Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Goldcar Excess Deposit Question

Goldcar Excess Deposit Question

Old Feb 15th 2020, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goldcar Excess Deposit Question

In all the years of hiring cars in spain we have never had a problem.We all ways took out full insurance at the hire desk on arrival.WE have written off one car damaged others and never had a problem,good service and back up by all companies including gold car.When my wife wrote the car off we rang the company a breakdown truck arrived in 3/4 hour took us and the car to airport gave us exactly the same model and color car, back to villa in 2 hours very happy
Old Feb 17th 2020, 8:23 am
Just Joined

San Pedro is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference is that you paid for the full insurance package and that's why you don't have any issues. When you do this you are not having to leave a deposit on your credit card so they would be unable to charge you any excess. The problems only start when you take out your own (much cheaper) insurance before leaving the UK.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by San Pedro
For those of you that haven't had a problem with Goldcar/Rhodium don't assume that will continue. I used Goldcar and their subsidiary Rhodium several times before they whacked me. It was about a week after arriving home that they deducted 500 euros from my card for so called damage. I disputed this and they sent me a standard email saying they had reviewed my photo's and their decision was upheld. Interesting because I didn't send them any photo's. They are nothing short of criminals. I emailed Murcia airport and the local tourist board to inform them of this company's practices and I would advise anyone to do the same. It may not change anything unless enough people vent their spleen. Of course there is no guarantee that the company I now use won't do the same in the future. Car hire in Spain is a minefield and needs a clean sweep.
But it doesn't matter if you have your own insurance. Just claim from them. The malpractice only matters if you have both rejected their insurance and not bought an annual policy.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Not sure I understand that response. Are you saying it doesn't matter if the car hire company charges you for damage you haven't done?
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a third-party excess insurance bought in UK, then eventually any damage caused should be covered by that insurance, even though the rental company will first take money from your credit card deposit and you have to claim later from insurance. The trouble starts when the rental outfit makes it difficult for you, by delaying or refusing to furnish required documents like accident report, invoices and receipts, which your excess cover insurer demands. Also rental firm can claim extra for lost business while the car is being repaired, which is covered by some but not all excess insurers.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

That's all very interesting but I think some of you are missing the point. I am referring to Goldcar charging you (or your excess insurance company) for damage that you did not cause and not damage that you did.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

If you want, you can argue with Goldstar about your liability for damage, but at the end of the day, if you have excess insurance, it's simpler just to claim on your insurance and get reimbursed, provided you get the required documents from Goldstar, as I have said.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point on private insurance.

When Brexit was supposed to happen on March 29th. 2019 a message appeared on the Insurance4carhire site stating that after that date new policies would be no longer be available to non UK residents.

Obviously that date came and went and currently there is nothing of a similar nature on their website but that doesn't mean their position has changed and that the bar will be reapplied for Dec 31st. or whenever the transition period does in fact end.
Old May 14th 2020, 12:46 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have annual hire car damage insurance. Much cheaper than paying hire car company.
Old May 14th 2020, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Joyous777

Never heard of such an insurance policy. Problem you will encounter is almost all car rental companies refuse to deal with what they call a third party insurance company, claiming that they are not party to any agreement or contract with them. The rental contract you sign with Goldcar or any other rental outfit stipulates it's you who enter into an agreement of hiring a car from them and you are bound by their terms and conditions, which include having to make good any damage or loss you incur, either by buying a full insurance cover from them or forfeit part or all of your credit card deposit. What you will do afterwards to claim the cost from your excess insurance policy in entirely your own matter, and rental company has nothing to with it.
The only exception is if you are from North America and your credit card offers CDW cover on overseas rental. Sometimes you can then refuse CDW from rental company and your credit card will deal directly with them over a claim, though they may first reserve credit on your card for the disputed amount which is then released once the claim is settled. Normally only big multinationals like Avis and Hertz are willing to offer CDW-less rental.
Old May 15th 2020, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely there's not only me who thinks Joyous777's post sounds like a teaser advert. Especially with the capital letters in strategic places.
Old May 19th 2020, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

I only used Goldcar once on a business trip to the north of Spain. I took several photos of the car at pick up and had the usual existing damage report their staff. I returned the car a day later and made sure the same chap gave me a document stating no damage - as well as taking another set of photos. Surprise surprise a few days later €450 was taken from my card with an email stating costs for vehicle bodywork repair. After a lot of time, phone calls and emails of complaint/proof of no damage - they eventually returned my money. Needless to say I never used them again.
Old May 19th 2020, 10:32 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I see mention of Insurance4carhire as an annual policy(?) - anyone got any other recommendations for insurance companies?

At the moment I use my old US Visa card which covers CDW, but at some point I might no longer retain that account.
Old May 19th 2020, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

I have an annual policy with insurance4carhire. One of the longest established excess insurers, they cover lost business charge from car hirers and you get good cashback by using Quidco or other cashback sites. Never had to claim so I don't know personally how their claim handling is, but they have a good reputation for customer care. Only cover UK and some other EU residents.
Using CDW offered by certain US credit cards is a good option for those who qualify for it, but usually only big multinationals like Avis, Hertz and National accept it and they aren't normally the most competitive even without CDW cover. By using a reputable hirer like Helle Hollis and Malagacar.com, you don't go wrong, and they are happy for you to use third-party excess insurance, but sometimes they offer full cover at a good rate. I often get a week's hire for a compact with full insurance from Malagacar for around 100 euro. Another good company is Wiber, but only with full insurance.
Old May 19th 2020, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had an annual policy with insurance4carhire for many years and it's saved me a fortune in CDW cover. The hirers are fighting back - I hired a car with Hertz in Dublin last summer and they accepted my policy but required a 1500€ deposit on my credit card which they didn't unblock for nearly a month after the rental finished.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.