Gibraltar 2

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:58 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Instead of evacuated from Gib substitute kicked out of Gib by the UK

Portugal's reason foe accepting the Gibraltarians possibly dates back to the Peninsular Wars or even further.

However we also have to thank Jamaica.

The situation at the end of 1940, therefore, was that approximately 2,000 evacuees were in Jamaica and a lesser number in Madeira, with the bulk of around 10,000 housed in the London area

Evacuation of the Gibraltarian civilian population during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However I do not see what this has to do with Portugal being a TAX HAVEN other than the usual diversionary tactics.
I post a little known fact about the co operartion between nations in times of war and you inroduce tax into it.
Methinks you do protest too much.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:00 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
All I am doing is making you aware of the facts and that this happened in WW2, and NOT in WW1 as you claim.

No doubt as always you prefer to put your own personal interpretation on the information, so please feel free to do so.
I have searched for confirmation of the info you posted via wikipedia and cannot find any.
If you can provide this I would be gratefull.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to note that the Anglo- Portuguese Treaty is the oldest active treaty in the World which is still in force.

The Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of 1373 was signed between King Edward III of England and King Ferdinand and Queen Eleanor of Portugal. It established a treaty of "perpetual friendships, unions [and] alliances" between the two seafaring nations. It is the oldest active treaty in the world.

Something for both countries to be proud of I would have thought, in view of the massive amount of turmoil and wars that have happened in between.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jun 2nd 2015 at 7:04 pm. Reason: Add on
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
I wonder how many in Gibraltar know of the debt they owe Portugal.
In july 1940 when the UK evacuated the civilian population 2500 Gibraltarians were given safe haven in Maderia well away from the dangers of war.
Originally Posted by EMR
I post a little known fact about the co operartion between nations in times of war and you inroduce tax into it.
Methinks you do protest too much.
No you did not, you slyly suggested that Gib should be indebted to Portugal.

The type of slant you try to introduce into all your ravings.

However lets look at another aspect.

You appear to spend most of your time roaming through the BE forum posting generall garbage.
That leads me to think that you find Portugal uninteresting, boring and dull.
Now for someone who is possibly going to spend more time abroad than in the UK in the future do you not think that you should pick a country that offers release from this boredom, somewhere that will give you an opportunity to interact instead of aimlessly trawling the internet?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Now I get it.... the Kids went to Jamaica and we took them back after they had gotten a good tan in the 50s, We called them West Indians then and they were quite good at Cricket too. After over 10 years of practice, I suppose that was no surprise.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to note that the Anglo- Portuguese Treaty is the oldest active treaty in the World which is still in force.

The Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of 1373 was signed between King Edward III of England and King Ferdinand and Queen Eleanor of Portugal. It established a treaty of "perpetual friendships, unions [and] alliances" between the two seafaring nations. It is the oldest active treaty in the world.

Something for both countries to be proud of I would have thought, in view of the massive amount of turmoil and wars that have happened in between.
800 years of carving up the world was pure bliss for the Portuguese and English, the longest running Alliance yet.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:24 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
800 years of carving up the world was pure bliss for the Portuguese and English, the longest running Alliance yet.
The alliance got very shaky when the British Empire gave an ultimatum to Portugal in the 1890,,s.
Keep out of those parts of Africa now known as Malawi, Zimbabwe .
If anyone was going to exploit those areas it was going to be us.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:41 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be bad, still the longest running alliance in history, whatever the ups and downs.
Almost eight hundred years, a great target for the EU to try and match, though the way it's performing now, I'll give it another eight at the most in its present form.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:56 am
EMR
Banned

Can't be bad, still the longest running alliance in history, whatever the ups and downs.
Almost eight hundred years, a great target for the EU to try and match, though the way it's performing now, I'll give it another eight at the most in its present form.
Eight years ??
I will put that forcast alongside those who said that the Euro would collapse at least 5 years ago.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 9:53 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by EMR
Eight years ??
I will put that forcast alongside those who said that the Euro would collapse at least 5 years ago.
It's been on the verge of collapse for quite a while now and is only being propped up by some pretty desperate measures.

Those who said it wouldn't work have already been proved correct.

Never mind, it's a pretty good exchange rate for anyone wanting to spend their Sterling in Europe.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:01 am
EMR
Banned

It's been on the verge of collapse for quite a while now and is only being propped up by some pretty desperate measures.

Those who said it wouldn't work have already been proved correct.

Never mind, it's a pretty good exchange rate for anyone wanting to spend their Sterling in Europe.
The same measures taken by the UK and US governments, would you call those dseperate measures ?
The exchange rate is not just good for tourists but also for Eurozone exporters as their products now cost less.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:12 am
On the road again.

So why not let it collapse altogether and finish the job if it's such a marvellous idea ?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:15 am
EMR
Banned

So why not let it collapse altogether and finish the job if it's such a marvellous idea ?
Wpuld you have wanted the BOE to let sterling collapse during our banking crisis or the Fed during theirs ??
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:36 am
On the road again.

Moving the goalposts again, I see.
I thought we were talking about the Euro which is a very different kettle of fish under prevailing circumstances
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:48 pm
EMR
Banned

Moving the goalposts again, I see.
I thought we were talking about the Euro which is a very different kettle of fish under prevailing circumstances
Hardly if the ECB follows the examples of the US and Uk and sees the improvements in the Eurozone economy that the UK achieved ,how is that a bad thing .
There arecalready signs of a recovery in the Eurozone,small they mzy be but it took years before the UK recovered.
Are suggesting that a stronger Euro and recovering Euro zone are a bad thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.