Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Going to move after a tough year( but were is best)

Going to move after a tough year( but were is best)

Old Mar 12th 2017, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Spiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going to move after a tough year( but were is best)

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Sold to who? many of those sort of apartments are 'sold' to the developers, just so that they can say it's 100% sold I lived very close to a group of three apartment blocks, all apartments had been 'sold' but only to the developer, only the penthouse had genuinely been sold, and that was to a British footballer who only spent a week in the place before deciding he didn't really like it and put it back on sale he wasn't even getting any interest at a price of 50% of what it had cost him. Because of the fact that none were occupied, then there wasn't enough money coming in for more than the very basic gardening and cleaning, and that was the reason that the other apartments were not saleable.
Was that golf del sur in tenerife? I forgot the footballer in question but the block is like a ghost town now, emoty pool, weeds everywhere, horrid
Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spiv
My father always said - The best time to invest in property is as soon as you can afford to! its my belief that now is the absolute best time to join the hoards of foreign buyers buying in spain. Greece not so much but anywhere else is a fair bet. Prices along the coast are seeing a steady increase in the last 18 months, and really the spanish property market has only one direction to go and thats up. Ive invested many times in property and always someone was trying to tell me not to, its a bad time, ... im glad i didnt listen, they have never been right yet.. I would also say you are very mortgagable especially with a deposit and on a short term like 5 years, i would think the bank will roll out the red carpet to take your investment.
I almost agree with you, certainly in the UK, but not Spain. All my properties are in the UK, I know the system, know trends...I don't know Spain. I could go to Spain in the morning and buy several apartments and town houses mortgage free but you'll wait longer in Spain for prices to go up and then you hit the brick wall of selling them given the hundreds of thousands of empty properties out there.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
I almost agree with you, certainly in the UK, but not Spain. All my properties are in the UK, I know the system, know trends...I don't know Spain. I could go to Spain in the morning and buy several apartments and town houses mortgage free but you'll wait longer in Spain for prices to go up and then you hit the brick wall of selling them given the hundreds of thousands of empty properties out there.
My family live in the north of England and prices there have been flat for 10 years. In the place I was referring to when I mentioned the sold out development ( that is apparently just a scam ) has seen prices rise recently.

I am not saying that much of Spain doesn't have issues, but the idea that the UK is easy pickings might have been true until recently but certainly isn't the case now.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the risk of the exchange rate.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Spiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Bob, yes that's the one downside, a glut of spanish property sits empty, but, having said that if supply outstrips demand you dont get a rise in property prices, as you know location is so important, i doubt theres much coastal property sat unsold, and most of these empty properties are inland on dodgy urbanizations with dried out golf courses that you cant play on. Buy within 15 mins of the coast and im sure your investment today is a good bet. May be interesting to resurect this thread at a later date and see. Currently costa blanca prices 15mins from the sea are roughly a 3 bed villa with pool, 125-150k €, a 2 bed apartment with communal 15 mins away is 75-100k, a 3 bed apartment 100m from the coast can be had today for 100k (dated)
Old Mar 17th 2017, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spiv
...Buy within 15 mins of the coast and im sure your investment today is a good bet
Yes, close to the coast is key. The development I referred to above is the first new property to be built within 50m of the sea in the particular area in over a decade. Sold out at 250k upwards (2 bed apartment) before completion.

Sadly, too many people assume every property in Spain is in the middle of a golf course in the middle of nowhere with loads of stuff unsold. Or maybe they just like talking the place down.