British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Gibraltar debate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/gibraltar-debate-894917/)

Retired in Euskadi Apr 4th 2017 7:11 am

Gibraltar debate

In typical Sun style, I couldn't help but smile at this which appeared in today's online edition:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...3-200dpi-1.pdf

johnnyone Apr 4th 2017 7:26 am

Re: Gibraltar debate

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi (Post 12220927)
In typical Sun style, I couldn't help but smile at this which appeared in today's online edition:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...3-200dpi-1.pdf

Quite funny on BBC breakfast this morning when reviewing the papers. It was pointed out that whilst the Sun's headline was " Up yours Senors" on the same page the were promoting cheap holidays to Spain.

amideislas Apr 4th 2017 10:10 am

Do you reckon Gib can accommodate a million or so "Britain in the sun" holidaymakers diverted from Costa del Brit? Better start building some cheesy hotels on that rock.

Tadd1966 Apr 4th 2017 11:33 am

The Sun newspaper is a disgrace (like many other UK tabloids) and why people buy this trash is beyond me

Some of the headlines over the years have been shocking and an embarrassment to any normal human being

All they do is incite hatred and they do not speak for all in the UK

Retired in Euskadi Apr 4th 2017 2:39 pm

Maybe true, but it does occasionally encapsulate the moment in a short phrase or word.
Remember the headline when Saddam Hussein was captured: "Gottcha".
I don't suppose there's any newspaper that speaks for all in the UK; it would not be possible.
What you say could equally be applied to The Star, Daily Express & Daily Mail.

Tadd1966 Apr 4th 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi (Post 12221290)
Maybe true, but it does occasionally encapsulate the moment in a short phrase or word.
Remember the headline when Saddam Hussein was captured: "Gottcha".
I don't suppose there's any newspaper that speaks for all in the UK; it would not be possible.
What you say could equally be applied to The Star, Daily Express & Daily Mail.

Yes it does apply to most of the UK tabloids.

Even the "Gottcha" quote was a disgrace and encapsulating does nothing for me just glorifying war and the so called righteousness of the action in Iraq which some deem was illegal

Surely these well educated journalists can come up with a more balanced and appropriate headline instead of the antagonising loutish comments they come up with

amideislas Apr 4th 2017 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tadd1966 (Post 12221113)
The Sun newspaper is a disgrace (like many other UK tabloids) and why people buy this trash is beyond me

Some of the headlines over the years have been shocking and an embarrassment to any normal human being

All they do is incite hatred and they do not speak for all in the UK

Unfortunately, the Sun, Daily Mail, Express are the top read rags in Britain. Explains volumes about Britain's "unique" views, really.

tuhler Apr 4th 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12221551)
Unfortunately, the Sun, Daily Mail, Express are the top read rags in Britain. Explains volumes about Britain's "unique" views, really.

A friend of mine worked for one of these papers
When he turned up for his shift he would be given a number of headlines...his job to write a story to support each headline...on 85k a year..what do you do...you write it...do not bother with the truth...just do not slander anyone(sic)

amideislas Apr 4th 2017 8:52 pm

They can always write a 20-word retraction in 6 pt type at the bottom of page 7.That keeps it legal. I've read that the daily mail is forced to print more retractions than any other rag in Britain, but just looking at the typical express headlines, I'd expect the express to wear that crown.

No worries, they all print bollox. I can't believe they're so popular. Maybe I just give people too much credit.

Loafing Along Apr 5th 2017 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12221551)

Yes Minister :

Sir Humphrey: The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices.
Jim Hacker: Don't tell me about the Press. I know *exactly* who reads the papers.
The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country.
The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country.
The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country.
The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country.
The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.
Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?
Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big tits.

Fredbargate Apr 5th 2017 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12221070)
Do you reckon Gib can accommodate a million or so "Britain in the sun" holidaymakers diverted from Costa del Brit? Better start building some cheesy hotels on that rock.

Don't worry about the holiday makers Ami it's the expat's running for cover that may have some problems.
Especially the one who have already expressed anti-Gib sentiment on these pages.

As Minister of Information I have a good say in who is and more who is not allowed to enter.;)

billgates Apr 5th 2017 7:59 pm

So seeing as Brexit is actually going to happen, are the Gibraltarians going to:

1. Embrace and accept the referendum result, and therefore back the Brexit negotiations team and get the best possible deal for Britain outside of the EU

2. Be resolutely against Brexit, believe the referendum should be re-run hoping for a different result, do everything they can to derail the negotiations and keep Britain a forever divided country

3. Follow Scotland and demand an independence referendum of their own and then (if successful) apply to join the EU as an independent country

4. Hold a referendum on whether Gibraltar should be returned back to Spain and hoping for a YES result so they can remain part of the EU

EllisG Apr 6th 2017 6:46 am

Originally Posted by billgates (Post 12222466)
So seeing as Brexit is actually going to happen, are the Gibraltarians going to:

1. Embrace and accept the referendum result, and therefore back the Brexit negotiations team and get the best possible deal for Britain outside of the EU

2. Be resolutely against Brexit, believe the referendum should be re-run hoping for a different result, do everything they can to derail the negotiations and keep Britain a forever divided country

3. Follow Scotland and demand an independence referendum of their own and then (if successful) apply to join the EU as an independent country

4. Hold a referendum on whether Gibraltar should be returned back to Spain and hoping for a YES result so they can remain part of the EU

no.1 is the only option as they do not have the sort of influence to derail negotiations unless you count demanding fair treatment as an attempt to derail negotiations

No.3 can't happen as the Treaty of Utrecht gives no path to independence without being given back to Spain first and Spain cannot grant independence without losing the Basques, Catalans and anyone else who wants to break away from Madrid.

No.4 hahahahahahahahaha.....sensible options only please

Fredbargate Apr 6th 2017 7:12 am

Originally Posted by EllisG (Post 12222772)
No.3 can't happen as the Treaty of Utrecht gives no path to independence without being given back to Spain first and Spain cannot grant independence without losing the Basques, Catalans and anyone else who wants to break away from Madrid.

Ellis I have to disagree with you slightly on that point.

Gibraltar can go for independence but only with the agreement of Spain unless the United Nations recognises Gib as a country which Spain has been blocking for around 60 yars.

amideislas Apr 6th 2017 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12222298)
Don't worry about the holiday makers Ami it's the expat's running for cover that may have some problems.
Especially the one who have already expressed anti-Gib sentiment on these pages.

As Minister of Information I have a good say in who is and more who is not allowed to enter.;)

I have serious doubts that anything will happen to Gibraltar in terms of which country it "belongs to". Notwithstanding any of the expectable Brexit consequences, of course. But most of that will be economic.

Gib does have the advantage of being miniscule and rather economically immune. But if the "frontier" becomes overly difficult to cross, it could have some effect.

It's likely that Gib will become increasingly attractive to Brits as a holiday destination, as sterling continues in a downward trajectory, as Spain (and generally, Europe) becomes more expensive for would-be "hols abroad" Brits (and already is becoming so). So there's one big bright spot for Gibraltar. Need more rooms, though...

In any case, it's all just Brexit saber-rattling. Britain really needs to calm down and focus on the task at hand. Gibraltar and blue passports are nothing but unnecessary (and petty) diversions.