Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

good areas to live kids??

good areas to live kids??

Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:14 am
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: good areas to live kids??

Originally Posted by megmet
Yes I agree with that statement...

Spain is a great place to live....if you have a job or don't need to work for a living!
Without speaking Spanish to a quite high degree finding work at all will be an uphill struggle. Even speaking the language it would be difficult, as unemployment is higher here than in the UK, in fact in some inland places it's as high as thirty percent.
Don't forget that there will also be the cost of private health cover too on top of the cost of school fees.

While I'm not trying to put you off the move I urge you to think it all through and plan carefully. If things go wrong here (as they have for many in the last couple of years) there is no safety net like in the UK.
With careful planning and not setting your sights too high it's possible to have a wonderful and fulfilling life here, but you do have to put realism into the equation.
If you are lucky enough to find work on a permanent contract don't fall into the trap of thinking it's going to be a walk in the park, like being on holiday....it's not!
The Spanish do play hard but they work very hard and long hours too!

I wish you luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.
I've never had to speak any spanish to have a job here (although a little learning along the way can help). Also, I have never paid private medical. Yet I have managed to secure jobs, on contract, with good hours, and be treated in hospital for free. (Many times unfortunately).

I don't know why people think it is so hard. Maybe some people are more employable than others. (As long as they don't come over and try to steal my job). It's no harder and no worse than the U.K. If you're sensible.
Maybe I'm just lucky..
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:59 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola27
Well we have been looking into oz but cant raise the funds from the sale of the house now to cover the costs. Spain is much closer, cheaper to move to, the weather , lifestyle.
Are you sure you really want to live inSpain or just want to get out of the UK or just live in the sun somewhere.

It seems as though you have decided on Spain because OZ wasnt possible for financial reasons, otherwise you would not even have Spain or your shopping list.

Not a good enough reason do make a life changing decision in my opinion.

Last edited by JLFS; Feb 17th 2011 at 6:02 am.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

1 30% unemployment in places? In places think 70%
2 Not everyone on the costas (at least not the CdS) speaks English and why should they given they're in Spain!

Good luck with your decision making; for what it's worth it does kind of seem from your posts as though it was 'where could we go if we can't go to Oz' but it's oh so easy to give & get the wrong impression from forums
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:39 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
1 30% unemployment in places? In places think 70%
2 Not everyone on the costas (at least not the CdS) speaks English and why should they given they're in Spain!

Good luck with your decision making; for what it's worth it does kind of seem from your posts as though it was 'where could we go if we can't go to Oz' but it's oh so easy to give & get the wrong impression from forums
You could be right on both points.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JLFS
Are you sure you really want to live inSpain or just want to get out of the UK or just live in the sun somewhere.

It seems as though you have decided on Spain because OZ wasnt possible for financial reasons, otherwise you would not even have Spain or your shopping list.

Not a good enough reason do make a life changing decision in my opinion.
So far the move to Oz hasnt worked out so I thought I would use this site to look into the possibilities of moving to spain as an alternative. What is wrong with, if plans dont work out for somewhere, looking at an alternative option?!?!?! You dont know our situation and reasons for needing to move abroad so its a bit harsh for you to comment on what you think my priorities are.

If at first you dont succeed try try again. Dont just give up, at least explore other options.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

I would like to thank those of you that have replied with some interesting information.

Thankyou
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

So far the move to Oz hasnt worked out so I thought I would use this site to look into the possibilities of moving to spain as an alternative. What is wrong with, if plans dont work out for somewhere, looking at an alternative option?!?!?! You dont know our situation and reasons for needing to move abroad so its a bit harsh for you to comment on what you think my priorities are.
If at first you dont succeed try try again. Dont just give up, at least explore other options.

Hence my comment above - we've all been misunderstood ourselves, and misunderstood others' motives/posts etc
(and yes, if at first you don't succeed is to be commended!)
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:01 am
Banned

So far the move to Oz hasnt worked out so I thought I would use this site to look into the possibilities of moving to spain as an alternative. What is wrong with, if plans dont work out for somewhere, looking at an alternative option?!?!?! You dont know our situation and reasons for needing to move abroad so its a bit harsh for you to comment on what you think my priorities are. If at first you dont succeed try try again. Dont just give up, at least explore other options.
You are right I dont know what your situation is and I cant imagine why anyone would NEED to live abroad coming from the UK.

I can understand someone needing to live in OZ USA Spain, or anyother country where they have commintments and obligations, ie job demands it or family.

So it is not your love of Spain that pulls you, but your desire to get out of the UK at any cost, if I read your post correctly.

But I know this will be taken the wrong way, you seem to want to be anywhere but where you are now, why not try somewhere different in the UK.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

You are right I dont know what your situation is and I cant imagine why anyone would NEED to live abroad coming from the UK.

I can understand someone needing to live in OZ USA Spain, or anyother country where they have commintments and obligations, ie job demands it or family.

So it is not your love of Spain that pulls you, but your desire to get out of the UK at any cost, if I read your post correctly.

But I know this will be taken the wrong way, you seem to want to be anywhere but where you are now, why not try somewhere different in the UK.
I have a health condition where the cold weather affects my quality of life to the point I am no longer able to work. At 32 I have been told by medical professionals that I can expect no quality of life whilst living in the uk. I have actually been advised to move abroad. This condition also effects my partner and 2 children and I am not prepared to live like this for the next 60 yrs (maybe a lot less). I'm not looking to be rich, just trying to make a better future for myself and family. I think my priorities are right as my health and families happiness are THE most important thing!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, the poster seems desperate to move somewhere, anywhere, even Spain will do! Because "Spain is much closer, cheaper to move to, the weather , lifestyle", that doesn't really sound like good reasons to move. France, Germany, Italy, Portugal could all fit that criteria.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agoreira
I agree, the poster seems desperate to move somewhere, anywhere, even Spain will do! Because "Spain is much closer, cheaper to move to, the weather , lifestyle", that doesn't really sound like good reasons to move. France, Germany, Italy, Portugal could all fit that criteria.

I think we should agree to disagree. Everyone's reasons for moving are different and the reasons I want to move country are good enough for me!

many thousands of people move countrys all the time, wheather its to or from this country and I'm sure all these people have different reasons for doing it, work, family or whatever. I really dont think I would judge peoples motives.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I have a health condition where the cold weather affects my quality of life to the point I am no longer able to work. At 32 I have been told by medical professionals that I can expect no quality of life whilst living in the uk. I have actually been advised to move abroad. This condition also effects my partner and 2 children and I am not prepared to live like this for the next 60 yrs (maybe a lot less). I'm not looking to be rich, just trying to make a better future for myself and family. I think my priorities are right as my health and families happiness are THE most important thing!
Spanish winters can be pretty cold, especially at home as the houses arent made for the cold. So maybe you should consider the Canary islands then as you get milder winters.

I guess you will have a disability income from the UK government to help you live in Spain as I doubt you will qualify for anything in Spain.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricketman
Spanish winters can be pretty cold, especially at home as the houses arent made for the cold. So maybe you should consider the Canary islands then as you get milder winters.

I guess you will have a disability income from the UK government to help you live in Spain as I doubt you will qualify for anything in Spain.
Thanks for that. I think I will look into that. My illness is quite as new one in medical terms and although I should be entitled to benefits (which I have to say I worked for 15 yrs and never claimed benefits before) but am fighting to get anything at all and have been recieving nothing for the last 2 yrs. If the weather is better hopefully I'll be alright for working as I dont plan on sitting on my butt for the rest of my life. to be able to work and have my independance back is another reason added to my long list of reasons to move.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:58 am
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

I think we should agree to disagree. Everyone's reasons for moving are different and the reasons I want to move country are good enough for me!

many thousands of people move countrys all the time, wheather its to or from this country and I'm sure all these people have different reasons for doing it, work, family or whatever. I really dont think I would judge peoples motives.
Ignore him. He hates Spain. He'll put off anybody moving here if he can.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Lushdaddy;9182556]Ignore him. He hates Spain. He'll put off anybody moving here if he can.[/Q

thankyou, what good advice, I think I shall!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.