British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Gibraltar 2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/gibraltar-2-a-854360/)

Fredbargate May 2nd 2015 7:15 am

Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Maybe1day (Post 11634790)
And Getting back to Gib for expats!
What are the queues like these days Fred? Do the coaches get fast laned ?
M

Good question

I look at the queues on the following webcam

Webcam - Alcaidesa Marina - Marinas in Andalucia, Marinas in the Straits of Gibraltar, Marinas in Costa del Sol

and personally they appear to be getting longer, starting earlier i.e. no break between the morning workers rush hour and the tourist queue starting. Also lasting longer into the day

The buses now have to queue with all the other traffic.

However yesterday there was a 45 minute queue for the BA flight from LHR to MAN to taxi onto the runway so all is relevent ;)

jimenato May 2nd 2015 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Maybe1day (Post 11634790)
And Getting back to Gib for expats!
What are the queues like these days Fred? Do the coaches get fast laned ?
M

Flying into Gib tomorrow - I'll let you know...:(

la mancha May 2nd 2015 5:12 pm

Just like to comment and wonder what others think.

Not so long ago PDT was a hive of activity. Posters posted their views not only on one but sometimes more than one thread running in PDT. Most of the posters were regulars but I imagine there were many on BE who just enjoyed reading the posts. Many of the threads ran off-topic, sometimes for days; that was par for the course, but they always returned to topic at the end of the day. I think, and tell me if I am wrong, that everyone who contributed got something off their chests, and those on BE who read but did not contribute, also got something out of it.

I say this because I was involved in a discussion on here over a topic which runs contrary to the main thread, but was a subject brought up by a poster and it ran away off-topic, but was always destined to return when we ran out of things to say. I noticed that the PDT viewing ratings rose considerably for the short time this discussion ran. Did anyone else notice this? I see today that PDT has only three posts, the last this morning. Looking back I also see that the last thread on PDT was answered on April 6, nearly a month ago! And before that March 12. Yes, March 12! And before that Feb 26! I remember not that long ago when PDT never went five minutes without a post on multiple threads.

My point is, and I am not criticising the poster who said to get back on topic because they didn’t actually say that, when a thread runs off-topic, why does someone have to remind us to get back on-topic? I read many posts on BE that I do not agree with but I browse through them to see if there is anything I can learn from them. I hope someone learnt something from the brief interlude on Fred’s Gib thread re the Cuban Missile Crisis. It was never intended to run and run, and I am sure many on BE will be looking in today to see if anything has been added since last night. So why not encourage it by joining in or staying silent instead of killing it? Okay, one may say start another thread if you want to talk on another subject, to which I say the recent discussion I was involved in was never intended to run and run, only to live and die within a short time span.

Come on PDT’ers, live a little; go off-topic without fear of someone telling you to go back to the original thread. It won’t be forever. And to those who begrudge someone having a discussion, just brush over it, as I do on other threads, and let’s try and breathe a little life back into PDT without someone killing it stone dead.

And I say to Fred, without your thread on Gib, PDT would be dead and buried by now.

Maybe1day May 2nd 2015 5:25 pm

Ok to get back to deterrents, why shouldn't Iran have a nuclear deterrent, especially as one of the countries responsable for aggression against it has nuclear arms. Egypt also has chemical and biological weapons, however if their neighbours have nukes why shouldn't they be equally armed?

Sorry about Gib just fancied a fag and F n C run.

la mancha May 2nd 2015 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Maybe1day (Post 11635089)
Ok to get back to deterrents, why shouldn't Iran have a nuclear deterrent, especially as one of the countries responsable for aggression against it has nuclear arms. Egypt also has chemical and biological weapons, however if their neighbours have nukes why shouldn't they be equally armed?

If you recall, my discussion was related to Trident as the subject was brought up regarding the possibility of Trident using Gib as a home base. This ran onto the Cuban Missile Crisis and the threat of nuclear war.

I do not remember the posts referring to who should and who should not have nuclear weapons, do you? That was not a referral point to the Gib thread. Trident was. You now want to discuss whether Iran and Egypt should or should not have a nuclear deterrent. This has no relation at all to my discussion on the Gib thread regarding Trident. Go off-topic, by all means, but it has to do with the original thread in some concept, don’t you think?

What is your point?

Dick Dasterdly May 2nd 2015 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Maybe1day (Post 11635089)

The more counties that have them the greater the risk of a worldwide catastrophe.
The more countries that have them with a recent history of unstable regimes the even greater risk of a world wide tragedy.
I hope that in itself answers your question.

Fortunately the countries which have had them to date appear to have acted with a reasonable sense of responsibility regarding their possible use, though I'm not so sure that Russia can safely be included in that category with a guy with Putins record at the helm, bearing in mind his repeated sabre rattling about the power they have at their disposal in the form of nukes during the last few years.
It's only a few weeks ago they threatened to nuke part of the Danish Navy.

In any event I fear it's only a matter of time before one or more get into the wrong/irresponsible hands and I hope I'm not still around when that happens, though I do fear for the future of my family and civilisation in general such as we know it at present.

I tend to agree with La Mancha. If the nuclear debate is to continue maybe it's deserving of its own thread.

Fredbargate May 2nd 2015 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11635084)

Not so long ago PDT was a hive of activity. Posters posted their views not only on one but sometimes more than one thread running in PDT. Most of the posters were regulars but I imagine there were many on BE who just enjoyed reading the posts. Many of the threads ran off-topic, sometimes for days; that was par for the course, but they always returned to topic at the end of the day.

Dogmatism has ruined PDT if not the majority of this forum

Maybe1day May 3rd 2015 6:39 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11635100)
If you recall, my discussion was related to Trident as the subject was brought up regarding the possibility of Trident using Gib as a home base. This ran onto the Cuban Missile Crisis and the threat of nuclear war.

I do not remember the posts referring to who should and who should not have nuclear weapons, do you? That was not a referral point to the Gib thread. Trident was. You now want to discuss whether Iran and Egypt should or should not have a nuclear deterrent. This has no relation at all to my discussion on the Gib thread regarding Trident. Go off-topic, by all means, but it has to do with the original thread in some concept, don’t you think?

What is your point?

Very much tongue in cheek and another tenuous step further especially as the operational keys would not be in the hands of Gibraltar or even the UK if I have read correctly. Trident based in Gib would be to Rajoy like the singeing of the kings' beard in Cadiz a few centuries ago.

Maybe1day May 3rd 2015 6:58 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11635084)

Not so long ago PDT was a hive of activity. Posters posted their views not only on one but sometimes more than one thread running in PDT. Most of the posters were regulars but I imagine there were many on BE who just enjoyed reading the posts. Many of the threads ran off-topic, sometimes for days; that was par for the course, but they always returned to topic at the end of the day. I think, and tell me if I am wrong, that everyone who contributed got something off their chests, and those on BE who read but did not contribute, also got something out of it.

I say this because I was involved in a discussion on here over a topic which runs contrary to the main thread, but was a subject brought up by a poster and it ran away off-topic, but was always destined to return when we ran out of things to say. I noticed that the PDT viewing ratings rose considerably for the short time this discussion ran. Did anyone else notice this? I see today that PDT has only three posts, the last this morning. Looking back I also see that the last thread on PDT was answered on April 6, nearly a month ago! And before that March 12. Yes, March 12! And before that Feb 26! I remember not that long ago when PDT never went five minutes without a post on multiple threads.

My point is, and I am not criticising the poster who said to get back on topic because they didn’t actually say that, when a thread runs off-topic, why does someone have to remind us to get back on-topic? I read many posts on BE that I do not agree with but I browse through them to see if there is anything I can learn from them. I hope someone learnt something from the brief interlude on Fred’s Gib thread re the Cuban Missile Crisis. It was never intended to run and run, and I am sure many on BE will be looking in today to see if anything has been added since last night. So why not encourage it by joining in or staying silent instead of killing it? Okay, one may say start another thread if you want to talk on another subject, to which I say the recent discussion I was involved in was never intended to run and run, only to live and die within a short time span.

Come on PDT’ers, live a little; go off-topic without fear of someone telling you to go back to the original thread. It won’t be forever. And to those who begrudge someone having a discussion, just brush over it, as I do on other threads, and let’s try and breathe a little life back into PDT without someone killing it stone dead.

And I say to Fred, without your thread on Gib, PDT would be dead and buried by now.

Maybe Many have moved on, from Thursdays' local rag, in the last few years 90,000 foreigners have left the CdS without deregistering, and the registered ones? I guess the other Costas are similar. Diminishing numbers will add to a visible lack of interest too !

jimenato May 4th 2015 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 11634869)
Flying into Gib tomorrow - I'll let you know...:(

No queue walking or driving out at 11.00 on Sunday.

No queue walking in, short queue driving in at same time.

Fredbargate May 4th 2015 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 11636788)
No queue walking or driving out at 11.00 on Sunday.

No queue walking in, short queue driving in at same time.

Monday was very different three and a half hours

GBC - Gibraltar News - GBC TV and Radio Gibraltar

jimenato May 5th 2015 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 11636858)
Monday was very different three and a half hours

GBC - Gibraltar News - GBC TV and Radio Gibraltar

Is there ever a walking queue going in? We have to fly out later in the week...

Fredbargate May 5th 2015 9:21 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 11637122)
Is there ever a walking queue going in? We have to fly out later in the week...

Occasionally

But as I don't cross and there is no webcam it is difficult to be sure

EMR May 5th 2015 10:00 am

There is a new thread regarding the affects in the very unlikely event of the UK leaving the EU.
Gib would be one of the first places to suffer if this were to happen as who could Gib and the UK apeal to if and when Spain tightened the screw.
The EU has forced Spain into easing border controls how long would these last if the UK left the EU.

Dick Dasterdly May 5th 2015 9:23 pm

By making things even more difficult Spain would simply be shooting itself in the foot again, especially for all those Spanish workers who rely on Gibraltar to allow them to earn a crust.

Rajoy and co have simply been using Gib as a diversion to help take the heat of their own sorry mess, however with any luck at all he will soon be history and I wouldn't expect any future regime to conduct itself in such an inhospitable and offensive manner as this sad shower of sh..