Gibraltar 2

Old Nov 15th 2023, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

This article was written before Gibraltar's general election, by a Spanish journalist for a Spanish newspaper.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Nov 15th 2023 at 6:02 am.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 7:01 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
This article was written before Gibraltar's general election, by a Spanish journalist for a Spanish newspaper.
I see your powers of observation are as sharp as ever, but why should that matter? It's an interview in Q&A format conducted in a language that Picardo speaks so there's little room for translation errors or making stuff up if you're trying to imply that.

Last edited by DLC; Nov 15th 2023 at 7:05 am.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
I see your powers of observation are as sharp as ever, but why should that matter? It's an interview in Q&A format conducted in a language that Picardo speaks so there's little room for translation errors or making stuff up if you're trying to imply that.
But there is room for bias on the part of the reporter
Old Nov 15th 2023, 12:27 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the reporter's questions it seems they follow on from Picardo's previous answers and he volunteered the "hasta los cojones" quote on his own.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

35 individuals refused access from Gibraltar into Spain in one day

Published by GBC News

Around 35 people were refused entry into Spain from Gibraltar yesterday, with more individuals reporting on social media that they have received the same treatment today.

Most of those refused entry were British nationals and holders of the blue and magenta Gibraltar Civilian Registration Cards.

The Borders and Coastguard Agency says a Gibraltarian was refused entry to Spain for failing to produce a Gibraltar red ID card.

A Ukrainian national resident in Gibraltar was also refused entry into Spain.

Most were asked for the reason of their visit to Spain and for flights or hotel bookings.

The Agency says it's not aware of any British national who presented their passport and a Gibraltar red ID card, and also asked to provide reasons for travel.

The Government says it understands that the existing status quo has not changed and that Gibraltar red ID card holders will not be required to stamp their passports when crossing the border to travel within Spain
Old Nov 15th 2023, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, Spain controlling it's borders - should chime well with Brexiteers.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 7:22 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

The red card is an ID card and the blue card is a residency card. So I can't see too much wrong with Spain turning someone back if they don't have any ID or if they just have a residency card without any accompanying ID/passport.
Old Nov 16th 2023, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DLC
The red card is an ID card and the blue card is a residency card. So I can't see too much wrong with Spain turning someone back if they don't have any ID or if they just have a residency card without any accompanying ID/passport.
Where in the article does it say these people did not have passports?
Unlike yourself I mix with these people, one of whom was the landlord of my local.
People living in Gibraltar have endured years of abuse by the Spanish border personnel and except with the occasional lapse go to the frontier fully equiped.

However I will admit these actions in the recent past have been far less frequent than in the days when Gib along with the UK were part of the EU and hours of queuing were the norm.

Old Nov 16th 2023, 11:46 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

96% of Gibraltarians voted remain so clearly a very smart population that isn't easily duped.

At the end of the day though if you're not part of the Schengen zone then there will be a border. Seems like political issues are causing Spain to treat this border like the Ceuta one...
Old Nov 16th 2023, 11:49 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

Where in the article does it say these people did not have passports?
They didn't have passports because Spain doesn't even need to see blue cards as it's a temporary residency card for Gibraltar's use only not an international travel document. Spain will not ask for someone's blue card for the same reason it will not ask for someone's library card.

All Spain needs to see is the passport. If they showed a blue card, it wasn't what Spain needed to see. The reply would have been to show the passport. If they couldn't show it, they didn't have it on them.

It's as if someone tried to get into the Poland from Belarus with just a Belarusian residency card and complained it wasn't accepted.

Last edited by DLC; Nov 16th 2023 at 11:58 am.
Old Nov 16th 2023, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DLC
They didn't have passports because Spain doesn't even need to see blue cards as it's a temporary residency card for Gibraltar's use only not an international travel document. Spain will not ask for someone's blue card for the same reason it will not ask for someone's library card.

All Spain needs to see is the passport. If they showed a blue card, it wasn't what Spain needed to see. The reply would have been to show the passport. If they couldn't show it, they didn't have it on them.

It's as if someone tried to get into the Poland from Belarus with just a Belarusian residency card and complained it wasn't accepted.
So the two blokes I had a drink with earlier tonight who came out from UK to celebrate Rememberance Day didn't have passports?
They decided earlier today to nip over to Spain for a drink and a meal but were turned back at the frontier.
You really have no idea do you.

Spain is turning away people with passports.

But of course you know better.
🤣

People with passports and Red ID cards are crossing. Other passport holders are being turned back whether they have blue ID cards or not.
But this is beyond your comprehension.
I will repeat where in the linked article did it say those turned back had no passports?

Last edited by Fredbargate; Nov 16th 2023 at 7:20 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2023, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

So the two blokes I had a drink with earlier tonight who came out from UK to celebrate Rememberance Day didn't have passports?
They decided earlier today to nip over to Spain for a drink and a meal but were turned back at the frontier.
You really have no idea do you.

That sounds really bizarre Fred.

Are you saying these two blokes tried to enter Spain on foot earlier today, showed their UK passports to Spanish border police who then refused them entry into Spain for no reason at all?

That sounds very strange. What was the reason given? Was it because they were not carrying their return tickets or proof of adequate funds? In all my years of going in and out of Gibraltar, I have never heard of anything like that before.

You definitely need to crack on with that Schengen application.
Old Nov 16th 2023, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
That sounds really bizarre Fred.

Are you saying these two blokes tried to enter Spain on foot earlier today, showed their UK passports to Spanish border police who then refused them entry into Spain for no reason at all?

That sounds very strange. What was the reason given? Was it because they were not carrying their return tickets or proof of adequate funds? In all my years of going in and out of Gibraltar, I have never heard of anything like that before.

You definitely need to crack on with that Schengen application.
No. I think Spain is just closing a "backdoor" into Europe... They have EU directives/laws to follow just like every other EU country with non EU borders; some are building walls...

Keeps the rif-raf out....

I would guess this is also hearsay or from a periodical from the rock that copies the Sun or Daily Mail on the island; could even be the same owner of said "newspapers"
Old Nov 16th 2023, 11:28 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

So if I'm a tourist with a UK passport trying to cross over to Spain (with none of this red/blue ID card stuff), then they wouldn't let me in/pass through?
Old Nov 17th 2023, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by astera
So if I'm a tourist with a UK passport trying to cross over to Spain (with none of this red/blue ID card stuff), then they wouldn't let me in/pass through?
That is what is happening.

However I am not sure this is happening to all.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Nov 17th 2023 at 7:25 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.