British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Good films (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/good-films-742230/)

Rosemary Dec 18th 2011 12:35 pm

Good films

What are your all time favourite films that you will happily watch time and time again and why?

Rosemary

The Beast Dec 18th 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Good films

'The Quiet Man'........

No need to explain why!

jackytoo Dec 18th 2011 1:15 pm

Off the top of my head.

Dr. Zhivago...stunning landscapes and soundtrack
Some like it Hot...always funny even tho' I know whats coming
Once Upon a time in America...gripping
Titanic...how cruising was in another era
Italian job(1960's one)
4 weddings & a Funeral...feel good
Evita...damned good musical and Banderas is superb
Singing in the Rain...for the music and dance

Have lots of other favourites but wouldn't really watch again.

whitelinen Dec 18th 2011 1:29 pm

Local Hero, reasons are many and include....no gratuitous sex scenes, violence or bad language..........great soundtrack.

Iron Jawed Angels...(terrible title) great film illustrating womens suffrage movement in America.

Rosemary Dec 18th 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9795142)
Off the top of my head.

Dr. Zhivago...stunning landscapes and soundtrack never seen it and been told by others that I must
Some like it Hot...always funny even tho' I know whats coming not seen this for many years
Once Upon a time in America...gripping not seen this will give it a go
Titanic...how cruising was in another era seen it a couple of times but probably will not again
Italian job(1960's one) Brilliant, seen several times
4 weddings & a Funeral...feel good lost count how many times I have seen it and will again no doubt
Evita...damned good musical and Banderas is superb not sure whether I have seen this
Singing in the Rain...for the music and dance blimey that really is a old classic, love it

Have lots of other favourites but wouldn't really watch again.

Rosemary

Rosemary Dec 18th 2011 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by The Beast (Post 9795141)
'The Quiet Man'........

No need to explain why!

Not heard of this one...........title foxes me though......surely there is no such thing.

Rosemary

Rosemary Dec 18th 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9795149)
Local Hero, reasons are many and include....no gratuitous sex scenes, violence or bad language..........great soundtrack.love this, will watch it again

Iron Jawed Angels...(terrible title) great film illustrating womens suffrage movement in America. this sound interesting

Rosemary

Dick Dasterdly Dec 18th 2011 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 9795347)
Not heard of this one...........title foxes me though......surely there is no such thing.

Rosemary

Irony in the extreme I would have thought. ;)

For me Dr Zhivago, possibly the greatest of all time.

The Wild Bunch possibly the best Western of all time.

Far from the Madding Crowd a great UK film from Thomas Hardy country.

JLFS Dec 18th 2011 7:10 pm

Small soldiers, because the kids loved it so much and it brings back such happy memories, and it keeps the marida quiet, she wants a real live Archer Gorgonite.;)

And the Godfather.

jimenato Dec 18th 2011 8:57 pm

Alien and The Sound of Music.

I'm a bit odd...:blink:

stevesainty Dec 18th 2011 9:16 pm

Love actually, fabulous feel good movie, lots of separate stories linked into one film. I have watched it so many time I almost know it verbatim. BTW can I buy it in Spain with Spanish dialogue? could be a good way to improve my Spanish.

Knotting Hill, another feel good film.

Submarine films, hunt for Red october brilliant Sean Connery, Das Boot very graphic ww2 film best in german with subtitles, Crimson Tide, follow orders or follow your instincts??

Just seen the millenium trilogy films after reading the books by Stieg Larsson. Films are very close to the books although rather abridged. best in Swedish with subtitles. The first book is quite sexually graphic in its writing but not gratuitously so stick with it. All three are wonderful thrillers.

At Christmas time all the Christmas Carol films are a must for me and my eldest daughter Catherine. Alistair Sim version, musical version with Albert Finney, Muppet Christmas Carol with Michael Cain, brilliant. Not to mention Scrooged with Bil Murray and A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart.

Also well watched every Christmas, It's a wonderful life and both versions of Miracle on 34th Street.

Holocaust film which everyone should watch at least once IMHO
Schindler's List, The Boy in Striped Pyjamas ( both watched once too harrowing to repeat) and an absolutely superb work of fiction The Reader with Kate Winslet - better than the book.

Library Ticket Dec 18th 2011 9:39 pm

Dr Zhivago one of my favourites, it's so intense you can almost feel the cold. One of the few films I have enjoyed more than the book they are based on.

Mr Holland's Opus - a real feel good film with pop music from several decades.

Rabbit Proof Fence - based on the true story of 3 mixed race girls (eldest aged 14) walking 1000 miles home across Australia after being forceably taken from their families by the (British) authorities.

Italian job - Michael Caine version.

A long long list of very good films that I would see again but not watch frequently, most of them because I've read the books, a few listed below:

The Constant Gardener
Millenium Trilogy
The Kite Runner
Bridges of Madison County

Rosemary Dec 19th 2011 5:23 am

This is really looking like I have to get Dr Zhivago, but now that Library Ticket has said that you almost feel the cold I think that it will have to be viewed when is is hot so that it can make me feel cooler.

Rosemary

Dick Dasterdly Dec 19th 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 9796004)
This is really looking like I have to get Dr Zhivago, but now that Library Ticket has said that you almost feel the cold I think that it will have to be viewed when is is hot so that it can make me feel cooler.

Rosemary

It's a film that often comes around on the TV close to Christmas time.
The snow scenes are fabulous, many of them filmed in Spain near Soria though a few were done in other parts of Europe.

You possibly need to watch it on more than one occasion to take it all in and fully appreciate it.

One scene involved a locally recruited woman who accidently fell under the train and was killed during filming. After much soul searching it was eventually agreed to include it in the film.
You can't get any more realistic than that.

All in all a superb film, superbly casted and filmed.

rachelk Dec 19th 2011 5:02 pm

At this time of year it can only be It's a wonderful life. Love it.

At other times of year, American Beauty is one. Spoorloos/The Vanishing is one of the best I've ever seen but I can't/don't watch it very often.