Reload this Page >

Gibraltar for family?

Gibraltar for family?

Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Eggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gibraltar for family?

Hi

I am close to being offerd a job in Gibraltar - salary 50k pounds.
I have a wife and two children (2 and 2 months old).

We live in SE Asian at moment, but my wife is Spanish so know the lay of the land in general - but have lived outside europe of 15 years.

Is Gibraltar a good place to bring up kids - outdoor and happy lifestyle; schools etc.

Also - would it be better to live in Gibraltar or across the border somewhere - either for tax or lifestyle?

Any advise gratefully received and repaid in beer or a good wine when we hopefully arrive!

Thanks
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar for family?

There have been lots of previous questions about Gibraltar, try a search.

However personally Gib is a safe place for a family.
But it is very small and cramped, a concrete jungle.
Flats are small and expensive, however 50K is a good wage.

Across the frontier in Spain you have better quality of accommodation for your money plus wider open spaces for the kids.
This of course has to be balanced by the daily commute.
Your children are still young but would you prefer them to be educated in British style schools or in Spanish ones?

There are lots of people who have chosen the Spanish lifestyle coupled with the Gib working day and many of these are Gibraltarians. A large percentage of Gibraltarians own " holiday homes " in Spain and commute daily to Gib.

At the moment there is plenty of rental property available in Gib so may I suggest you rent for say a six month period whilst exploring the other possibilities.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

live in spain, work in gib. no question.
Old May 1st 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I have not lived in Gibraltar, but been there as a visitor. The one thing that you notice first is how grey dreary,cramped and dirty it is compared to the Spanish mainland basking in the sun. It almost looked like Gibraltar was constantly under a cloud.
I was really dissapointed at the place and maybe as the other posters said, it is better not to live there, but maybe only work.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
I have not lived in Gibraltar, but been there as a visitor. The one thing that you notice first is how grey dreary,cramped and dirty it is compared to the Spanish mainland basking in the sun. It almost looked like Gibraltar was constantly under a cloud.
I was really dissapointed at the place and maybe as the other posters said, it is better not to live there, but maybe only work.
Gib suffers from the levante cloud so one has to accept it as it is.

Great place for children and very safe.

But for grownups who are used to freedom of movement Im not sure.

I lived there for a few months many years ago and I moved to Spain for the simple fact that you cannot always get out.

And when that happens many times you start to feel a little trapped.

Border issues!!!!!!! Cant see that changing soon.

Lovely place though and its all not concrete if you look hard enough.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Isakat
It was claustrophobic in 1963 and can't have got any bigger, lots more houses and people but on the same space. It also has a habit of getting covered in sea fog which closes the airport. Very easy to commute from Spain.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
It was claustrophobic in 1963 and can't have got any bigger, lots more houses and people but on the same space. It also has a habit of getting covered in sea fog which closes the airport. Very easy to commute from Spain.
Gib has got much bigger through reclamation of land.

Not sure if this is good as reclamationl has in some areas been made up of rubbish tips.

I lived on Eastern beach in an old hotel which should have been condemned then 1993.

Its still there now.

By the way has the new airport thingy been scrapped cos it seems unfeasible to me.

But I love the place.

Unique in every sense.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
It was claustrophobic in 1963 and can't have got any bigger,
It has

They keep reclaiming land from the sea much to the annoyance of Spain who claim that when the ceded Gib to the British it was only the land no sea.

The Westside reclamation in the late 70's increased the land size of Gib by 6%

There continues to be reclamation, the Eastside has been an ongoing proposal since at least 1980 :-

http://marinaprojects.com/news/2006/...ect-gibraltar/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAiNTmwVIKs
Old May 1st 2010, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I lived on Eastern beach in an old hotel which should have been condemned then 1993.

Its still there now.
Unfortunately.
They are building the new frontier access across the back of it, then a tunnel under the end of the runway and on to the new airport building and the frontier crossing.

Originally Posted by paintermujer
By the way has the new airport thingy been scrapped cos it seems unfeasible to me.
Of course not, someone has to help the Spanish employment problem.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Unfortunately.
They are building the new frontier access across the back of it, then a tunnel under the end of the runway and on to the new airport building and the frontier crossing.

Of course not, someone has to help the Spanish employment problem.
This is still a small area although they wont be pulling down much.

Can you imagine the chaos.

Cant see it still.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From the upper rock looking towards Spain

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6815117
Old May 4th 2010, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Eggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all - especially Fred. So far a beer or wine is coming your way. Thanks all for taking the time.
Old May 4th 2010, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I like my wine brown and fizzy with a hint of hops