Reload this Page >

Gibraltar -3 bed Apartment wanted to rent

Gibraltar -3 bed Apartment wanted to rent

Old Dec 25th 2014, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Fizzwizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gibraltar -3 bed Apartment wanted to rent

Hi All

We arrive in Gibraltar on 2/1/15 where I will be working for GHA.

I require a 3 bed apartment, with some outside space/balcony. Ideally near town, hospital, or marina.

Given the pay decrease from working in the NHS I've taken to work in Gib, I'm looking for something reasonably inexpensive.

Please private message me if you have a property, or suggest somewhere I can look. There's little on an internet search

Many thanks ... Shaun
Old Dec 25th 2014, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar -3 bed Apartment wanted to rent

Originally Posted by Fizzwizz
Hi All

I require a 3 bed apartment, with some outside space/balcony. Ideally near town, hospital, or marina.They are all within spitting distance of each other

Given the pay decrease from working in the NHS I've taken to work in Gib, I'm looking for something reasonably inexpensive.

Please private message me if you have a property, or suggest somewhere I can look. There's little on an internet search

Many thanks ... Shaun
Check out :-http://propertygibraltar.com/
Old Dec 26th 2014, 8:17 am
Just Joined

hertsmas is an unknown quantity at this point

you have taken a pay decrease but moved to a place where rental is a good 2.5 times the cost of say the Costa Tropical , finding a cheap apartment is not likely. I looked at long term rental in Gib and was shocked at the cost. The wierd thing is it bares no relation to purchase costs which considering the special status of Gib are not stupidly high.

Best of Luck
Old Dec 26th 2014, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hertsmas
you have taken a pay decrease but moved to a place where rental is a good 2.5 times the cost of say the Costa Tropical , finding a cheap apartment is not likely. I looked at long term rental in Gib and was shocked at the cost. The wierd thing is it bares no relation to purchase costs which considering the special status of Gib are not stupidly high.

Best of Luck
I have just taken a quick look at sale prices versus rent for a few places in Gib and see that the average asking price for rent is 5% or just above before landlords costs which to me is not a great return.There will of course be a few that are much higher, but that is probably why they are being advertised.

Last year I sold a flat here and put the money into Government debentures at 5% that are tax free and have no problems like poor tennants, maintenance, tax etc.

Property in Gib since the new troubles at the frontier last year have become very popular amongst people who used to live in Spain and commute to work.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:51 am
Just Joined

hertsmas is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to clarify I made no comment re the value of rental returns for landlords.
Of course they don't offer a high percentage return on investment and if a landlord is looking for a great return then he/she is gambling on a capital gain as has fortunately been the case in times past (and possibly future)

I only pointed out the simple fact that a flat that is £1,000 to rent in Gib is no more than £400 on much of the Costa's. The poster just needed to know that it isn't cheap to rent a flat in Gib because it isn't.

It may be considered n anomaly that the price to purchase is actually quite reasonable and the rents quite high. I'm, no expert in Gib of course but can only assume a lot of folk are looking to rent so market forces are at work as is life.

Regards

Mas
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Best of Luck

Regards

Mas
?
Old Dec 31st 2014, 11:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fizzwizz
Hi All

I require a 3 bed apartment, with some outside space/balcony. Ideally near town, hospital, or marina.

Many thanks ... Shaun
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 31st 2014, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they don't offer a high percentage return on investment and if a landlord is looking for a great return then he/she is gambling on a capital gain as has fortunately been the case in times past (and possibly future)

I only pointed out the simple fact that a flat that is £1,000 to rent in Gib is no more than £400 on much of the Costa's. The poster just needed to know that it isn't cheap to rent a flat in Gib because it isn't.

It may be considered n anomaly that the price to purchase is actually quite reasonable and the rents quite high. I'm, no expert in Gib of course but can only assume a lot of folk are looking to rent so market forces are at work as is life.

Regards

Mas
I once had a job offer in Gibraltar, but rental prices really put me off and the lack of outside space available (Salary wasn't great either). I lived in the Channel Islands for a while and it was exactly the same. With limited space, people just get used to these prices and a 1 bed apartment for £800 looks like a bargain. I don't know what would be considered reasonably inexpensive, but at the time we were just happy to find anything decent (1 or 2 bed) under £1000. When I look back now and see the prices today, I find it shocking.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 10:43 am
Just Joined

SamT555 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't envy you - expensive place to rent. Have the GHA stopped subsidizing accommodation for new recruits ? A few years back, it was an absolute necessity due to the precise situation you are facing. If there's no help from GHA, living in La Linea may be your only option.