British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Good motorbike insurance wanted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/good-motorbike-insurance-wanted-869653/)

Jon-Bxl Dec 26th 2015 7:12 am

Good motorbike insurance wanted

Hi can anyone recommend a good provider preferably one that can communicate in English, please?

Thanks in advance
Jon

bobd22 Dec 26th 2015 11:32 am

Re: Good motorbike insurance wanted

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 11821596)
Hi can anyone recommend a good provider preferably one that can communicate in English, please?

Thanks in advance
Jon

I insure a scooter with linea directa all in English. Mind I find insurance more expensive in Spain than UK . I have 2 bikes in UK a GS1150 and old Tiger 100c on one comprhensive policy including breakdown and European cover for up to 3 months which costs about the same as the scooter with breakdown on 1/3 party in Spain. Mind one good thing with linea directa they will accept any UK no claims you have from UK.

snikpoh Dec 26th 2015 1:50 pm

We use Union Alcoyana for both scooters and trials bikes as they are the only ones that will put my children as named drivers on the policies.

I am the registered owner and insured but they are named drivers/riders (16 year olds). All other companies (including linea directa) would not put named teenagers on the policy!

missile Dec 26th 2015 4:37 pm

I found insurance cheaper with a Spanish driving license.

bobd22 Dec 26th 2015 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 11821709)

Not an option for me as non resident

Longlegpete Dec 26th 2015 9:09 pm

Have just taken out a policy via a broker with Liberty Seguros, the policy is in English so you know what you are getting, only riders over the age of 25 are covered and they must have had a full licence for 2 years or more.

Price wise it's much more than my UK policy, i have three bikes on third party fire and theft in the UK for a total of £100, in Spain its €291 for one!

snikpoh Dec 27th 2015 8:48 am

Originally Posted by missile (Post 11821709)

We didn't.

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11821782)
Have just taken out a policy via a broker with Liberty Seguros, the policy is in English so you know what you are getting, only riders over the age of 25 are covered and they must have had a full licence for 2 years or more.

Price wise it's much more than my UK policy, i have three bikes on third party fire and theft in the UK for a total of £100, in Spain its €291 for one!

Ours is in Spanish yet we know what we are getting (as we all speak Spanish)! :p

missile Dec 27th 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 11821945)
We didn't.

Ours is in Spanish yet we know what we are getting (as we all speak Spanish)! :p

and a merry Christmas to you too

Casa Santo Estevo Dec 27th 2015 11:29 am

We didn't.

Ours too. The documents have to refer to Spanish law at some time.
I also wonder if these documents written in English would be legally reorganised in a Spanish court of law.

Longlegpete Dec 27th 2015 11:31 am

We didn't.

Indeed, but i am assuming the OP doesn't as they were asking for someone that could communicate in English!

Longlegpete Dec 27th 2015 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 11821988)
Ours too. The documents have to refer to Spanish law at some time.
I also wonder if these documents written in English would be legally reorganised in a Spanish court of law.

Was told i could have in both or either Spanish or English, policy is the same just in both languages

Jon-Bxl Dec 27th 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is so expensive in Spain to insure bikes!

I've heard that there are other policies in English that are fully accepted, so I dont think there is a language problem. (Eg Abbeygate advertise in all the expat press)

I have a problem with my current provider for the cost and also they had to be pushed before they sent the insurance green form for the last renewal. Kept telling me that all I had to show the police was the bank confirmation of payment, but all the docs were dated in the previous pre-renewal year.

In the end I got a scan of the necessary - but it left a sour taste for me, so am looking to change.

If there are any other contact details for English supported policies, please let me know... and thanks again for the info so far

Jon

Casa Santo Estevo Dec 27th 2015 1:26 pm

It is expensive to insure anything in Spain. With vehicles compulsory breakdown is included. In addition factors Like there is a high proportion of bike accidents in Spain, so that will also have an increase in costs. Things like crash barriers have a large say in injuries in Spain they can easily slice off a limb or a head, more so than any other EU country.
The green card is no longer relevant for driving in Spain it is all connected to the GC police computer now. You only have to get a certificate if you travel outside of Spain. Here in Galicia you are required to produce the bank statement of payment when the vehicle is going for an ITV but the last time I went it was not even looked at.
Insurance is automatically renewed in Spain. The amount of notice to cancel the cover is down to the insurer.....I think. Last time I wanted to change I gave 4 weeks notice. This is in advance of end of cover.
I would personally look for a good gestoria who can sell you something which is suitable. Spanish is the language of the law and until you see 100% for certain that you can use documents in English is it worth the risk. I do not mean "that" facebook page that purports to be from the GC either.

PS I should say that the points that have brought a sour taste will not be written in your documents. They are part of everyday Spain. Something you learn as you go along with Spanish friends.

missile Dec 27th 2015 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 11822010)
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is so expensive in Spain to insure bikes! I've heard that there are other policies in English that are fully accepted, so I dont think there is a language problem. (Eg Abbeygate advertise in all the expat press) I have a problem with my current provider for the cost and also they had to be pushed before they sent the insurance green form for the last renewal. Kept telling me that all I had to show the police was the bank confirmation of payment, but all the docs were dated in the previous pre-renewal year. In the end I got a scan of the necessary - but it left a sour taste for me, so am looking to change. If there are any other contact details for English supported policies, please let me know... and thanks again for the info so far Jon

I can recommend Linea Directa. I can confirm all communication is in English. They also told me that a certificate of insurance was not required, apparently Guardia do accept your bank receipt as evidence of insurance. When I explained that this would not be acceptable when I was travelling outside Spain and they were happy to supply a green card free of charge. I understand there is now reciprocal arrangements where all(?) EU member states have access to insurance data base, but I would not take the risk of driving without a valid certificate of insurance. PS: One of the reasons insurance is more expensive is that Spanish policies include breakdown assistance.

Fredbargate Dec 27th 2015 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 11821596)

Thanks in advance
Jon

You could try Ibex Motorbike Benefits Page

My own experience with Ibex was that the same m/cycle insured at the same address was approx 4 X the price on Spanish plates to what it was on Gib plates.