British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Glasses and dentists (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/glasses-dentists-870039/)

tortis Jan 4th 2016 12:37 pm

Glasses and dentists

Hi everybody!

I would like to ask please, how to proceed to obtain new reading glasses and going to a dentist.

Do you just go to any dentist?

Also for new glasses, you just go to any shop who sell glasses and have them made there?

Do the social security pay a percentage of these like in England?

Your information will be appreciated!!!!

Thank you,
Tortis

snikpoh Jan 4th 2016 12:41 pm

Re: Glasses and dentists

Firstly, you have to pay the full price - no discounts at all.

You can just go into any shop/dentist but it might pay to ask for recommendations.

For example, I wouldn't use specsavers in Javea because the quality of their frames is quite poor (my experience and others). However, Direkt Optica in Moraira offer 3 pars for the price of one - worth looking into as Spanish opticians are VERY expensive.

For dentists - how about putting your location in your profile and you might get some recommendations for your area.

tortis Jan 4th 2016 12:50 pm

Thank you casaelparque.

My area is Turis and Torrent, maybe somebody can advise me about this areas for dentist and shop for glasses???????

Tortis

jimenato Jan 4th 2016 2:20 pm

If you really do mean reading glasses, the Sunday markets on the costas sell them in all different strengths for about 2 Euros.

Fred James Jan 4th 2016 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 11827507)
Firstly, you have to pay the full price - no discounts at all.

That's not entirely true.

In Andalucia, if you are over 65 and apply for a special card, you get discounts of 18% on glasses with no limits on the original costs. There are also a variety of other discounts. Obviously this is a regional thing, but I would be surprised if other regions did not do something similar.

snikpoh Jan 4th 2016 4:03 pm

I stand corrected. No one here (over 65) has ever mentioned it so they might not be available in Valencia I guess.

Any one know different?

VFR Jan 4th 2016 4:12 pm

Also if you have a stable prescription there are quite a few UK online spectacle makers who will supply at a big discount.

Tammydog Jan 4th 2016 6:53 pm

Since when did they pay for glasses for pensioners in uk. Unless your on benefits. Or under 16. They don't. But specsavers do a discount for the over 65s in Uk so assume they will do the same here. And I always go to Specsavers in UK and buy designer glasses at reasonable prices never had any problems. But this is of interest to me as I will be needing them here in the near future. So let us know how you get on with both please.

amideislas Jan 4th 2016 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 11827630)
If you really do mean reading glasses, the Sunday markets on the costas sell them in all different strengths for about 2 Euros.

Yes, exactly. About 10 yrs ago, my lovely husband decided it was time for me to get an eye check and get some "proper" reading glasses. Went to a local optician. End of the day, total bill €160. And the glasses were precisely regular 1.5 reading glasses.

A few years back, the expensive pair became cloudy, so I looked around, and it's true. You can buy them for about €2. They are every bit as good as the "proper" ones, abd now I have about 6 pairs lying around. And they're not ugly either.

missile Jan 4th 2016 10:27 pm

I was happy with the quality and price of reading glasses I bought at Specsavers 2 for 1.

Tammydog Jan 5th 2016 10:06 am

I have varifocals and need seperate prescription sun glasses as light sensitive. So 2 for 1 is perfect for me. As it would cost me hundreds of pounds. Specsavers does it for me. And they have some high spec equipment for eye tests. They dignosed a serious problem and referred me to the hospital. So yes I will continue to use them here if the same. Yet to find that out though!

missile Jan 5th 2016 10:23 am

Only as good as the optician you happen to get.

snikpoh Jan 5th 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Tammydog (Post 11828478)
I have varifocals and need seperate prescription sun glasses as light sensitive. So 2 for 1 is perfect for me. As it would cost me hundreds of pounds. Specsavers does it for me. And they have some high spec equipment for eye tests. They dignosed a serious problem and referred me to the hospital. So yes I will continue to use them here if the same. Yet to find that out though!

... or 3 for 1 at Direkt Optica even better as you then get a spare pair for the car (a legal requirement).

davidinspain Jan 5th 2016 11:06 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 11827741)
I stand corrected. No one here (over 65) has ever mentioned it so they might not be available in Valencia I guess.

Any one know different?

Over 60 http://www.inclusio.gva.es/web/mayor...a-del-mayorb8b

personal_assistant Jan 6th 2016 12:06 pm

Cannot say much about glasses, but a dentist you better chosse something that is not franchise like VitalDent and others. (Just google before "dental firm name you´re considering + franquicia") I see you are close to Valencia, so I can sugest my dentist I go to and I am very happy about: My dentist They don´t speak english though