Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Going to Spain for 1 year with motobike ZX7R, need to meet people and get informaiton

Going to Spain for 1 year with motobike ZX7R, need to meet people and get informaiton

Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

bushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant future
Exclamation Going to Spain for 1 year with motobike ZX7R, need to meet people and get informaiton

Hello all

Ok guys and gals here goes.

I am 26 and going to Spain for a minimum of 9 months. If I like it I will live there. I am located 22km from the centre of Madrid

I am taking my motobike, however I can only get 3 months european cover. In that time I would like to convert my bike to a spanish bike so I can get insurance. My bike is a ZX7R (1998). I need to know how strict they are at the ITV. (I have a few mods)

I need to know EVERYTHING possible. I am learning spanish, I estimate 6 months before I am fully up to scratch. If there are people in Spain from the UK I would like to meet them and build a friendship.

I intend to go there by te first or second week in november.

Thank you for you help, if you need any information, please let me know.

Last edited by bushidowarrior; Sep 28th 2008 at 10:08 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going to Spain for 1 year with motobike ZX7R, need to meet people and get informa

Good on yer fella!

Anyway the bad news is that as far as I know they don't like mods over here, put the bike back to standard and sort the headlight out and it should be fine.
When I matriculated my car, the different wheels had to be listed on the certificate of conformity to be accepted. Thankfully they were off the same make of car and got through. May be different for bikes but I somehow doubt it.

6 months to learn spanish is a tall order, unless you are some sort of language god.

All the same, hope it goes to plan for you.

Ste.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

bushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant futurebushidowarrior has a brilliant future
Default Re: Going to Spain for 1 year with motobike ZX7R, need to meet people and get informa

Originally Posted by Splatt
Good on yer fella!

Anyway the bad news is that as far as I know they don't like mods over here, put the bike back to standard and sort the headlight out and it should be fine.
When I matriculated my car, the different wheels had to be listed on the certificate of conformity to be accepted. Thankfully they were off the same make of car and got through. May be different for bikes but I somehow doubt it.

6 months to learn spanish is a tall order, unless you are some sort of language god.

All the same, hope it goes to plan for you.

Ste.
Define mods. How picky are they, I got coloured pegs, better Brake cylinder, red wheels, alarm, HID Lights, Camera kit, gear indicator.

These all have to come off (((((

P.S (4 hours a day on training program) Don it before. Lots of fun.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Mods are either moderators on BE or.. in your case... ANY and ALL changes made to the original specification of the vehicle.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Mods are either moderators on BE or.. in your case... ANY and ALL changes made to the original specification of the vehicle.
Does that mean they will record all mods on my bike on to the ITV report.

If so, can/does that effect Spanish insurance.

Thank you.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bushidowarrior
Does that mean they will record all mods on my bike on to the ITV report.

If so, can/does that effect Spanish insurance.

Thank you.
Basically, anything that departs from the standard factory spec of the vehicle as it is or was sold in Spain/Europe will cause it to fail the ITV.
If it was an import originally and not sold in Europe in the same form, things supposedly get even harder.
Use the search facility at the top of the page as there have been a few instances recently of people doing the same thing as you.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Define mods. How picky are they, I got coloured pegs, better Brake cylinder, red wheels, alarm, HID Lights, Camera kit, gear indicator.

VERY PICKY-peg possible fail, brake m/cyl definate fail (if they spot it) colour change -no problem,alarm no prob, non standard lights = fail, camera =non standard best remove, gear indicator possible fail!

They really are obsesive here, tyre sizes must also be standard,
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My car when I matriculated it had

Vented disks (not standard)
Carbon fibre bonnet (not standard)
Straight through stainless steel decat exhaust (not standard and no cat)
Induction air filter (ITG ... not standard)
215 x 40 x 17 tyres (16" is standard)
Momo Steering wheel

It got through OK, but I used a gestoria in the Northern CB to do it who knew all the angles.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Momo Steering wheel

It got through OK, but I used a gestoria in the Northern CB to do it who knew all the angles.
You are god. Thank you. I knew you had to know the right people.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:06 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You are god. Thank you. I knew you had to know the right people.
You want his details?
Javea / Alicante
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

You want his details?
Javea / Alicante
Please
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:13 am
Senior Moment

Please
Sent
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Momo Steering wheel

This is proberley because it was registerd as modified ,usually the engineers charge considerably more for their report in this case, BUT you can have problems with future ITVs even when the modifications are listed on your ficha technica, Ive experienced this first hand,usually happens when modified parts are not homolagado or OE kit and you have no additional documents from the manufacturer.
I also predict future problems getting the car through emmisions testing if it has no cat unless its very old.

I had a Discovery fail the ITV last week because it had heavier duty rear springs than original!!! the give away was they were bright blue, but they standard height!!!, Painted them black and sent someone else in for the retest and it passed!!! This is how ridiculas the ITV can be.

Last edited by Rotor; Sep 29th 2008 at 2:32 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rotor
This is proberley because it was registerd as modified ,usually the engineers charge considerably more for their report in this case, BUT you can have problems with future ITVs even when the modifications are listed on your ficha technica, Ive experienced this first hand,usually happens when modified parts are not homolagado or OE kit and you have no additional documents from the manufacturer.
I also predict future problems getting the car through emmisions testing if it has no cat unless its very old.

I had a Discovery fail the ITV last week because it had heavier duty rear springs than original!!! the give away was they were bright blue, but they standard height!!!, Painted them black and sent someone else in for the retest and it passed!!! This is how ridiculas the ITV can be.
I think at the end of the day. If you know the right people then its all good. I have been talking to some people and they where saying it depends on the ITV people. One person have moded everything on his motobike. He got his ITV as he knew the right people. Its the same here. Some MOT station are anal, know the right people and it is a different story.

I dont have Many mods on my motobike. I can understand about the exhaust, and the lights. One guy told me that they filed his ITV due to the colour of his bar ends. On the other had. One guy had a FULL brembo setup, Different colour wheels and all sorts. Got through ITV. LOL

What are all the step involved in this process, I would also like to know what happens if you get pulled by cops.

Thanks
Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think at the end of the day. If you know the right people then its all good. I have been talking to some people and they where saying it depends on the ITV people. One person have moded everything on his motobike. He got his ITV as he knew the right people. Its the same here. Some MOT station are anal, know the right people and it is a different story.

I dont have Many mods on my motobike. I can understand about the exhaust, and the lights. One guy told me that they filed his ITV due to the colour of his bar ends. On the other had. One guy had a FULL brembo setup, Different colour wheels and all sorts. Got through ITV. LOL

What are all the step involved in this process, I would also like to know what happens if you get pulled by cops.

Thanks
Its not who you know really as you cant choose your ITV tester,its more luck of the draw,a customer of mine had his Defender failed because it had a snorkel so he taken it to a different test station and it passed, drives you nuts,:curse:The bottom line being its much more strict than the UK.
Cops have the power to confiscate motor vehicles and ocaisionally do so.

Rgds

Rotor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.