Gibraltar

Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Paul Gib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gibraltar

Hi Everyone

I am hoping I can get some info regarding Gibraltar.

I am a British citizen considering accepting a job in Gibraltar.
My Fiancee is a US citizen, we are getting married shortly and are now considering doing it in Gibraltar and living there.
(One advantage we can see would be to go for a DCF at the US Madrid Embassy when we are ready to move to the US.)

Does anyone know what immigration rules would apply to our situation?
Would my new wife be able to live and work in Gibraltar because I am British?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar

Originally Posted by Paul Gib
Hi Everyone

My Fiancee is a US citizen, we are getting married shortly and are now considering doing it in Gibraltar and living there.
(One advantage we can see would be to go for a DCF at the US Madrid Embassy when we are ready to move to the US.)

Paul
Hi you may get more response to this complex stuation by posting on HERE (US visas etc) as the people on there are more qualified to answer.
How does the US Madrid Embassy fit into the equation ?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Living and working Gibraltar is no problem for yourself, but I am not too sure about a US citizen.
Is your fiancee allowed multiple entries into Spain as a majority of expats working in Gib live in Spain and commute daily across the frontier due to the high property prices in Gib.?

Information on Gibraltar marriage

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/about_gib/wed_registry.htm

For more information try

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:06 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Living and working Gibraltar is no problem for yourself, but I am not too sure about a US citizen.
Is your fiancee allowed multiple entries into Spain as a majority of expats working in Gib live in Spain and commute daily across the frontier due to the high property prices in Gib.?

Information on Gibraltar marriage

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/about_gib/wed_registry.htm

For more information try

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/
I think the main problem is the entry visa for a US citizen to stay in Europe.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I think the main problem is the entry visa for a US citizen to stay in Europe.
Agreed.

You must remember that the Spanish authorities will consider that each crossing from Gibraltar into Spain will be an entry into Europe as they do not consider Gibraltar to be a member of the EU.
( except when it is in Spains financial favour )
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:28 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Paul
Marriage in Gib is relatively easy providing you have the proper documents (birth, marriage, divorce certs/decrees). Filing DCF in Madrid is also simple though getting all the documents takes some effort. We did both about 5 years ago

Are you planning on residing in Gib or emigrating to the US? No need to file DCF if you are not going there. If you are, there are plenty of sites which can guide you on what is required to get the US visa. You'll find the Marriage Based group helpful in this- search and read, then ask questions as needed.

Another place you may find some helpful info on DCF:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...ustom&page=dcf
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Paul Gib is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
Marriage in Gib is relatively easy providing you have the proper documents (birth, marriage, divorce certs/decrees). Filing DCF in Madrid is also simple though getting all the documents takes some effort. We did both about 5 years ago

Are you planning on residing in Gib or emigrating to the US? No need to file DCF if you are not going there. If you are, there are plenty of sites which can guide you on what is required to get the US visa. You'll find the Marriage Based group helpful in this- search and read, then ask questions as needed.

Another place you may find some helpful info on DCF:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...ustom&page=dcf
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.
Ironporer:
Ideally we are planning on residing in Gibraltar for 18 months to 2 years and would then like to emmigrate to the US.
Questions:
1 - If we marry, would my new US wife be granted residency and permission to work in Gibraltar?
2 - To file DCF in the Madrid US Embassy in the future must we be resident in Spain? Or, as Madrid is the closest US Embassy, would Gibraltar residency be ok?

My main concern at the moment would be the legal status of my fiancee/soon-to-be-wife in Gibraltar.

Thanks again
Paul
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Gibraltar

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.
Ironporer:
Ideally we are planning on residing in Gibraltar for 18 months to 2 years and would then like to emmigrate to the US.
Questions:
1 - If we marry, would my new US wife be granted residency and permission to work in Gibraltar?
2 - To file DCF in the Madrid US Embassy in the future must we be resident in Spain? Or, as Madrid is the closest US Embassy, would Gibraltar residency be ok?

My main concern at the moment would be the legal status of my fiancee/soon-to-be-wife in Gibraltar.

Thanks again
Paul
Paul you are a British citizen so you have rights within the rules to go and reside in Gibralter provided you comply with their residency requirements. Your wife to be will be allowed to accompany you as a visitor but when she becomes your wife I am sure her status will change to dependant and she will be allowed to stay as long as you. If she wants to work it may be more complicated before and after marriage.