Gibraltar 2

Old Apr 20th 2022, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by SanNico
The irony is that you are trolling the Spanish sub forum of an expat site to spout your Spanish hatred.
Then ask one of your moderator's to reinstate the Gibraltar sub forum

Also if you look back you will see many helpful posts in the 10,000+I have made since Feb 2007

As to your comment about posts on Spanish hatred they are geberally in reply to the hatred aimed at Gibraltar from the Expats residing in Spain
Old Apr 20th 2022, 10:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Gibraltar is not a sub forum but a thread the same as any other. Originally it was in the SubForum that was called Siesta but when that was closed the thread was moved into the general Spain forum. It will not become a sub forum.

Rosemary
Old Apr 20th 2022, 9:13 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Gibraltar is not a sub forum but a thread the same as any other. Originally it was in the SubForum that was called Siesta but when that was closed the thread was moved into the general Spain forum. It will not become a sub forum.

Rosemary
Hola,
I feel this thread is getting unwieldy, would it be better to close it and open a new thread "Gibraltar 3" ?

Davexf
Old Apr 21st 2022, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Award-winning comedian Alan Carr is to perform his new show "Regional Trinket" at St Michael's Cave in October.

https://www.gbc.gi/news/award-winnin...s-cave-october

Old May 17th 2022, 7:52 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Article in the Chronicle about where the agreement between Gibraltar and Spain (or UK and EU, pick your poison) is at the moment.

I linked directly to the image as it's easier to zoom.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FS6UNjqW...jpg&name=large

It seems Spain is holding out quite an olive branch to the UK but maybe one day that patience will come to an end if there is no formal agreement within a reasonable time (see also, driving licences).

Last edited by DLC; May 17th 2022 at 7:59 am.
Old May 17th 2022, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Boomerang issue strikes again.
Anytime boris need to divert attention from domestic troubles, he goes poking NI deal.
If he breaks NI deal, all deals with EU are canceled. There wont be any Gib deal either.
Old May 18th 2022, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DLC
Article in the Chronicle about where the agreement between Gibraltar and Spain (or UK and EU, pick your poison) is at the moment.

I linked directly to the image as it's easier to zoom.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FS6UNjqW...jpg&name=large

It seems Spain is holding out quite an olive branch to the UK but maybe one day that patience will come to an end if there is no formal agreement within a reasonable time (see also, driving licences).
Perhaps you can explain this Olive Branch

Anyone in the UK with a British passport can take a trip to Calais for lunch and return the same day
People in Gibraltar with a British passport who do not hold a RED ID CARD cannot take a trip to Spain for lunch and return the same day.
N.B. to hold a RED ID CARD if not born in Gibraltar of Gibraltarian parents you have to have been a resident for ten years or more
They have to book a hotel for the night and pay up front
Last weekend there was a woman who had a wedding invite, she dutifully booked her hotel accommodation but was turned back at the frontier because she had not prepaid for it.
The booking was to pay at the hotel.

Someone in UK can move to Gibraltar and ship their belongings overland to Gibraltar
However someone in Gibraltar who wants to move to UK can only transport their belongings to UK by sea freight.
Even though the truck in the first instance returns overland to the UK

It would appear that this so called Union of Europe has different rules in Spain and France

Spanish Olive Branch

I am glad I voted for BREXIT and would not hesitate to do so again.

Old May 18th 2022, 10:55 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

The red ID card is for Gibraltarians and they can still get into Spain without having their passport stamped. The problem is for people with the blue residency card - non-Gibratarians resident in Gibraltar. You're literally complaining about foreign nationals not being able to get into Spain just by waving a residency card issued by Gibraltar at Spanish border control so they can have lunch. Imagine a Philippine national resident in Spain waltzing into Gibraltar with just their TIE... place your bets on how far they'd get.

Cast your mind back to when this started - October 2021. What happened then? The UK stopped accepting DNIs from Spanish citizens and they had to travel with a passport and get it stamped. Action and reaction - Spain could have made Gibratarians pay as well, but they reciprocated just for Gibraltan residents (i.e. the great majority of them UK citizens) who also had to start travelling with a passport and get it stamped.

Spain has now become more meticulous over Schengen rules presumably because they've offered special dispensation for the past year and a half which suits the UK but then negotiations show no sign of ending (like driving licences). However France could also demand the same proof any time it wanted - imagine what could happen were something to kick off over the Northern Ireland Protocol... and it looks very much like the British government wants something to kick off over the Northern Ireland Protocol.

Last edited by DLC; May 18th 2022 at 11:15 am.
Old May 18th 2022, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Perhaps you can explain this Olive Branch

Anyone in the UK with a British passport can take a trip to Calais for lunch and return the same day
People in Gibraltar with a British passport who do not hold a RED ID CARD cannot take a trip to Spain for lunch and return the same day.
N.B. to hold a RED ID CARD if not born in Gibraltar of Gibraltarian parents you have to have been a resident for ten years or more
They have to book a hotel for the night and pay up front
You've piqued my curiosity with this one. Are you saying if I come to Gib this summer, which I'm thinking of doing to understand a bit more about it, I can't pop across the border at my leisure? Or are you saying only those with the red/blue card must stay overnight in Spain? If the latter, can't they just show their passports just they do in the Calais example?
How about for dinner? If they stay past midnight can they get back in or must it be 24 hours?
Old May 18th 2022, 1:01 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

There are three things Spain can ask for if you're a tourist at the border.
  • Proof of return travel.
  • Proof of stay (paid hotel booking, carta de invitación, title deeds/rent contract).
  • Proof of funds.

If you're just on a day trip by foot then it's difficult to provide the first two.
Old May 18th 2022, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanNico
You've piqued my curiosity with this one. Are you saying if I come to Gib this summer, which I'm thinking of doing to understand a bit more about it, I can't pop across the border at my leisure? Or are you saying only those with the red/blue card must stay overnight in Spain? If the latter, can't they just show their passports just they do in the Calais example?
How about for dinner? If they stay past midnight can they get back in or must it be 24 hours?
If you have Spanish residence then you can come and go as you like

However if you are British and live in Gibraltar then you have to have a Red ID card which generally requires that you have been here for at least ten years ( better explanationn in post 1822 )
Unlike the situation with France who do not apply any of these trumped up excuses.

Despite the crap being posted by others, anyone with documented residence in the EU should be able to cross freely.

No other residents of anywhere else in the world are allowed to cross. This recently upset some very important American Military personel visiting from Rota who were denied permission to cross.
Hopefully the Yanks will now consider moving their base from Rota to Gib

Please note I obtained my Red ID card by being married to a Gibraltarian.

Old May 18th 2022, 2:10 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

Despite the crap being posted by others, anyone with documented residence in the EU should be able to cross freely.
What I said above does not contradict this.

No other residents of anywhere else in the world are allowed to cross. This recently upset some very important American Military personel visiting from Rota who were denied permission to cross.
Hopefully the Yanks will now consider moving their base from Rota to Gib.
Apparently they were warned on their way in that they didn't have what was needed to get out.

Los controles Schengen bloquean en Gibraltar a un general estadounidense destinado en Portugal

Seems unless the embassy arranges things, soldiers aren't allowed to cross borders, and the embassy didn't arrange things.

La embajada EEUU conocía desde primeros de año el paso irregular de sus militares a Gibraltar
Old May 18th 2022, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

To be sure I understood as my trip includes residents and EU residents outside of Spain and non-EU residents with UK and American passports :

Spanish residents - OK but I would probably need to show my passport and get it stamped.
Gib residents with a red card - OK and no passport stamp required.
Gib residents with a blue card and non EU passport - Prove they meet one of the 3 requirements mentioned above, show passport and get it stamped.
Gib residents with a blue card and EU passport - Show passport, get it stamped, no need to prove anything.
EU residents - Show passport, get it stamped, no need to prove anything.
Non-EU residents - Show passport, get it stamped and meet one of the 3 requirements mentioned above.

If I do understand the what's the issue? A day tripper from UK to France would get a stamp in their passport and have to meet one of the 3 requirements as well. Just the same as someone crossing in and out of the Schengen zone or any land border anywhere else outside the Schengen zone. For example, USA to Canada or Mexico. Every time I visit the UK we have to meet the requirements as my better half has a non EU and non UK passport.

I'm assuming Brexit has nothing to do with this otherwise Gib would have been a hot spot for migrants to get a visa to enter Gib and then do a runner in to the EU and vice versa.
Old May 18th 2022, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the Yanks will now consider moving their base from Rota to Gib

Please note I obtained my Red ID card by being married to a Gibraltarian.
The "yanks" as you call them will never leave Spain... Plus, the "rock" could not handle the influx unless they create more land and I do not see that happening.

You are not even from the UK? all this gibberish about your home...
Old May 18th 2022, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Easy solution to all this. Give Gibraltar back to Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.