Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

godmother godfather.....

godmother godfather.....

Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:39 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: godmother godfather....

Originally Posted by JLFS
After spending some time with a Spanish faimily including godparents, I was asked if British people call their godparents by the title, as they do in Spain.
You asked me the question :

A vast sweeping statement. Do they? Do all Spaniards refer to their godparents by title? Really?? Or is it just something you have seen in your circle
?

I replied that of course I don’t mean that ALL Spaniards do it.

I pointed out about the siesta and other scenarios, to prove the point that I was talking about my circle. And it is impossible that a WHOLE NATION does the same thing, except breathing
And that when people make a statement about a nation, whatever they say does not mean, that every person in the land, does what ever is being discussed.

So maybe now you can see what a dumb question you asked me.

You could have said that in your experience, you have never heard a Spanish child say Nadrina to her godmother.
But no, You asked if I was sure, and OH, REALLY, and said that I had made a vast sweeping statement.

In fact if you read my post properly, I was asking if English speaking children used the term in the UK-
I was asking the native English speakers for their take on the subject, as I am still learning the language, I still do nt know everything there is to know on the subject.

I was not asking if Spanish children did it. Because I already know the answer to that, and they do.

But I did not mean that EVERY SINGLE Spanish child does.

That would be saying that the British are a nation of animal lovers………….that also does not mean every single person, either, because as we all know some hate and are cruel to animals.
Tosh! You said, "as they do in Spain" in the OP, and then repeating it in the following answer. I might say to someone 'This is my Godfather' but I would not call him Godfather (unless in affectionate jest). I am British not Spanish. In my experience and - in the knowledge that I am going to get slaughtered for this for the arrogance albiet innocent - it is quite substantial given that I have live in various parts of the country, lived away in general from the guiri areas - although the last few years the guiris have found their way to our area -I have not come across Spanish people who make a special point of referring to Godmother or Godfather as a matter of course like they would Mum, Dad, Grandfather, Uncle etc....

You have seen it, so you assume it is global. I've seen a Flamenco dancer. I don't believe that villages in Galicia, Burgos or Valencia are riddled with them.

(by the way...thank you to those of you who have given the karma and left messages - often when you say things certain posters don't want to hear, it is easy to feel isolated or out on a limb. Nice to know there are others out there with the blinkers off )
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:54 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza

It does make me smile how romaticised and outdated some people's perceptions of Spanish people are (and, please, I am not bundling you in here as I have no evidence of what your ideas are, save your godparents comment)
Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes fair enough point, although I dont think it should be leveled at JLFS
Nice bit of editing there, Cricketman. As you can see, I made a point of not singling JLFS out as my rant was going off topic and it would have been unfair of me to bundle him in to a related rant.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:37 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Tosh! You said, "as they do in Spain" in the OP, and then repeating it in the following answer. I might say to someone 'This is my Godfather' but I would not call him Godfather (unless in affectionate jest). I am British not Spanish. In my experience and - in the knowledge that I am going to get slaughtered for this for the arrogance albiet innocent - it is quite substantial given that I have live in various parts of the country, lived away in general from the guiri areas - although the last few years the guiris have found their way to our area -I have not come across Spanish people who make a special point of referring to Godmother or Godfather as a matter of course like they would Mum, Dad, Grandfather, Uncle etc....

You have seen it, so you assume it is global. I've seen a Flamenco dancer. I don't believe that villages in Galicia, Burgos or Valencia are riddled with them.

(by the way...thank you to those of you who have given the karma and left messages - often when you say things certain posters don't want to hear, it is easy to feel isolated or out on a limb. Nice to know there are others out there with the blinkers off )

when somone says "As they do in Spain" it does not mean everyone. That is impossible.

I often put salt and vinegar on my chips, "AS THEY DO IN ENGLAND" but I dont mean every person in England does it, som put ketchup etc on instead.

In my circle as in family, friends, neighbours etc, in Galicia.
The children often refer to the godparents by their title. Alll I asked was a simple question to as wether English children did this.

The fact that the people I am referrring to call godpartents by their title, means that it is done in Spain, as these people are Spanish. Of course only an idiot would think that I meant every child in the whole of Spain would say it.
Maybe not in your part of Spain, granted, but the original question was not about Spain but about the UK.

Some of you may have lived in Spain for yonks, well where do you think my family have been living then, unless you dont consider their little corner of Galicia as being in Spain.

It is quite stupid that a simple question about what English kids say, stirs up so much shit. As in A VAST SWEEPING STATEMNT, OH REALLY?? DOES THAT HAPPEN ALL OVER SPAIN????????YADA YADA YADA....

i am not going to say anything else on the subject.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Makingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant future
Default Re: godmother godfather.....

Well said. Sometimes you can be put off posting something for fear of what seems to be an 'over the top' attack on what you have said.

Of course, one of the benefits of the forum is getting those different views, but there are perhaps better ways of expressing it - eg it may be well-used where you are, but not in all parts of Spain, rather than jumping on someone for asking a simple question.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

watching Fama yesterday afternnon, one of the dancers received a phone call

the first words out of the caller's mouth were

'Hola, soy tu madrina................................'

so she certainly identifies herself as 'godmother', which is something my kids godparents never do.....................
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Makingthemove
Well said. Sometimes you can be put off posting something for fear of what seems to be an 'over the top' attack on what you have said.

Of course, one of the benefits of the forum is getting those different views, but there are perhaps better ways of expressing it - eg it may be well-used where you are, but not in all parts of Spain, rather than jumping on someone for asking a simple question.
Yip. I've said before and it seems appropriate to say again that it's just a bit too simple to use pixels to hide behind. If we all posted as if standing speaking to someone face to face, we might think to phrase ourselves better.

(disclaimer: this applies across the board, self included)

Oh, and I've never referred to my godparents as godparents, once, ever & don't think I've ever heard any other British parents/kids doing so.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've not read all this thread & to be honest is some of it really worth it, but my husbands niece regards my husband, her uncle, as her god father & she really cares about this.

They hale from Wolverhampton & are not Catholic if that helps folks here understand that it takes all sorts to make a world go around.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:35 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

After spending some time with a Spanish faimily including godparents, I was asked if British people call their godparents by the title, as they do in Spain.

Quite frankly I dont know the answer, I have heard of people referring to their godparents as such, but I have never heard anyone address them directly by their title.

Maybe it is because I have never been in the presence of British godchildren and godparents together.

Just curious...................
Two of my Godparents are actually my aunt and an uncle. I have always called them both aunt *** and uncle *** Never Godmother or Godfather. However when talking about either of them I always say "who is also my Godfather/Godmother.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:49 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a problem as I was never christened
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't have a problem as I was never christened
Well to be honest, though I was christened, it's clearly been such a major(not) element of my life that I don't remember who they all are/were....... but when I was aware, I certainly didn't call them godfather/mother. again, just for good measure!