Gibraltar

Old Jul 9th 2014, 2:03 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar

Originally Posted by two tubes of toothpaste
What's to laugh at ? You doubt my figures ? They're the same ones Daniel Feetham, opposition leader in Gibraltar, used in his reply to the Gibraltar Government Budget speech in the Gibraltar Parliament on the 1st of July - carefully censored out by our 'Purveyor of all things Honest and Truthful from the Magic Kingdom'.
and now you have posted of course the viewing figures will have shot through the roof.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 9th 2014 at 2:56 pm. Reason: If you cannot keep it civil you will be going on another holiday - this time there will be no return ticket.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

two tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
and yet only a couple of posts ago you were agreeing with me about the way diplomacy works.
You really must get your head round that because something isn't reported in a newspaper it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

and even that headline from the Telegrief uses the words "could be".
And if they refuse a return to the EAW then they will have to go the long way round when they want to get their hands on their own crims.

But if the UK does return to the EAW I hope they run courses on how to use it, IIRC they had more failures due to defective paperwork than they did successes.

So by your logic, I must get my head round the fact that if there are no reports of dragons on the newspapers, it doesn't mean there are no dragons.

I said in the original post that there was "no evidence", not "no evidence in the newspapers".

There is no evidence from archaeology through to zoology that dragons exist(ed). Therefore I wend my way through life safe in the knowledge that however my life is inevitably going to end, it won't be by dragon incremation.

Believing the Spanish could conceivably get concessions from Britain over something as simple as EAW, when other countries are taking a similar stance to Spain's, is like believing in dragons.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 3:12 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by two tubes of toothpaste
So by your logic, I must get my head round the fact that if there are no reports of dragons on the newspapers, it doesn't mean there are no dragons.

I said in the original post that there was "no evidence", not "no evidence in the newspapers".

There is no evidence from archaeology through to zoology that dragons exist(ed). Therefore I wend my way through life safe in the knowledge that however my life is inevitably going to end, it won't be by dragon incremation.

Believing the Spanish could conceivably get concessions from Britain over something as simple as EAW, when other countries are taking a similar stance to Spain's, is like believing in dragons.
You don't believe in dragons (hope you never get to Indonesia)
Because no one has shown you an alien doesn't mean there aren't any

just because no one has shown you one they can't exist - how do you know dragons are not aliens

xxxeditedxxxx

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 9th 2014 at 3:25 pm. Reason: You just don't learn do you. Happy holidays.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

two tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
You don't believe in dragons (hope you never get to Indonesia)
Because no one has shown you an alien doesn't mean there aren't any

just because no one has shown you one they can't exist - how do you know dragons are not aliens

`
That's the whole point.

I can't show you evidence that doesn't exist, nor can the Gibraltar Broadcasting Corporation which had to make it up.

As to viewing figures, you're not doing so badly yourself, you should see the numbers since your post mid-morning !

Fred must be chuffed to muggeridge by the way Gibraltar is being kept uppermost in people's minds.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 9th 2014 at 3:28 pm. Reason: Removed comments in the quote that were deleted in the original post
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Picardo tells El Pais anything other than dialogue would be 'absurd'

The Chief Minister has said it’s “absurd” to consider any other way forward with Spain except dialogue.

In an opinion piece in the Spanish national newspaper El Pais, Fabian Picardo says there’s an absolute lack of dialogue from the Spanish government at the moment, despite Gibraltar’s willingness to participate in ad hoc talks.

The Chief Minister blames the breakdown of relations between Spain and Gibraltar, on a Spanish government that discarded a Trilateral Forum to which both Gibraltar and the UK remain firmly committed.

Fabian Picardo says his government has fulfilled its part in the Cordoba Agreements Gibraltar signed with Spain. He highlights the UK’s payment of nearly 150 million pounds to Spanish pensioners who worked in Gibraltar before the frontier was closed, as well as the construction of an airport that was to be shared with Spain. Despite this, he says, Gibraltar suffers “arbitrary and exasperating” frontier queues, propaganda over its tobacco trade, and attempts to cover up the EU Commission’s recognition of Gibraltar as a well regulated financial centre. He also cites attacks on the construction of groynes for beach protection and an artificial reef for marine preservation, not unlike the 130 such reefs that exist in Spain.

Mr Picardo says it’s time to talk about what unites us, not insist on what divides us – to work to create employment and better the lives of citizens on both sides of the border. History, he says, will not pardon those who resist this modern and progressive attitude.

GBC | Gibraltar Broadcasting Corporation
Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the interview of the Gib head Honcho yesterday for the first 20 mins.
While my Spanish is poor it appeared that it was just the same old BS. cigarettes, blocks, fishermens´ wives, tax evasion and misquoted facts!
The only thing that wasn´t mentioned was the damage done to the UK economy due to the untold Millions of cigarettes brought back from the Canary islands!
I cannot understand why Spain allows this situation to continue!
M
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are Gibraltar playing Scotland in Portugal when you have that lovely new stadia, or is it not built yet ?

Im lost on this as everyone here in expat land does not believe me about the stadium, I thought it was built for the qualifiers, is it not built? if not, why not, not the building of the century !!!
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Why are Gibraltar playing Scotland in Portugal when you have that lovely new stadia, or is it not built yet ?
It's not built yet and there are objections delaying planning permission
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
It's not built yet and there are objections delaying planning permission
I can understand if a objection came in for the most ugliest looking building in Gibraltar, but they have allowed worse, seriously though - what are the objections ?

I have been to the Stadio Algarve, it is a piece of art for me, what is the transport situation for the that, flights ???

It is some distance away. If Spain want to be arseholes, surely Tangiers is closer ?

Truly gutted for you as I doubt you will get the support you need.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I can understand if a objection came in for the most ugliest looking building in Gibraltar, but they have allowed worse, seriously though - what are the objections ?
To the best of my knowledge it all revolves around the location.

Gibraltar has very few open space and Europa point is one of the best.

The stadium and it's infrastructure would overwhelm the area.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
I watched the interview of the Gib head Honcho yesterday for the first 20 mins.
While my Spanish is poor it appeared that it was just the same old BS. cigarettes, blocks, fishermens´ wives, tax evasion and misquoted facts!
The only thing that wasn´t mentioned was the damage done to the UK economy due to the untold Millions of cigarettes brought back from the Canary islands!
I cannot understand why Spain allows this situation to continue!
M
Unfortunately I had an MOT on that morning and missed the broadcast.

However below is an except from one of todays newspapers.

Espejo Publica or the ‘Public Mirror’ in English – Gave a False Image!

The Chief Minister’s appearance on the early morning current affairs programme ‘Espejo Publica was typical; inthe manner these programmes are aired it was no great surprise. These type programmes are professionally produced to make Gibraltar and the Chief Minister appear in a negative light. With hand picked panellist, news items that depict a one-dimensional side and possible a viewing audience that would even believe ‘the popes wife was expecting her first child if their Government issued such news in a state broadcast.

The Chief Minister was well prepared and obviously knew what to expect in the theatre of operation he had entered. So yes, in that respect I believe Mr Picardo managed to get Gibraltar’s case across quite clearly. Especially to the Spanish people, particularly those who were willing to listen to Gibraltar’s leader and hear a view from another perspective, one in fact, that concerns and affects their own countrymen in this area of Spain.Mr Picardo told the Spanish Nation, but directed at the Government in Madrid that”It’s time to talk about what unites us and not dwell on what divides us “

Spain Not Politically or Democratically Mature For Serious Dialogue

Unfortunately the Spanish Government and other political groups are not ready, or are politically or democratically mature for any kind of serious dialogue regarding or with Gibraltar. In fact, as we saw in Madrid, there appears to be a juvenile style political conspiracy in the ‘Madrid Cortes’ during the CM’s visit to keep well away from the Chief Minister as if it was of national importance.

Although there is some late news as I write this, that the PSOE party might hold informal talks with the CM today!

If nothing else, Mr Picardo’s venture into the hinterland has ruffled some feathers and riled a few people, and the right people at that!

http://www.panorama.gi/localnews/hea...ticle=12098&of
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

To the best of my knowledge it all revolves around the location.

Gibraltar has very few open space and Europa point is one of the best.

The stadium and it's infrastructure would overwhelm the area.
Build it on a boat, would be an amazing attraction for tourists !

Personally I would knock Morrisons down for a stadium ! or build it on top and Morrisons underneath, I think Spain are very clever at building downwards, the UK as small as it is never gets that.

Just think all that shading the car park would have
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=andyrich666;11332129
Personally I would knock Morrisons down for a stadium ![/QUOTE]

Personally I detest football

The loss of a UK supermarket would leave too much in the hands of the Spanish.

When the frontier closed in 69 there was Liptons here who provide a UK link for food along with supplies bought in from Morocco.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Personally I detest football

The loss of a UK supermarket would leave too much in the hands of the Spanish.

When the frontier closed in 69 there was Liptons here who provide a UK link for food along with supplies bought in from Morocco.
I understand if you detest it, but if you look at USA in the World Cup, suddenly they found there patriotism, other than a war not much brings them together - there are not many things in the world that do that.

Support the football if just to stick one up to Spain !
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

CBF proud of sovereignty patrols by visiting Royal Navy ships

The Commander British Forces, Commodore John Clink, has said he's proud that Royal Navy ships visiting Gibraltar now explicitly state that they're carrying out sovereignty patrols. Speaking to GBC as he prepares to leave the Rock next month on promotion to Rear Admiral, Commodore Clink said the Navy gets a lot of personal satisfaction from steaming its warships and flying the White Ensign through Gibraltar Waters to demonstrate that the waters are British.

He described incursions by Spanish State vessels as "inappropriate behaviour" and "very frustrating".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHhg...ature=youtu.be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.