moving. Actually less top heavy than my Tiger 955 was having the boxer engine. It is comfy and should be good for long distance touring. I am looking at doing around 230 to 250 mile a day on my summer trip. On the Tiger when I rode it over I was doing 350 mile a day. I find that too much these days being 62. As for final drive I don't mind the shaft, less maintainance than chain but yes something you either like or don't. I have had a few shaft drives over the years an old RT100 and a Kawasaki VN 1500. I also have had a 1200 Sportster Harley with belt drive I found that OK as well. I also have a 44 year old Triumph T100c which these days and compared with the BM feels like a moped, mind sounds nice and puts a smile on your face when riding it.
I know what you mean, I can't do anything like I used to mileage wise , I'm a bit younger at 53 but still notice it, back to the boxer twins, I don't think it's just the shaft drive that's the problem, I have an FJR1300 which is shaft drive, its the lurching at throttle closing and again at opening, I think its the reaction of the opposed twin, what ever it is I can't get on with it, I just find it unnerving, I'm guessing it's something I could adjust to in time but have never done more than 50 miles on a test run.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
I know what you mean, I can't do anything like I used to mileage wise , I'm a bit younger at 53 but still notice it, back to the boxer twins, I don't think it's just the shaft drive that's the problem, I have an FJR1300 which is shaft drive, its the lurching at throttle closing and again at opening, I think its the reaction of the opposed twin, what ever it is I can't get on with it, I just find it unnerving, I'm guessing it's something I could adjust to in time but have never done more than 50 miles on a test run.
I don't find that a problem. They do try and push themselves over if revved when stood still but is down to the boxer design and only if revved high . The telelever forks make a big difference and need to be got used to as literally no fork dive when braking or opposite when accelerating.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 8:57 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I can recommend Linea Directa. I can confirm all communication is in English. They also told me that a certificate of insurance was not required, apparently Guardia do accept your bank receipt as evidence of insurance. When I explained that this would not be acceptable when I was travelling outside Spain and they were happy to supply a green card free of charge. I understand there is now reciprocal arrangements where all(?) EU member states have access to insurance data base, but I would not take the risk of driving without a valid certificate of insurance. PS: One of the reasons insurance is more expensive is that Spanish policies include breakdown assistance.

Thanks for the feedback re the bank receipt. In my case I need the green form as we live right on the Portuguese border, also I am probably more in Portugal than Spain on the bike. I think if a customer (especially an international one) requests the green card - they should just send it without having to have another round or 2 of emails. Hence the 'sour taste'. Also this simple request showed me that I need to have an English service, in case of any problem.

Also re the gestoria - yes I understand that there is a 'small print' issue, especially with insurance companies, but I think I will take the 'risk' and not use a gestoria for this... but good to point it out.

Thanks again for the feedback, links and additional 'bike chat'
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 29th 2015 at 9:08 am.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks for the feedback re the bank receipt. In my case I need the green form as we live right on the Portuguese border, also I am probably more in Portugal than Spain on the bike. I think if a customer (especially an international one) requests the green card - they should just send it without having to have another round or 2 of emails. Hence the 'sour taste'. Also this simple request showed me that I need to have an English service, in case of any problem.

Also re the gestoria - yes I understand that there is a 'small print' issue, especially with insurance companies, but I think I will take the 'risk' and not use a gestoria for this... but good to point it out.

Thanks again for the feedback, links and additional 'bike chat'
Jon
Hi John I was of the understanding that a green card was no longer required in all but a few EU (not Spain or Portugal) countries? The certificate of insurance is supposed to be all that is required. I know with both my UK car and bike insurance on the back of the certificate there is a translation in a multitude of languages, stating that the insurance cover at least meets EU insurance requirements. I don't know if Spanish policies do the same? My insurance for the scooter in Spain I didn't want cross border as only for local use.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 12:38 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John I was of the understanding that a green card was no longer required in all but a few EU (not Spain or Portugal) countries? The certificate of insurance is supposed to be all that is required. I know with both my UK car and bike insurance on the back of the certificate there is a translation in a multitude of languages, stating that the insurance cover at least meets EU insurance requirements. I don't know if Spanish policies do the same? My insurance for the scooter in Spain I didn't want cross border as only for local use.
the point is some do not issue a certificate and say all one needs is a bank statement. Most EU countries including Spain have an insurance database where officer can verify vehicle is insured. This helps to prevent use of fraudulent certificates.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the point is some do not issue a certificate and say all one needs is a bank statement. Most EU countries including Spain have an insurance database where officer can verify vehicle is insured. This helps to prevent use of fraudulent certificates.
I understand the motor insurance database bit I wasn't aware though that many didn't even issue certificates anymore, although most times these days I do just print them from an email link.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 7:12 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the motor insurance database bit I wasn't aware though that many didn't even issue certificates anymore, although most times these days I do just print them from an email link.
I found it all a bit weird that there was no paperwork, except an out of date insurance policy document and a bank receipt to show you had renewed the insurance. What if the conditions change for example?

In Belgium every year they just issue a green policy document that you keep in the glovebox - no hassle and we can drive everywhere. I know Spain has the green docs (as seen on this site, and by the fact that they eventually sent me it, albeit by an email attachment).

I had a feeling that the green doc is available throughout EU countries at least. Certainly UK, Spain and Belgium.

I just prefer to have a valid OK-dated document so that I can travel anywhere and have no hassle if stopped by the police... with us always in Portugal that also adds an extra element of 'hassle-possibility'.. especially as we arent local language speakers.

Happy New Year to all ! See you in 2016 Bob!

Jon
Old Dec 31st 2015, 8:06 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I found it all a bit weird that there was no paperwork,
Me too. Police will access the insurance database and will know if your vehicle is insured before they speak to you, so (in theory!) there is no need to have a certificate. This system has the advantage that they will know in advance if the cert you produce is fake or invalid.
However, I do like to have the certificate
Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. Police will access the insurance database and will know if your vehicle is insured before they speak to you, so (in theory!) there is no need to have a certificate. This system has the advantage that they will know in advance if the cert you produce is fake or invalid.
However, I do like to have the certificate
I was stopped earlier this month near Badajoz and was surprised that the only thing they asked me for was my driving licence.

missile I now know why.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Ibex issue green cards as standard