Gibraltar 2

Old Feb 8th 2019, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by criodain
Indeed, right to self determination is important in Gibraltar, as in Northern Ireland, but I still see it as a colony. I'm not saying that as a negative thing, just an observation. Same as Northern Ireland. I'm not one of those people who refuse to recognise Nothern Ireland, but it's essentially a colony to me.
Nice to see that you have the humility to admit you are plain wrong in print šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜
Old Feb 10th 2019, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, right to self determination is important in Gibraltar, as in Northern Ireland, but I still see it as a colony. I'm not saying that as a negative thing, just an observation. Same as Northern Ireland. I'm not one of those people who refuse to recognise Nothern Ireland, but it's essentially a colony to me.
Do you therefore consider Scotland and Wales to be English colonies?
Old Feb 12th 2019, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Neither could be classed as "colonies" but Wales,at present,possibly could be termed "principality" as it does not have it's own Parliament,unlike Gib.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Neither could be classed as "colonies" but Wales,at present,possibly could be termed "principality" as it does not have it's own Parliament,unlike Gib.
Of course Wales has it's own parliament (assembly).
Old Feb 12th 2019, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Wales used to be termed a Principality..Technically it still is, though the Prince of Wales lives in England.

And Wales has the Welsh Assembly, which has the least number of devolved power than their Scottish or NI equivalents.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Feb 12th 2019 at 12:21 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Wales used to be termed a Principality..Technically it still is, though the Prince of Wales lives in England.

And Wales has the Welsh Assembly, which has the least number of devolved power than their Scottish or NI equivalents.
Sorry but I don't understand the direction of your argument. Principality is not a governmental term it's an heraldic anachronism.. The degree of devolution is a red herring. Cornwall is a Dukedom but isn't self governing.
Gibraltar is a self governing British Overseas Territory. Nuff said.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

REVENGE: Spain to turn screws on Gibraltar

The Spanish government has decided to turn the screws on Gibraltar, and already a toughening of its position has become evident.
The revenge comes after 33 years, they say in Spain, as the Spanish had to cede much about Gibraltar in its application to join Europe. There was a country that turned the screws on Spain then, that was the UK. Now, Spain prepares its revenge.

REVENGE: Spain to turn screws on Gibraltar | Gibraltar Panorama
Old Feb 13th 2019, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Human and animal footprints in Gibraltar dunes

The sand sheets in the rampant dunes above Catalan Bay are a relic of the last glaciation, when sea level was up to 120 metres below present levels and a great field of dunes extended eastwards from the base of the Rock. The identified footprints correspond to species which are known, from fossil material, to have inhabited Gibraltar. The identified footprints correspond to Red Deer, Ibex, Aurochs, Leopard and Straight-tusked Elephant. In addition the scientists have found the footprint of a young human (106-126 cm in height), possibly Neanderthal, which dates to around 29 thousand years ago. It would coincide with late Neanderthal dates from Gorhamā€™s Cave.

Human and animal footprints in Gibraltar dunes | Gibraltar Panorama
Old Feb 13th 2019, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Nice to see that you have the humility to admit you are plain wrong in print ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ ļæ½ļæ½
Not wanting to go off topic, but where did I say I was wrong? I said that I think Gibraltar and Northern Ireland are colonies. Ireland was colonised by the British. What other word could you use?
I'm not one of those who refuses to say "Northern Ireland", and only says "the north" or "the north of Ireland". As in, it's obviously part of the UK, or the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" to be precise. Would I like to see a united Ireland one day? Yes, if the people living there were in favour, then yes.
Other than that, I fully accept it's part of the UK/Great Britain, the same as Gibraltar.
I have no issue with anyone in Northern Ireland or Gibraltar who think of themselves as British as someone in Somerset, though I wouldn't really agree with that viewpoint.
Is Gibraltar thought of as a bit of England in the sun?
Just look at the map of Ireland, and the border. Does that look like it's not a colony to you?
I'm not an nationalist either. As some politician once said, you can't eat a flag. But since the DUP have reared their heads since the Brexit vote, it's pretty funny how a lot of people in the UK, in positions of power are clueless about Northern Ireland.

Colony: "A country or area under the full or partial political control of another country and occupied by settlers from that country."

Some Scottish and Welsh might feel that they are colonised.

Last edited by criodain; Feb 13th 2019 at 4:04 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Scotland had their chance a few years ago.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind You are getting out of Europe. You can dig up Queen Victoria and put her back on the throne and live in the illusion that you are still "Top Nation". Meanwhile the rest of the world can get on with theiur lives and ignore the delusional British Empire Loyalists !

Last edited by scot47; Feb 13th 2019 at 4:16 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
REVENGE: Spain to turn screws on Gibraltar

The Spanish government has decided to turn the screws on Gibraltar, and already a toughening of its position has become evident.
The revenge comes after 33 years, they say in Spain, as the Spanish had to cede much about Gibraltar in its application to join Europe. There was a country that turned the screws on Spain then, that was the UK. Now, Spain prepares its revenge.

REVENGE: Spain to turn screws on Gibraltar | Gibraltar Panorama
Does anyone really believe this scaremongering? Even the language used: "REVENGE". It's like something The Sun would do to hype up the lads.
It's almost as hilarious as loyalists in Northern Ireland using loaded language to somehow state their "culture" is under attack by Brussels and Dublin, most of whom wouldn't be able to point out Brussels on a map.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not wanting to go off topic, but where did I say I was wrong? I said that I think Gibraltar and Northern Ireland are colonies. Ireland was colonised by the British. What other word could you use?
I'm not one of those who refuses to say "Northern Ireland", and only says "the north" or "the north of Ireland". As in, it's obviously part of the UK, or the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" to be precise. Would I like to see a united Ireland one day? Yes, if the people living there were in favour, then yes.
Other than that, I fully accept it's part of the UK/Great Britain, the same as Gibraltar.
I have no issue with anyone in Northern Ireland or Gibraltar who think of themselves as British as someone in Somerset, though I wouldn't really agree with that viewpoint.
Is Gibraltar thought of as a bit of England in the sun?
Just look at the map of Ireland, and the border. Does that look like it's not a colony to you?
I'm not an nationalist either. As some politician once said, you can't eat a flag. But since the DUP have reared their heads since the Brexit vote, it's pretty funny how a lot of people in the UK, in positions of power are clueless about Northern Ireland.

Colony: "A country or area under the full or partial political control of another country and occupied by settlers from that country."

Some Scottish and Welsh might feel that they are colonised.
You repeated the false statement that Gibraltar and NI are are colonies- which is just WRONG. Look up a definition. Gibraltar is populated by Gibraltarians, very few of whom are descended from English settlers (although Spain would have you believe otherwise.). So you cannot say that Gib is populated by a colony of English settlers - nor is administered from London (except for foreign relations and defence) so on both those counts it does not meet the definition of a colony.
You persistently ignoring the facts is enormously disrespectful to Gibraltar and plays into Spanish ambitions to steal it back.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeJ
You repeated the false statement that Gibraltar and NI are are colonies- which is just WRONG. Look up a definition. Gibraltar is populated by Gibraltarians, very few of whom are descended from English settlers (although Spain would have you believe otherwise.). So you cannot say that Gib is populated by a colony of English settlers - nor is administered from London (except for foreign relations and defence) so on both those counts it does not meet the definition of a colony.
You persistently ignoring the facts is enormously disrespectful to Gibraltar and plays into Spanish ambitions to steal it back.
Ok then. Northern Ireland and Gibraltar are areas that were originally colonized by the British. Perhaps there arenā€™t any descendants in Gibraltar now but I still see it as a colony. I donā€™t agree with Spain wanting to ā€œstealā€ it back. If itā€™s not a colony why would they want to steal it ā€œbackā€?

If you believe that Northern Irieland isnā€™t a colony then Iā€™d ask you why?
Old Feb 13th 2019, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok then. Northern Ireland and Gibraltar are areas that were originally colonized by the British. Perhaps there arenā€™t any descendants in Gibraltar now but I still see it as a colony. I donā€™t agree with Spain wanting to ā€œstealā€ it back. If itā€™s not a colony why would they want to steal it ā€œbackā€?

If you believe that Northern Irieland isnā€™t a colony then Iā€™d ask you why?
I'm getting a bit fed up with this. Whether you think it's a colony or not is neither here nor there since you are not the ICJ. I suggest you brush up on your history before you carry on with you ridiculous opinions. NI is populated mainly by Irish people, although a large number of Scots migrated there a couple of centuries ago. NI is part of the British Isles and could never have been considered a colony, despite the fact that the Republic of Ireland achieved independence it was a result of self determination and not decolonisation since it was never a colony. Neither is NI.
Gibraltar was ceded to England by the treaty of Utrecht at which time it became a British possession and was garrisoned with British troops. As it was a safe haven for many peoples from all over the Mediterranean area including Spain it soon became populated by a multicultural and multiracial community. At no time was it "colonised" as you put it (note it's colonised with an s not a z)

I am not going to continue banging my head against a wall trying to educate an ignoramus so you can have the last word!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.